ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If you want a DA buy the Pro. It's just much nicer to use and it's more powerful which is essential. I use mine a lot now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How much effort are you putting in Dan? Proper machine polishing?

I have a rotary and a da.

I will do whatever you experts tell me to do. I'm perfectly competent ability wise, just not very good with product placements.

172 cup
I've got both. Desire has a different smell, is oilier and is a different colour.

I'm yet to use my sample of desirable but I'd say it's a different wax because so much is different. The texture of the two waxes is very different. Desirable feels quite oily but desire is on a whole other level. Desire is just so oily in comparison.

Desirable does look a good wax for the money tho.

How can you tell its on another level without using it. I'd be interested to see what you thought once you've used both I've used desire a lot an really like it but seeing the threads about desirable makes me wonder if it's the thinking mans desire ? Wouldn't mind trying it out an comparing the both

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Potato, do you still class yourself as a valeter? As im sure you've delved over into detailing.

or do you just valet customers cars?

I've never done a 'detail' for money so I can't call myself a detailer really.

The last one I did I spent 3 days on.

I charge £120 a day for valeting so I can't see many people wanting to spend £360+ on me doing their car seeing as I don't actually know anyone with a nice car.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ok is desire worth the extra money I was about to buy it for myself then came across this can of worms so wanted to know which was the better choice

I'd rather spend an extra few quid and get Shield.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've never done a 'detail' for money so I can't call myself a detailer really.

The last one I did I spent 3 days on.

I charge £120 a day for valeting so I can't see many people wanting to spend £360+ on me doing their car seeing as I don't actually know anyone with a nice car.

Ah I see.

You seem to put a lot of effort into your valets from what I've seen though don't you, whereas the polskis seem to show the car a dirty sponge then drag a slice of cow over it to finish off

How can you tell its on another level without using it. I'd be interested to see what you thought once you've used both I've used desire a lot an really like it but seeing the threads about desirable makes me wonder if it's the thinking mans desire ? Wouldn't mind trying it out an comparing the both

I didn't say the wax as a whole was on another level I was saying desires level of oiliness was on another level. Desire is much oilier than desirable and therefore different.

If you get your pot of desire and rub your finger around the top of the pot you'll notice straight away how it gets oily very very quickly. Desireable doesn't really do this. It does to a certain degree like most waxes but you can just tell straight away that desire is the oiler of the two. You don't need to actually apply them to a panel to know they aren't the same. The differences are obvious just from first impressions.

They are different waxes.

I agree with Gally. I wouldn't pay rrp for desire. I think it's very nice but desire isn't a special wax if that's the sort of thing your into.

You can get a 100ml pot of desirable so maybe it's worth a punt and seeing for yourself.

If I was in your position I'd either get something completely different like shield or give desirable a try. I don't think you'll go far wrong with either of them so I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
Can I get some advice on my product/technique/results please.

At the weekend I cleaned both ours cars, they've come up great, but I'm not 100% happy with the beading I've seen this morning (neither car has been driven since being cleaned).

Mine = Prima Amigo, Zaino Z2, Z6, Z8.
Wifes = Zaino Z2, Z6, Z8.

Mine had three coats on the bonnet, everywhere else one coat. Is this the reason I'm not getting great beading?

Yesterday
13930187909_9a1b2b43e2_o.jpg

13930231208_9090fd1244_o.jpg

This morning
13933862158_c22ec05b4f_o.jpg

13933831349_4fd339a6a9_o.jpg

13933888860_f729dc8056_o.jpg

13933889638_63f1058606_o.jpg

Any pointers?

I've no idea what Flickr is doing with my images (upside down?).

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Could it be a fine layer of dust over the car since washing?

washed mine yesterday and this morning was dusty again. anything between the paint and water will affect the beading. Don't worry about it yet, and see how it performs during the next wash.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
I hate the amount of dust in the air at the moment! I've not seen it like is in ages, but maybe I've just been paying attention to it??

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Bare in mind Z2 is a proper sealant, and Z8 has sealant properties so what you are seeing is practically Z8 beading. Strange I know!

I always use Z6 and then Z8 after 2-3 weeks between washes. Z6 enhances gloss but won't affect beading in essence.

Could it be a fine layer of dust over the car since washing?

I did notice the Megane had a thin layer of dust yesterday evening actually.

Bare in mind Z2 is a proper sealant, and Z8 has sealant properties so what you are seeing is practically Z8 beading. Strange I know!

I always use Z6 and then Z8 after 2-3 weeks between washes. Z6 enhances gloss but won't affect beading in essence.

Thanks for that.

How often would you recommend Amigo/Z2/Z6/Z8? I wash and dry it every week.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Anyone got an opinion to share on Poorboys Black Hole glaze? And the White Diamond also?

What's it like to apply? What's it like for use outside on a nice day? What's it like for effect?
If I wasn't to get that, what would you recommend?

I have a Volvo C70 to clean up ready for sale (for my parents) and want to make it gleam and glisten from every possible angle. I'll be getting some iron x, got clay and wax, but wanted something to fill in some "lovely" swirl marks, but also want something I can use on my own motors...

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You''ll be pleased with the results from blackhole. Are you applying by hand or machine?.

Alternatives would be britemax blackmax, prima amigo.

