ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Nice thanks Dave, I was just thinking if what I had in the garage was fine before I bought anything. Is there a recommended cheap-ish wax over Tough Coat?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nice thanks Dave, I was just thinking if what I had in the garage was fine before I bought anything. Is there a recommended cheap-ish wax over Tough Coat?

Off the top of my head, a short life sealant can kill the life of a long lasting wax applied over the top. Tough coat lasts about 3/4 months off the top of my head.

Someone will confirm/deny this

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You wouldn't wax over TC. Buy some Bilt Hamber finis wax, they do a small 50ml pot that'll still last years for about £12. It'll out last 90% of waxes but it's lovely to use.

If not TC on it's own would be fine but would last amazngly well over glazes etc.

Amigo needs to be used by machine to get the best from it, I also feel Amigo is bet on corrected paint as it has no bite. Something like Lime Prime would offer better filling/correction on PB. :) Will you be using machine? Tripple is very good by hand. I still find it dries too quickly and can be dusty but others love it.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry guys I worded my previous post wrong, what I meant to say was is there a cheap-ish wax to use VS. Tough Coat, rather than on top of it. gally I will be applying everything by hand, and the paint will be brand new (probably with dealer prep) if that makes a difference. Unsure if I've made the correct decision with a black car but I've never owned one before and fancied a challenge lol

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm regretting owning a black car, but it was the best car out of those I looked at so had to ignore colour. Can never wash it in the summer till 8pm onwards

cant really think of a cheap wax I've used myself for a similar price that would leave a comparable or better finish and be nice to use. Stick to tripple and tough coat for a quick simple great combo, re apply toughcoat every 4 to 6 weeks as it's so simple to use and you'll have no trouble keeping it clean

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry guys I worded my previous post wrong, what I meant to say was is there a cheap-ish wax to use VS. Tough Coat, rather than on top of it. gally I will be applying everything by hand, and the paint will be brand new (probably with dealer prep) if that makes a difference. Unsure if I've made the correct decision with a black car but I've never owned one before and fancied a challenge lol

Tripple and TC is a great combo. Personally something like Finis wax even at £12 is worth a try. I think Autosmart wax is also very underrated, been using it over (instead of) AG HD recently as it's impressed me that much.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm regretting owning a black car, but it was the best car out of those I looked at so had to ignore colour. Can never wash it in the summer till 8pm onwards

cant really think of a cheap wax I've used myself for a similar price that would leave a comparable or better finish and be nice to use. Stick to tripple and tough coat for a quick simple great combo, re apply toughcoat every 4 to 6 weeks as it's so simple to use and you'll have no trouble keeping it clean

Why is that?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Panel temperatures are silly hot, really holds the heat so dries very quickly. Also being gloss black, no metallic it shows up every water mark.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
20% off at carpel this week

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately as it was my first year at waxstock, I wanted to experience the show rather than being stuck to a stand peddling wares all day.
CarPro products were in short supply at waxstock, due to various reasons.

We would like to make up for that and are offering a post show discount.

All this week we will be running a 20% off discount code for any product on www.carpro.uk.com

We are restocking today also, which will see the restock of the new updated TR.IX in 500ml size, the boa and hybrid towels along with a whole host of other products being topped up or restocked.

Discount code : Waxstock20 please enter this at checkout.

Thanks
Craig
CarPro UK​

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Dan PM me your address i'll send you my kit down. Send it back up when your finished doing the wheels and any plastics.

You use very very little. Immense product.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dan PM me your address i'll send you my kit down. Send it back up when your finished doing the wheels and any plastics.

You use very very little. Immense product.

Fucksticks.

Too late but thanks for the offer!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate. If you run out give me a shout. It really does go so far so don't over use.

Arctic 182
I'm in the market for a new snow foam. I've had Magifoam & DJ Apple iFoam. After something effective but wallet friendly, any ideas chaps?

