ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's actually a fair point. I thought a full pot was more than that but that aside wax sales don't always work that way.

Always open to offers.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
It's £60 for a new full pot.

For £25 (just under half the price) I'd expect it to have about 40% left.

Just sayin ;)

you have to factor in postage and packaging to which most bouncers stockists will charge you so the £60 is more like £65. To which I think gally pot is priced reasonably well.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Anyone tried 'Candy Gloss' show gloss? Cant use it on my car, but may try on my girlfriends. Any tips on application etc? I only have a sample of it.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone tried 'Candy Gloss' show gloss? Cant use it on my car, but may try on my girlfriends. Any tips on application etc? I only have a sample of it.

I had a sample too its a show wax so gives a brilliant deep gloss on the red i10 I tried it on.. Pain to remove and doesn't last long but looks good. I probably wouldn't but it after using illusion but that's alot more expensive!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I had a sample too its a show wax so gives a brilliant deep gloss on the red i10 I tried it on.. Pain to remove and doesn't last long but looks good. I probably wouldn't but it after using illusion but that's alot more expensive!

My girlfriend drives a red ZS, and reds amazingly easy to look good. Will keep that in mind and not leave it too long before buffing I think!

Not a 320d
Whats everyone think to this Sonax QD then.

I jumped on the wagon, its no good as a QD IMHO and I dont like the way it feels after application. beading is good enough. Cheap too.

BG 182
Whats everyone think to this Sonax QD then.

I jumped on the wagon, its no good as a QD IMHO and I dont like the way it feels after application. beading is good enough. Cheap too.

Seen the thread on DW about it.. I was tempted by some, but just bought some AG Rapid and Megs QD in the Halfords 3 for 2 to try out. Heard good stuff about the Megs stuff.. And the AG was only £7.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've bought some but not used it yet. I'm going to use it as a sealant though and, for that purpose, it seems very good.

Twingo Dynamique
"the big shiner - rapid detailer" anyone heard of it and is it any good. Only looking at it because it is so cheap. But if I might as well spend an extra 5 quid then I'll be patient :L

The Big Shiner. They're a lesser known version of AS. Basic stuff, but I'm willing to bet pretty good - they just need someone in the detailing world to take a punt and test them.

iceberg phase 2 172
got some bouncers sherbet fizz for sale swaps , only been used to do 2 coats on my clio , limited edition of this also , they dont make it in this anymore as they have changed the formula/tub ?
IMAG1729_zpse02bdfca.jpg

im after either a pot of dodo juice wax (let me know which 1) or 20 pound , will post at buyers cost . or try me :)

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Plan to clean/polish up my exhaust, 'fine' wire wool and some metal polish okay?

Ta all.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I just use Autosol on a MF Cloth and it always came up ok.... Could go Megs Metal polish after if you want it really shiny.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Autosol is very good mate, wire wool then finish off with an MF.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Total detailing noob here. I want to get my car detailed and protected, but there's a few options to pick, enhancement detail and protection detail, what do I go for? I also would like the underside and arches protected with some underseal, do detailing companies offer this, or would that be something I'd have to go to a bodyshop for?

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
What foam applicator pads does everyone use? Are the cheap yellow eBay jobs ok?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Total detailing noob here. I want to get my car detailed and protected, but there's a few options to pick, enhancement detail and protection detail, what do I go for? I also would like the underside and arches protected with some underseal, do detailing companies offer this, or would that be something I'd have to go to a bodyshop for?

Yeah a bodyshop will do it but i'd be looking for Bilthamber to be applied. Google them.

On the detailing front you want enhancement at least. Protection is basicly a thorough wash/decontamination and wax/sealant. Enhancement is a one step polish in most cases. Nipping out swirls and filling a little if that's what they offer.

What foam applicator pads does everyone use? Are the cheap yellow eBay jobs ok?

I don't like them for applying LSPs. The proper yellow ones aren't expensive anyway and unless you're a professional you should need hundreds, they need washed after every use anyway really.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Yeah a bodyshop will do it but i'd be looking for Bilthamber to be applied. Google them.

On the detailing front you want enhancement at least. Protection is basicly a thorough wash/decontamination and wax/sealant. Enhancement is a one step polish in most cases. Nipping out swirls and filling a little if that's what they offer.
Cheers!

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2

I don't like them for applying LSPs. The proper yellow ones aren't expensive anyway and unless you're a professional you should need hundreds, they need washed after every use anyway really.

Which would you go for? What's the best way to wash them?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've used some Fairy liquid in the past as it removes all the wax, do it for all my applicators in the sink all at the one time, rinse them out thoroughly and air dry them in a warm area of the house. We use our big family bathroom as we never use it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed I do the exact same just work all the product out with my hands really, only takes 2 seconds, make sure they are sort of rung dry before proper drying or they'll never dry properly. Never hand an issue.

Cloths take a bit more care of course in the actual washing machine.

The washing substance is not the issue. This has come up a few times and I think it's down to something that Toby posted. Even if it wasn't, I blame him...

The issue is, don't use softener as this ruins the cloths. As does machine drying.

Not a 320d
The washing substance is not the issue. This has come up a few times and I think it's down to something that Toby posted. Even if it wasn't, I blame him...

The issue is, don't use softener as this ruins the cloths. As does machine drying.

For drying towels, I use a dedicated wash - rinse with a spin at 30deg. No Detergents or softners.

I dont let them dry either. The spin rings them out enough and I keep them in a closed box and dont let them dry out. I find they work better when slightly damp.

BMW E46 330i Touring
If you have no detergent then what is actually washing the cloths? Just the heat of the water?

I always use half a cap of non-bio on a hand wash setting. I air dry them as I hate funky damp smells.

Not a 320d
How the hell do I know Im not a scientist.

Trust me when I say Im right, I am right. Ive used enough cloths and experimented enough to know what works and what doesnt. My car doesnt get marring from the cloths I use and there were times when I did. Wash them with liquid detergent if you like, Ill keep washing mine without and ensure the longevity of my towels.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Alright mate, calm down, I was genuinely asking.

​You need to take a step back and stop being so defensive and OTT on here.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
If you have no detergent then what is actually washing the cloths? Just the heat of the water? I always use half a cap of non-bio on a hand wash setting. I air dry them as I hate funky damp smells.

I squirt a load of fairy into a few cloths fold them over then put them in. Once it's washed them I hang them on a rack in the conservatory.

Not sure if thats good or bad but I don't need to do it often and they seem to be lasting perfectly fine.

OT of the thread anyone got any ideas what I could use to clean my 182 wheels with? I was using a cheap wash mitt but its falling to bits so is it time to get a brush?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I really want wheel woollies but they're just so expensive!

i use little brushes for the faces and a megs yellow brush for the insides

I also have a thick cheap microfibres mitt that I use too

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ouch £40 lol definitely too much for me.

Anything will do as long as it doesn't damage the paint and make it hard work, I'll look at the megs yellow brush too :). Now there nice and clean from the wheel cleaner it should be quite easy to remove any dirt if I keep on top of it.

Yeah just saw the EZ one on CYC looks good actually just a bit too expensive for my liking.