ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
The wax in the latest waxy box is really nice (assuming you've got the green sticker) it's really oily and leaves a very glossy finish, durability however I'm not sure as I've only hat it on a wing for a few days.

Personally if I was doing it for a day I'd be all over tripple / tough coat. Using your DA and a finishing pad on low speeds will make it ultra easy to get a couple of applications of tripple on which should cleanse and fill the paint and you may even get some very minor correction. Then go for a coupleof layers of tough coat as that combo is really working well at the moment IMO.

Edit; this is aimed at Ry!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
The wax in the latest waxy box is really nice (assuming you've got the green sticker) it's really oily and leaves a very glossy finish, durability however I'm not sure as I've only hat it on a wing for a few days.

Personally if I was doing it for a day I'd be all over tripple / tough coat. Using your DA and a finishing pad on low speeds will make it ultra easy to get a couple of applications of tripple on which should cleanse and fill the paint and you may even get some very minor correction. Then go for a coupleof layers of tough coat as that combo is really working well at the moment IMO.

His car doesnt fit in the garage, and I don't really like machining outdoors Unfortunately, and I don't find machining enjoyable really.

i assumed Tripple and Tough Coat would work well, but having seen Black Hole on his car before is tempting me away! Decisions decisions..

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Ohh, another thing. I have half a bag (one of the refill bags) of iron X that is a month out of date. I do have an in date bottle too, would it do anything if I used the old one? Cant imagine it would do anything that terrible

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
When applying srp polish theres sort of dirty spots on the paintwork with a bit of smearing, does that mean the car needs claying?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Will be using Reload this week, and wondered is it like C2 in that it can be applied on any surface, paint, glass, plastics?

Any specific do's and don'ts with application?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Will be using Reload this week, and wondered is it like C2 in that it can be applied on any surface, paint, glass, plastics?

I was reliably informed it will go over anything! I'm sceptical about using over glazes etc but sounds like it can be used like C2v3.

And yes, glass, plastic, trims, metal. :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Don't put it on the glass, its crap IMO

​although that was over g1 so that may be the issue

my G1 has all but gone after 2 years, only beads after its been washed and doesn't really sheet al that we'll until 60. As soon as it starts to get dirty it doesn't work so can't be any worse.

Last edited:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Reload sort of goes creamy on the glass though, leaves like a polish residue on the glass. Hard to explain but IMO anyway it's not the best to use in glass.

​brilliant everywhere else though

What would people suggest for a motorcycle helmet visor? Something which will last and bead water well?

Think I have a small amount of G3 left, any good on perspex?

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
I use G3 on mine,

​I've not found any of them bead off overly well, needs a turn of the head sideways and then it clears almost instantly

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Used the hot wheels stuff today. Holy moly!! That's some good stuff. Glad I bought so many bottles now. :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Reload sort of goes creamy on the glass though, leaves like a polish residue on the glass. Hard to explain but IMO anyway it's not the best to use in glass.

​brilliant everywhere else though

ah I thought you were referring to its performance. I've used C1.5 and C2 on glass previously and not had any problems like that, bit of a negative as was hoping to keep the glass performing until a couple of cars need G1

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
ah I thought you were referring to its performance. I've used C1.5 and C2 on glass previously and not had any problems like that, bit of a negative as was hoping to keep the glass performing until a couple of cars need G1

​Give it a go, it might have been how I was using it but I was definitely unimpressed with it on the glass and it was very hard to buff off afterwards

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Cheers Dave will see how much I've got left.

You tried anything else?

you'll only need the tiniest amounts.
I've tried a few other sealants as well as rainx

even a quick detailing spray with good water behaviour works just doesn't last all that long especially through the summer with regular washing of bug splatter

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Mate of mine painted the outside of his house a couple of weeks ago but didn't move his car off the drive while he did it. His car (Cmax) now has specs of paint all over it.

He told me on Sunday that he spent an hour with some t-cut getting it off of just one panel.

I've suggested he comes to mine and we try and tackle the job with my DA.

My question is what products should I be looking at using? I've got 3 meguiars pads (cutting, polishing and finishing pads) but I only have Meguiars ultimate polish and some Prima Amigo glaze. Would either of these do the job do you think? Or would it be best to clay it first and then use the DA?

Hope this doesn't make me sound like to much of an idiot!

Ron

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Look into using a chemical cleaner, or clay first before trying a compound on it. Try Tardis, ipa or panel wipe, werkstat prime and AF Rejuvenate did a fair job of removing some fence preserver my neighbour kindly left on my bonnet.

a harsh clay will remove overspray but obviously leave its own marring.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
C2v3 works fine on glass dave and you need very little if you're testing.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Help me out here struggling to get my head around it.

Hard paint, for example using a yellow hex pad and a heavy compound to correct it. To refine then you need to step down the pad/polish? But if the paint is hard then it's not going to do anything to it? Or does the paint soften as you go?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The heavy hit stuff removes the defects mate.

The refining removes the holograms of polish etc from the paint so the finishing polish isn't really removing any of the lacquer it's just removing anything on top and glossing it up.

Compound is for cutting the lacquer. Finishing is for.. Finishing/refining.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Got it! Thanks.

been bugging me for weeks lol. Got a BMW to do tomorrow too so thought I'd better ask

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

I have only used reload on my rear windscreen, works fine. No smears and sheets through dirt too.

It does make the wiper a bit.. Scrapey though, feels grippy, kind of jumps about a bit.
​Wouldnt use it on my windscreen

BMW E46 330i Touring
I had to remove little specs of paint from my Dad's car a few weeks ago. Clay shifted it quite comfortably.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Guys, quick Q.

Can I layer SRP?! I've got an automatic car wash victim in my bay and the guy doesn't want to pay any extra for correction but I feel guilty sending it out the way it is.

If it won't layer I'll leave it. Especially as its hotter than the sun in here.