ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

172 cup
cheers,

another question for you all, if i were to use iron x and tardis would there be a need to clay, now i know that clay will get some contaminants that the products wont be able to get but will i have a good enough surface to polish/seal without claying?

thanks

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
cheers,

another question for you all, if i were to use iron x and tardis would there be a need to clay, now i know that clay will get some contaminants that the products wont be able to get but will i have a good enough surface to polish/seal without claying?

thanks

Impossible to tell without seeing the paint first hand.

Theres usually some tough spots that can't be removed chemically.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
thought so I'm just worried about marring the paint as I've heard it's easy to do ?

Light marring is always possible even if super careful. a mild clay and plenty of lube and you should be ok.

I tend not to clay the whole car (I don't have to) so I just target areas with visible spots remaining, and then do some test spots to check if theres nothing lurking that my eyes can't see.

172 cup
Light marring is always possible even if super careful. a mild clay and plenty of lube and you should be ok.

I tend not to clay the whole car (I don't have to) so I just target areas with visible spots remaining, and then do some test spots to check if theres nothing lurking that my eyes can't see.

cheers aucky,

do you know the answer to my previous question?
whats the difference between wax and sealant, is it the same sort of thing but wax just lasts longer?

ughhh to many questions

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
cheers aucky,

do you know the answer to my previous question?
whats the difference between wax and sealant, is it the same sort of thing but wax just lasts longer?

ughhh to many questions

They do the same job. The very short answer is - sealants are synthetic, waxes are more organic. Wax provides a warmer wetter look, and selants can give a glossier look.

In regular products, they both last 3-5 months ish.

They both do exactly the same job.

172 cup
They do the same job. The very short answer is - sealants are synthetic, waxes are more organic. Wax provides a warmer wetter look, and selants can give a glossier look.

In regular products, they both last 3-5 months ish.

They both do exactly the same job.

thought so, think i will be going for a sealant as they look easier to apply

cheers jack with that deal its on par with SRP price

No worries Jack. Cherry glaze is a good product and at that price it's even better. I really enjoy using it because it's just so easy to use and I find it spreads a lot better than srp and tripple. All three are good products and you won't go wrong with any of them. Just personal preference to which one you choose really.

At the moment I'm sure everything seems a bit confusing with so many different products on the market but once you get your head around it all you'll just know what works best for you.

Keep asking away tho, plenty of people on here to give you good advice.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Guys

Spent an age waxing the car yesterday and today its rained, the beading looks great but i would like to put another layer on it soon. So is there anyway of getting rid of the water without destroying the wax on there at the moment. Would a quick detailer and a microfiber cloth be best ?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Id give it à Quick rinse off & dry just incase there is any crap fallen on it with The rain.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm sure this has been asked / discussed before but...

I'll be getting my newly acquired car enhanced by a friendly detailer who frequents this forum, located in the Forest of Dean, in the next few weeks. He'll be applying CQuartz sealant for protection, so am I right in thinking I can be a bit indulgent with 'show' waxes afterwards? I've not used wax in a long time due to the ease and durability of sealants but I might splash out on a nice wax if it'll further improve the appearance?

Or will it just be a waste of time and money?

If it's worth it what's everyone's choice, up to £100 max.

Ta. xx

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I thought The point in ceramic sealants is that All you Need to do is maintain it with reload for example?

BMW E46 330i Touring
I thought The point in ceramic sealants is that All you Need to do is maintain it with reload for example?

Well, yeah, I agree. But the car is the wife's daily and a motorway hack so the sealant means it'll remain well protected when it's a bit neglected through the winter but I'd still like to give it some love. A good wax will still improve the finish won't it, whilst not having a negative effect on the durability of said sealant?

If it'll make no difference whatsoever then I'll save my money and just get Reload.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Well, yeah, I agree. But the car is the wife's daily and a motorway hack so the sealant means it'll remain well protected when it's a bit neglected through the winter but I'd still like to give it some love. A good wax will still improve the finish won't it, whilst not having a negative effect on the durability of said sealant?

If it'll make no difference whatsoever then I'll save my money and just get Reload.

Exactly. The CQ is the base. Make sure it's CQUK he's applying mate. Forget finest imo on your car.

Get him to top with reload then just wax when and if you want.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Is 2000 grit /2500 grit wet and dry good enough to take the edge off fresh paint? Had my dci's side painted out last week after I smashed it up, the paints not orange peel as such but the rest of the car looks like glass where as that whole side doesn't.

So my plan was to go over with 2000 then 2500 , and then compound/polish / refine back upto my standards.

Should be alright ?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Tar X seems to be in favour as of late, I've still got about 4 litres of Tardis to get through before I can consider anything else :(

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Nothing is quite as good as Tardis, but it's probably more hazardous than most out their. TarX is less likely to stain trim quite as much.

Coby, I'd happily buy some off you if we could meet up

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The way it is shipped from eBay is elegal as it needs to be carried in a suitable container, and it has happened before when some sellers have diluted the product

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Fair point.... I can meet up with the metal container and a funnel if you have a something to decant it into?

I'm free Tomorrow and Wednesday if that's any good?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Pressure washer advice again as I've still not bought one and getting a Snowfoam lance at the weekend.

Nilfisk Titan 120 - is this basically the Centenial replacement?

Anything better for the £90-100 it costs?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Pressure washer advice again as I've still not bought one and getting a Snowfoam lance at the weekend.

Nilfisk Titan 120 - is this basically the Centenial replacement?

Anything better for the £90-100 it costs?

That will do everything you need it too mate.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Centenial is just permanently out of stock everywhere near me so guess I'll go with the Titan instead :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Anyone have a used bottle of Z2 for sale? My one is running out but I don't use it much.