ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dell Kace. Anybody use it?

Cupra
My Systems manager is off on holiday for three weeks and I don't want a project to get stuck for the duration.

I know there are a fair number of IT'ers here, does anybody use Kace to manage software/ image distribution? I need to pick some brains.

Cheers,
Andy

Rav4
Dell are really promoting this at the moment. The account manager and sales team are really being pro-active but unfortunately I have not used it. So cannot help.

Mr Knight might be able to help, sure he's played with it.

​G

Cupra
I spent the day playing with it and am pretty impressed. It's a powerful bit of kit and blows our old one out the water. We've had it in house for nearly 8 months and have done absolutely nothing with it as the guy who is responsible has been too busy.......

I'm just a bit lost and hoped somebody here had used it to manage a reasonable sized office/ flex positions etc.

E39 530i
Pretty much yeah, software and os deployment, asset management. And some other bits and pieces. I'm going on a training course soon so I'll be to report back with some answers.

Cupra
Cheers Jimmy.
I was just wanting to confirm that my understanding of how you should use it was correct.

Imaging
- create a basis image without anything installed other than Windows
- I still can't work out how to roll this out to production workstations so that they keep their original name (important for Applications which are linked to NETBIOS name)

Software installation
- I'm not clear why under Inventory you have a Software tab that you can upload the installers to
- I'm planning on using the deployment section for creating all my software installation packages. Zip the package with a .cmd file used to run the installers, move shortcuts and change rights on files/ folders etc. By attaching the packages to labels (linked to LDAP), I can automate the software roll out to the different departments. Is that the correct way of doing it?
- My sys admin was planning on using the scripting section for creating the installation packages with a check at the beginning of each script to check whether the software was already installed. That seems a bit backwards to me, when you have the deployment section.

Basically, I need to create a plan of attack for imaging workstations and rolling out the software to them... I can find a way of doing it, but am not certain that it is the most efficient way!

Any tips welcome!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Wouldn't it be using the nic and linking a netbios name to the machine (like sccm)...so if ever you wanted to interrogate the machine id...it would be via the nic amongst other things.