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Cool cheers. Just bought some of that and some more Hydr02. (and applied the discount too :D)

Is this Hydr02 really good? I've seen you talk a few times about it - is it best to wash/clay/wax and then apply Hydr02 or just put it straight on?

The Golf needs some protection so wondering about this stuff :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair Hydro last me about 3 months with a good coat.

So to Bubbles, substitute the wax for a hand polish or glaze then hyrdo it. Wet the car, spray on hyrdo, leave for 30 seconds or so out of sunlight then a really good pressure wash.

You can also apply hydro without it being wet also. Just spray on like a sealant and wipe on/off with a cloth.

Golf GTD
Can anyone tell me the differences between ValetPro PH neutral and ValetPro Advanced Neutral snow foams? Also are they both LSP safe?

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
To be fair Hydro last me about 3 months with a good coat.

So to Bubbles, substitute the wax for a hand polish or glaze then hyrdo it. Wet the car, spray on hyrdo, leave for 30 seconds or so out of sunlight then a really good pressure wash.

You can also apply hydro without it being wet also. Just spray on like a sealant and wipe on/off with a cloth.

Thank you :)

What would you recommend for a polish? Is the P1 a bit hard to apply by hand? Have always used Meguiar's previously and still have some of that and some Poorboys on the shelve too.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
No problem mate. If you run out give me a shout. It really does go so far so don't over use.

How far should the little bottle go just out of curiosity?

I used it on my alloys last Friday. Ended up using probably just under half the bottle on 4 wheels (172 alloys, done the backs of them too). Is that about right or too much?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is this Hydr02 really good? I've seen you talk a few times about it - is it best to wash/clay/wax and then apply Hydr02 or just put it straight on?

The Golf needs some protection so wondering about this stuff :)

It's superb. I'm sure there are better products out there, but for application speed vs longevity, it's bloody brilliant. Once I've polished a car I genuinely cannot be fucked to seal it by hand unless I'm being paid to do so.

On my own cars I wash, decontaminate wash then polish with SRP then do the Hydr02.

I do my wife's car every now and again (half heartedly) but my clio I did ages ago.... I've since sold it to McGherkin and he's shown me pictures of it still beading!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
^ He speaketh the truth. Was all beaded up yesterday too.

800.gif

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you :)

What would you recommend for a polish? Is the P1 a bit hard to apply by hand? Have always used Meguiar's previously and still have some of that and some Poorboys on the shelve too.

Blackhole? If that's what it is i'd go for that after claying then Hydro.

P1 is a proper hand/machine polish, you don't need that for a new car imo. Something like Lime Prime, AF Tripple of rejuvenate or their new glaze. Lime Prime is my favourite still. Has abrasives for machine, cleanses so well and fills with it's oils.

Plenty different ones out there. SRP is the same idea as tripple.

How far should the little bottle go just out of curiosity?

I used it on my alloys last Friday. Ended up using probably just under half the bottle on 4 wheels (172 alloys, done the backs of them too). Is that about right or too much?

Imo that's maybe too much but it just depends.

My Brother used half a tub of collinites waxing a Focus. Looked like he had eaten half the tub! Stuff should last 20 years if you were doing your own car!

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Blackhole? If that's what it is i'd go for that after claying then Hydro.

P1 is a proper hand/machine polish, you don't need that for a new car imo. Something like Lime Prime, AF Tripple of rejuvenate or their new glaze. Lime Prime is my favourite still. Has abrasives for machine, cleanses so well and fills with it's oils.

Plenty different ones out there. SRP is the same idea as tripple.

Yes have Blackhole - so will use that then. Thank you gally Mr.Potato - really helpful :-D

The TT will get the P1 :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol! Such a bwab! Send me that glaze to try JD, i'm intrigued!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I need to stop looking at wet sanding threads :dapprove:

It looks so inviting!

I've done bits, and I have some headlights to do in the coming weeks but once you start on a panel it's a bit of a commitment isn't it.