ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looks as though some wet and dry would sort that tbh if its stainless steel.

Start with some 1500 and see how it goes, if 1500 does not touch it then try 1000 then work up until you can polish it up.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It would probably but may get diluted too much, hence why they brought out avalanche. I personally would spray the CP on then snow foam after it has dwelled.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So is acalanche any good then? Currently use magifoam and tbh I rate that, but I'm gonna run out soon so maybe time to try something different

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Probably the wrong thread, but my Drivers front wheel has suffered from Bodgery, I used truck wash on the wheels to clean the brake cakes off them but this wheel I forgot about it and left the chemical on ( about 20 mins ) as had a phone call from work, now I cannot get the marks off. Any suggestions. Can try and post a pic later if it helps.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
So is acalanche any good then? Currently use magifoam and tbh I rate that, but I'm gonna run out soon so maybe time to try something different

Avalanche is much more a watery consistency than many other snow foams so doesn't dwell for as long. I only had a small sample of it but didn't do a bad job, certainly no worse than the others out there.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Most people i've heard didn't actually rate it. Great idea in principle but hard to pull of, just dilute the CP like Dave does and then SF after. SFs are much of muchness hence Russ now using the VP stuff, good price and does what the rest do.

Is CP really as safe as AF make out?

Have you looked at Megs Hyper wash video from Polished Bliss?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'll just stick with magifoam then, shame it smells horrible IMO. Bananas my arse!

Whats VP gally?

Noticed some light swirls developing on the focus today :( think I'm gonna buy some new mitts

VP = valet pro. And isn't your ST protected by CQUK? If so, what on earth are you washing it with?! It should be holding up to wash marring.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You not have the Cquartz Mitt? They do need looking after to be fair. 2BM also?

ValetPro is the other SF mate, well priced and does what it says on the tin. Is you shampoo nice and slick? Are you drying the car or leaving to air dry?

Swirls in the most parts can come from the drying stage.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Normally I'd snow foam, leave to dwell, rinse, snow foam again and wash (2bm) with AF lather using 2 microfibre mitts (1top 1bottom) then rinse again and pat dry with my plush drying towel.

​yes it has cquartz finest on there and regularly gets topped up with diluted reload (which could also be adding to the problem)

might start leaving it dry naturally if I'm not sticking reload on there. Am I right in saying if I stick some deamon shine dilutedwith distiller water all over it afterwards it will dry nicley?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not quite mate, spray on the whole car and then you actually power wash it off. Dilute 50/50 though and don't let it dry on the paintwork before PW'ing off.

What drying towel are you using? Also reload should only be once every 3 months really mate. A QD can be used between washes but ideally you want to touch the car as little as possible, that's the crux of the issue.

If you're baller buy as drying machine. No not from Polished Bliss at a 600% mark up. Pet dryer off Ebay for example.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I have been meaning to buy an air drier just haven't fit round to it. Could use it on the dog too lol.

Realod is probably done once a month but like I said its diluted so I thought little and offen may be better. But I do get that I'm touching the car more then. Just can't help feel a little let down with the finest tbh. Got a need to apply reload as a protection.

Currently using the yellow plush drying towel from cleanyourcar (think us a polished bliss one) but I've had the wooly mammoth on my shopping list for weeks now lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No the plush one is great, thought it was a cheap Blue one you might have been using. And you're patting dry so no harm there. The wiping over with reload once a month can obviously cause issues.

The fact you're doing a lot of miles or it seems to get dirty says it's going to be covered in crap. 2BM with plenty of PW and pre wash will help keep wash marring to a minimum. Washing it often etc is obviously going to put light marks in the paint. Keeping it 100% corrected will be impossible really.

My old C1 seemed to work very very well at that but I had never QD'd it, only ever got washed with GWash and mostly air/driven dry after work therefore it never received much "touching".

If you feel you need to top the reload after one month then you're doing something wrong.

Remember, cars that detailers take care of don't get topped up at every maintenance wash. It's washed safely and dried in a lot of cases.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The only reason I'm topping the reload up is because I have little faith in the finest. That and when I wash the car I find myself with more than enough time to give it another going over.

i would consider my wash technique relatively safe tbh, the weak point is my mitts IMO, then there is the application of reload that is probably the issue.

I try to buy the proper stuff if I'm going to do it, I do t mind forking out a bit extra for the better product, hence I went for the plush towel over the MF ones etc.
​does get very expensive though

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Seems like you have had terrible luck with Finest! The reviews from yourself have certainly put me off it although I'm still well and truly a wax man!

The only reason I'm topping the reload up is because I have little faith in the finest. That and when I wash the car I find myself with more than enough time to give it another going over.

i would consider my wash technique relatively safe tbh, the weak point is my mitts IMO, then there is the application of reload that is probably the issue.

