ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing advice - intermediate?

I've offered to properly clean and wax the old man's 997 over xmas. It's a silver one and the paint is already in good nick, just could do with a proper wash and wax.

I'm not going to clay it unless the paint feels contaminated, which I doubt it will but I intend to:

Meguiars Gold Class
Klass AIO, one coat
AG SRP, one coat
AG EGP, one coat on for 30 minutes and then one coat on for the rest of the day

Then I will need a wax/sealant to go over the EGP ideally.

So really, what I want to know is whether the above sounds okay, and recommend me a sealant/wax. Nothing that's mega bucks, as the rest of my kit isn't the same sort of quality, but something that will sit nicely on the EGP.

Further, can I use SRP on alloy wheels, I'd read somewhere that you could.

I have been using Megs #21 iirc, but that has now run out! Any other suggestions greatfully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

106 GTi
No real reason to do Klasse AIO and then a coat of SRP, both do the same thing though the SRP has more polishing ability.

Ideally EGP needs 12 to 24 hours between layers but if you dont have the time then straight over the top as you planned.

SRP and EGP work well on wheels.

As for waxes, for looks on Silver - P21s, to be more durable for winter protection Meguiars 16.

we PC'd a silver Audi TT and finished it off with Chemical Guys M Seal and XXX Hardcore Wax.. the finish was stunning

106 GTi
Only problem IMO on the Mseal is it is not in the same league of durability as the EGP.

106 GTi
#16 will out last the xxx and P21s.

P21s looks great on Silver though.

The Blitz spray sealant is well regarded, and easier to use than the EGP, but not seen any tests showing it last a british winter as yet. I am tempted to get some to try next time I do a CG order.

Lol, so I'm still stuck!

I quite liked using the EGP to be honest, so I think I'll go with what I (you!) know and keep that and buy the Megs #16 given the winter months. P21s may look good on silver (and I want his car to look as good as poss, given that Porsches always look good in silver), but for durability sounds like the 16 is the best.

How do I apply the #16? I assume with Meguiars applicators and a microfibre. After I've left the EGP for a min of 12 hours (I think I'll leave the first application of EGP on for 12 hours and then leave the second application for less than that), how do I put the #16 (or P21S if I go for that) on, do I leave it on there?

106 GTi
For winter I would go with EGP x 2 and 16 X 2. Save the P21s for summer. Car will look great with either.

16 apply with foam hand pad, and remove with a Microfiber.

I would apply EGP, leave for an hour, remove. Wait 12 hours, apply another coat of EGP, leave for an hour and remove. Wait 12 hours and apply the Megs #16.

You could then wait another 12 hours and then apply another coat of 16, but I would throw on another coat after its first wash. (once you have waxed you can't add more coats of EGP)

If you want you can do all these layers in one day, will probably look as good but wont last as long as they need time to set up and bond.

This is why I have stopped using EGP takes to long to set up, using Jeffs AGT I can do 3 layers of it in the time it would take to do one layer of EGP and no more 12 hour waits.

Well, I've got the old man to make space in the garage (heated, of sorts). I'm going home on the 23rd so I should be able to do it in fits and starts over the course of that weekend which would work out nicely.

Excellent advice matey, I'll do that then.

Thank you very much.

Just a brief update... over the weekend I did the old man's 997 over the course of two days (allowing a few hours between each stage to harden).

Gold glass
A little clay where necessary
SRP x1 (and on the wheels)
EGP x2 (and once on the wheels)
Megs #16 x2
AG Glass cleaner

The results are quite impressive, even in the dim light of the afternoon on Saturday... photos to come once he has washed it again and taken better photos in the light. Beaded nicely when it rained though ;)

... the best bit was that after it was all done, he let me drive it for the first time. Stunning, to drive a car that will (and did, "hello" to the 182 driver on the back roads around Maldon!) acclererate from 35 -75 in 6th gear quicker than the 182 acclerates flat out. Real world quick and just so easy to drive, and quickly at that.

Well done, you cleaned a car Jimma. Gold medal to you.

Thanks, appreciated.

@ Rich: Yeah, I know mate, didn't do it over Christmas and only just managed to get back to my olds in Essex to do it. Sad to say that the feeling of accomplishment with something I am very much an amateur at is really quite good! Thank you for the advice.