ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What do people recommend for tar removal? I have some Autoglym stuff which is not too bad on a microfiber cloth on small spots. Is there any good spray on stuff similar to iron X for tar removal?
I've never used the Tardis, 5 ltrs is way too much for what i need. I just got the 500ml Gyeon Tar, plus it's Ph Neutral too. Just spray on and do it's work and leave then wipe off.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It comes in a 5 litre tin that you decant,I have been using it for 7 years now,it can eat through any tar spot...just make sure that you put it in a chemical resistant bottle or tardis will destroy it...

Cheers, had a couple of cars lately that seem to have a load of tar on the lower part of wings and doors. Too much to wipe off with the autoglym stuff. That is more for the odd spot of tar!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Just found some Autoglym "Extra Gloss Protection" Sealant I got given for xmas. Anyone used this? Recommends it after polishing (I assume to lock in any fillers) but as im not sure of Meguiars Ultimate Polish has any fillers, is this useful?
Can you wax over the top?

(Yes, I know, I want to wax everything lol. Just seems a shame to not use all the waxes I bought)

I wouldn't bother with EGP if you intend on applying a Wax, Both are LSPs so usually one or the other.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I wouldn't bother with EGP if you intend on applying a Wax, Both are LSPs so usually one or the other.
Basically I've been a massive fan of the spray on 'ceramic' waxes. But I just fancy a change. So should I just polish and then go straight to wax?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
539FA454-CA57-4300-9816-1F569E368B81.jpeg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Struggling to get decent correction though under sunlight. Using Menzerna FG400 and an orange autofinesse pad.

image.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It will be hard. AF pads were designed for a DA and their polish.

What machine do you have?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It will be hard. AF pads were designed for a DA and their polish.

What machine do you have?

Das6pro. Ive also got autofinesse polishes but they’re very old and look like the liquid has split (if that makes sense).

Clio 172 Cup
What I have had to think is my car is 16 years old and to get it like I have is an achievement it’s never going to be perfect as I am no professional, really impressed with your work lads 👍

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I love how everyone is polishing !!! Great results lad I have just finished mine got the plastics to treat tomoz, it’s good to see what people achieve with different methods
Its cos everyone's got the time haha! Cheers, I'm honestly chuffed. This is the first serious correction I've done and I'm happy with the results. Still need to polish it up but its going well. I've also just found a section on the bonnet I must have missed 🙈

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Its cos everyone's got the time haha! Cheers, I'm honestly chuffed. This is the first serious correction I've done and I'm happy with the results. Still need to polish it up but its going well. I've also just found a section on the bonnet I must have missed 🙈

What are you using? Im getting so pissed off.. polish dust everywhere, and then I feel like im damaging it wiping it off.

Clio 172 Cup
I used menerza super finish followed by amigo prime and auto glym hd wax gave a nice finish after compounding

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
What are you using? Im getting so pissed off.. polish dust everywhere, and then I feel like im damaging it wiping it off.
I'm using a hex logic green pad (medium/ light polish) with meguiars ultimate compound. I found it to be a nice balance between getting the swirls removed without going too nuts. It's also the heaviest pad I've got lol.

I'm not getting that much dust tbh. Keeping the working area in the shade helps which is why my car was at a weird angle. I'm also keeping on top of cleaning the pad which maybe helps?

Dont get pissed off with it. It's all a learning curve. I just got lucky that I managed to find a good combo. At the end of the day, unless you are throwing compound at it with your hands, anything is better than nothing mate :)

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm using a hex logic green pad (medium/ light polish) with meguiars ultimate compound. I found it to be a nice balance between getting the swirls removed without going too nuts. It's also the heaviest pad I've got lol.

I'm not getting that much dust tbh. Keeping the working area in the shade helps which is why my car was at a weird angle. I'm also keeping on top of cleaning the pad which maybe helps?

Dont get pissed off with it. It's all a learning curve. I just got lucky that I managed to find a good combo. At the end of the day, unless you are throwing compound at it with your hands, anything is better than nothing mate :)

I’ve reduced the swirls a lot, probably 75% or so. Im going to call it a day, and put some wax on it tonight/tomorrow when the sun is down. It’s bloody boiling here now, im burnt! I’ve still got the glass, exhaust tips, interior and engine bay to do.

FB6838D4-9445-4CEB-B610-4E6143A53781.jpeg
F1FBF160-B839-4634-B382-34D97D450C98.jpeg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I’ve reduced the swirls a lot, probably 75% or so. Im going to call it a day, and put some wax on it tonight/tomorrow when the sun is down. It’s bloody boiling here now, im burnt! I’ve still got the glass, exhaust tips, interior and engine bay to do.

View attachment 1464243View attachment 1464244
75% is still a massive achievement on a black car. The difference must be huge!

It's hot here too (sussex) and I'm getting properly red. Keep coming inside and getting laughed at 😂.

Post some pics when it's all waxed up 👍

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Im getting so pissed off.. polish dust everywhere, and then I feel like im damaging it wiping it off.

Mist the pad with QD prior applying the polish.

Quick wipe over with Eraser or the likes to check correction is always needed, dust or no dust.

Clio 172 Cup
After reading this thread last night I decided to give the RB a going over.

Sonax perfect finish on a yellow and then poorboys blue on a blue hex. Unfortunately, I've not a lot of sonax left, so it was a quick one. Results are still good though.
Get some pics up mate sound good 👍

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
These are just quick photos. I'll get some better ones once I'm done but I'm stopping for now to have lunch (and browse CS) and then I'll be out to do plastics I think.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I remember pics of RBs littering the media thread. Sad times!

One of the most amazing colours ever made and suited the 182 to perfection. So many products I lavished on RBs. So rewarding.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys. Yes, when all clean the white against the RB make both pop. The colours work well with each other i think.

Going to order some pearl i think, after reading on here. I have carpro black to the future and it doesn't last that great i dont think.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Also, after recommendation from @gally im going to buy some Rapid Detailer. I have Poorboys QD which ive always been a fan of and also have Carpro Elixr and P&S bead maker. Im getting low on Poorboys, haven't tried Elixr yet, but i know Gally knows he's stuff when it come to all this.