What colour cars are you likely to be using them on, and finishing with what wax or sealant?

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
You''ll be pleased with the results from blackhole. Are you applying by hand or machine?.

Alternatives would be britemax blackmax, prima amigo.

What colour cars are you likely to be using them on, and finishing with what wax or sealant?

I haven't got a machine yet, so this will be by hand.
The Volvo is a very dark blue, and my car that I care for is a black Leon Cupra tdi.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
As for wax, I'm undecided at the moment, was tempted just to put some colly on it as it's only for clean up for selling and I used to get some very good results from it on a 406 coupe years ago, the other option is to use a sample pot of temptation I bought off here a while ago...

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to be sorting out my friends type r shortly, am I right in thinking the honda paint is usually quite soft?

I'm pretty sure I have seen it mentioned that it is, in which case I shall be quite happy.

Evening guys, just after some advice!

Treated my black 182 to a deep clean today, as follows:

I'm currently using dodo juice born to be mild shampoo, with a lambs wool mitt (Using two bucket method).

Tardis + Iron-x for the decontamination procedure.

Bilt hamber clay bar for removing impurities.

Poorboys black hole polish to achieve a good shine and fill some minor swirlies.

Dodo juice purple haze or Nattys blue paste wax (haven't decided which one is my favourite yet).

Lately done my trims in gtechniq c2 (amazing stuff).

Lastly using meggys endurance tyre gel.

Was just after some opinions/advice on wether I'm going down the right road using these products ect ... Still a bit of a noob!

(apologies for grammar/typos, was written on my phone!)

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
What else is good for trims? Hate back to black, but want something to use that's not going to cost me a fortune... Are there any Meggs items worth buying for it that I could get from Halfrauds as it's local, or are the only ones worth mentioning a cyc or similar site purchase?

I'd say that is a decent combo... Pics!!

I still haven't worked out how to get pics up on here :(!

GCC: I recently bough a bottle of gtechniq c2 trim restorer, was very displeased when it arrived at the size of the bottle, but my god it's brilliant!

Only need a few drops, used about 1/10ths of the bottle for my whole car, and it's suppose to last for upto 2 years! Definitely recommend!

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Only thing I could recommend Joshta is maybe a cleanser before the Glaze, AF Rejuvenate is a good product, Its amazing how much crap it manages to pull from the paint event after a good thorough decon.
GCC - AF Revive is decent temp trim restorer otherwise something a little more durable like Dlux or GT.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody bird poo!

Noticed it when I left work yesterday, 1 inch x 2 inch just below my rear light on the bumper. It must have only been there for a couple of hours max. I got it off as soon as I got home and it has already etched the paintwork! Grrrrrrr!!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Okay cheers mate, going to get the pro ordered today. Spent lots of time looking at reviews and seems the best da for the money.

Is there any pads you recommend?

Thanks

Hexalogic, ignore the others, so easy to use, robust and correct well.

What I will add is, if you're doing correction work on your Clio, you'll need to practice, a lot and have a lot of time and patience. Along with the right technique, combo etc.

Having a machine for cleansing and glazing is one of it's best attributes though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I did notice the Megane had a thin layer of dust yesterday evening actually.

Thanks for that.

How often would you recommend Amigo/Z2/Z6/Z8? I wash and dry it every week.

After washing and drying you could wipe down with Z6, even whilst drying. Works well. Or Z8 but more expensive.

Do you have a machine? I'd be looking at something with more bite than Amigo for the BMW by hand.

Hexalogic, ignore the others, so easy to use, robust and correct well.

What I will add is, if you're doing correction work on your Clio, you'll need to practice, a lot and have a lot of time and patience. Along with the right technique, combo etc.

Having a machine for cleansing and glazing is one of it's best attributes though.

Okay thanks, just had a look on cyc and they seem a reasonable price too!

Yeah I'm planning on getting a bonnet from the scrap yard first. Good thing is I have a unit to do it in which means I can take as long as I need too.

Going to look at a few guides etc shortly, thanks for your help :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What pad would you use with acrylic prime?

See i'm never sure how well Prime works on it's own by machine, I think you need a touch of Lime Prime to get the pad lubricated and moving. Chemical cleansers work (spread) better by hand you find. I can't even get tripple to spread well via machine unless a tiny section. The carnauba content sort of defeats the spreading.

To answer the question I use white hex with most cleansers, light polishing. Great all round pad.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
A few questions :)

Firstly, whats the best acid based wheel cleaner for a once over to get rid of tons of caked on crap and brake dust? Wheels haven't been cleaned in months and soapy water isn't even touching them, neither is RDS. I assume an acid based wheel cleaner would make the biggest difference.

Secondly, my door hinges are literally covered in grease, a thick browny looking grease, not copper grease though. How can I get all this grease off and clean the hinges? Then I assume just oil them with silicone oil or white spray grease that looks a bit better.

Are headlights worth polishing or protecting with something? Mine are like mint with no cloudiness, was tempted to go over them with the SRP and then the EGP I have in the cupboard when I do the rest of the car.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, anyone ever used this?

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webs...s-d1-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp#/product/910000217770

I've seen it when doing the shopping, Heard of the "Super alloy wheel cleaner" but not heard much about the "Universal alloy wheel cleaner", this would obviously be the most useful to go pick up quickly though!

Last edited: