ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
What show foams are people using these days?

Normally use BH auto foam as it's the best for cleaning but want something a bit thicker this time. Purely out of boredom in lockdown [emoji1787]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Normally use BH auto foam as it's the best for cleaning but want something a bit thicker this time. Purely out of boredom in lockdown [emoji1787]
Autosmart, 100%!
Best I’ve ever used.
0CE98B55-F4F4-48C1-A533-30DEBDC33956.jpeg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You need to get the name Dan. There are like 6 of them. c***s make so many products that do the same thing. They brought out a spray foam/seal product recently aswell!

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
For cleaning properties i would stick with bilt hamber auto foam or koch chemie green star through a lance they both clean extremely well...autosmart ultra mousse does foam up very well,but in my opinion does not clean no way as good as the two that i mentioned before...

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Bilt hamber or candyfluff are the best I have used I I have tried a fair few.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't change BH for boredom. Stuff is so good at what it does and so well priced. Green Star is actually priced even better! So much value for money.
Tbf I've still got over half a gallon of BH left just wanting a thicker one for a longer dwell, Makes my quick clean take a bit longer [emoji1787]

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
What's best for cleaning off brake calipers before painting later brake cleaner only or anything else recommended?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
20200406_144549.jpg
20200406_144605.jpg

Advice needed. As you can see, I've achieved quite a fair correction (in my opinion) and I'm pretty pleased considering this is the first time ive really given this a shot. The second image is after. Should I continue to try and achieve full correction or just go to polish now? I'm not hunting the perfect paint, just wondering if you lot think it's worth going over again? Cheers!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
What sort of mixing ratios are people using for BH? I have a 900ml bottle on the lance if that’s any help.

I used it yesterday and used 200ml of BH mixed with 200ml of water and that let me go around the car about 3 times and stuck well. Is that too much, not enough, just right?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Seems way too much. I work it out at between 10:1 for heavy soil and and 20:1 for light. I actually prefer through a pump sprayer but same idea really.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Great, ta. Never bothered using it before but thought I’d give it a bash, see what happens. Will try a ratio like above next wash, which i guess could be months away at this rate.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I actually prefer through a pump sprayer but same idea really.

Same.

I got fed up with having to mess about with the foam lance even for little, quick washes. Now I've a big pump sprayer mixed up with it and use that, makes it so much easier and, dare I say, think it works better that way. It's almost like a citrus pre wash.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Same.

I got fed up with having to mess about with the foam lance even for little, quick washes. Now I've a big pump sprayer mixed up with it and use that, makes it so much easier and, dare I say, think it works better that way. It's almost like a citrus pre wash.
It does work better. All pre sprays are better than snowfoam. It hits the dirt. Snowfoam is good and BH does work but pump sprayers are true pre washes.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of mixing ratios are people using for BH? I have a 900ml bottle on the lance if that’s any help.

I used it yesterday and used 200ml of BH mixed with 200ml of water and that let me go around the car about 3 times and stuck well. Is that too much, not enough, just right?

200ml of product with 200ml of water is 1:1 ratio 😂

Well too much.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Fully decon'd the car. Clay bar and tar removal (surprised at the amount of tar!). Washed twice. Managed to cut and polish the bonnet as was experimenting with different compounds. Absolutely shagged now. Roll on tomorrow for a quick wash again as being left outside over night. Then cut and polish the rest 🤘

Thanks everyone for the tips. No doubt I'll be back asking tomorrow

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
After some advice. A mate of mine has just acquired an old 1990 Westfield.
He's asked me to help do the cosmetic side of the refurb.

Any suggestions on tackling the fibreglass panels?

They just look tired.

Any specific products or techniques to use?
I've both a rotary and da and variety of pads. Just don't want to jump in too heavy handed

Any advice appreciated

@gally @Waitey

Clio 172 Cup
Fully decon'd the car. Clay bar and tar removal (surprised at the amount of tar!). Washed twice. Managed to cut and polish the bonnet as was experimenting with different compounds. Absolutely shagged now. Roll on tomorrow for a quick wash again as being left outside over night. Then cut and polish the rest 🤘

Thanks everyone for the tips. No doubt I'll be back asking tomorrow
Get some pics up mate it’s hard work but results are worth it

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What do people recommend for tar removal? I have some Autoglym stuff which is not too bad on a microfiber cloth on small spots. Is there any good spray on stuff similar to iron X for tar removal?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Just found some Autoglym "Extra Gloss Protection" Sealant I got given for xmas. Anyone used this? Recommends it after polishing (I assume to lock in any fillers) but as im not sure of Meguiars Ultimate Polish has any fillers, is this useful?
Can you wax over the top?

(Yes, I know, I want to wax everything lol. Just seems a shame to not use all the waxes I bought)

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
It comes in a 5 litre tin that you decant,I have been using it for 7 years now,it can eat through any tar spot...just make sure that you put it in a chemical resistant bottle or tardis will destroy it...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Extra gloss, been around for years and does what most new stuff does now

Tar remover. TARDIS is pretty decent.