I try to buy the proper stuff if I'm going to do it, I do t mind forking out a bit extra for the better product, hence I went for the plush towel over the MF ones etc.
​does get very expensive though

How was the Finest situation sorted in the end mate?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a bottle of reload and applied that.

i did wash it with lather before I applied reload, so I don't actually know if there is any difference to the coating after that.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Has anybody ever found anything good to polish the scratches from the plastic cover in front of the speedo? Seems to be the most easily scratched material in the world

Quick question, I used a DA with black Hex Logic pad with Tripple followed by Tough coat on pearl black a few months ago, but it hasn't stayed as black as I want. I want to polish again tomorrow, but don't have time to go and get any new materials. Can I use AG Paint renovator with the DA & if so should I use Hex Logic Green pad (heavy polishing) or Orange pad (Medium heavy cutting) I also have the black pad. I'll then follow with Tough coat. (I also still have Tripple, AG SRP & AG EGP)

I need a wax recommendation for the Sunflower.

I can't really get on with AF Soul. Quite a soft wax, whereas i'm used to a harder wax.

Someone's already suggested Zymol Carbon. Is that any good? I'm looking for something with a decent durability along with giving plenty of gloss.

I won't speak much of a budget atm, as i'm open to most suggestions, as long as they're not stupid ;).

I've been using CitrusPower to aid the stripping of wallpaper today, it actually works amazingly well.

I need a wax recommendation for the Sunflower.

I can't really get on with AF Soul. Quite a soft wax, whereas i'm used to a harder wax.

Someone's already suggested Zymol Carbon. Is that any good? I'm looking for something with a decent durability along with giving plenty of gloss.

I won't speak much of a budget atm, as i'm open to most suggestions, as long as they're not stupid ;).

You tried AG HD yet? or DJ Supernatural? Welcome to borrow either.

Supernatural is on my list, as I know ill get on with that & the high quality finish it'll give me.

I'm going to stay away from the AG HD wax tbh though. Because snob and I like to try different things.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Carbon is quite soft I've found. I have a sample of car chem connoisseur which is a hard wax, it gives great gloss and is supposed to be good for around 3 months. The samples (50ml) can be got for £10 or the full pot @ £30.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Supernatural is nice mate but has gassing issues although not as bad as V1.

If it's a show wax look at something like Lusso Oro? Topped with C2 V3 for durability.

Carbon is lovely though and well priced. Zymol boutique feel but cheap.

Oro is very oily mate so will look wet. How's your prep?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Quick question, I used a DA with black Hex Logic pad with Tripple followed by Tough coat on pearl black a few months ago, but it hasn't stayed as black as I want. I want to polish again tomorrow, but don't have time to go and get any new materials. Can I use AG Paint renovator with the DA & if so should I use Hex Logic Green pad (heavy polishing) or Orange pad (Medium heavy cutting) I also have the black pad. I'll then follow with Tough coat. (I also still have Tripple, AG SRP & AG EGP)

how many months since application? Might just be that it's starting to wear off.

If the car is still coming up nice and clean just add another layer of toughcoat. If it isnt then just work tripple by hand, doesn't need to be applied by machine, then top with toughcoat

182 Cup
are there any products good for restoring colour on convertible hoods? Also any good cleaning stuff other than the AG kit as its been tried and not shifted the green tinge.

FF Racing Blue 182
are there any products good for restoring colour on convertible hoods? Also any good cleaning stuff other than the AG kit as its been tried and not shifted the green tinge.

There is a thread about a messy hood and talk about cleaners in it

how many months since application? Might just be that it's starting to wear off.

If the car is still coming up nice and clean just add another layer of toughcoat. If it isnt then just work tripple by hand, doesn't need to be applied by machine, then top with toughcoat

About 3 months ago. It still feels smooth & looks shiny, just looks a bit grey again. Thanks for the advice, I will try that now!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Quick question I'll be giving the car a good clean including clay and a go over with tripple in a few weeks.

Don't really want to be spending unnecessary £ so was just checking the collinite 845 insulator wax I've been using will be fine and won't harm the tripple at all? Pretty much once the tripple is applied I'm sort of stuck as to what to apply. All I have is the 845 and Werkstat acrylic jett.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
845 will be fine mate. You'd need at least 2 layers of Jett if you were going down that road.

Both good products.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one mate thanks.

Couple more questions lol.. Anyone tried AF oblitarate and is it any good? And I currently have a shopping list on PolishedBliss but they don't do the chem guys hex black pad would the 3M Blue pad be okay or would you advice I do a separate order on CYC? (pad will be for the tripple applied by DA)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Oblitarate for me has been as good as Tardis, just more expensive.

blue 3m will be fine. Are you using rotary or da? If da maybe have a look at the Scholl pads, they will be on my next order