ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing on a budget

Corolla T-Sport
I have been cleaning cars for years, trying to make a fiver off my neighbours, only since getting my clio and joining this forum have I become aware of the detailing world. However being 17 and having a Saturday job I don't have the biggest budget to run the clio let alone spend £50 on a pot of wax. One thing I did have was a free Sunday and a bunch of products lying around, I wanted to see what results you could achieve with bottom end products. It took me 3 and a half hours, using the following steps:
- Wash with shampoo, rinse and dry (two bucket method)
- Removing tar with white spirit
- Polish
- Paint sealant
- Wax

I realise higher end products will give a better finish and longer lasting protection and so on, however I just wanted to share my experience, to show that detailing can be done on a budget with reasonable results and to get your opinions and recommendations. Apologies for the picture quality they were taken on an iPhone.
10884998_988864907808806_373169358_n.jpg
10928702_988865031142127_50295451_n.jpg

And these were the products I used..
10927967_988864614475502_1026099812_n.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Good effort.

Demon shine rapid dirt shifter is a good pre wash and available cheaply from asda

Wonder wheels hot wheels is a decent wheel cleaner with mild fallout removers, available on occasion cheaply from wilko. £3 for 750ml I think I paid

I have no idea how paint safe white spirit is but

Tar remover - wd40 (apparently it's safe on paint)
Clay - blu tak
Lube/cleanser - fairy liquid (will strip any lsp

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Clay-Blu tac, really?. Op it looks great. im having a clear out of a few bits, wax samples etc over the next few days. I could send you some bits to try?

Corolla T-Sport
Good effort.

Demon shine rapid dirt shifter is a good pre wash and available cheaply from asda

Wonder wheels hot wheels is a decent wheel cleaner with mild fallout removers, available on occasion cheaply from wilko. £3 for 750ml I think I paid

I have no idea how paint safe white spirit is but

Tar remover - wd40 (apparently it's safe on paint)
Clay - blu tak
Lube/cleanser - fairy liquid (will strip any lsp

Thanks for the advise mate I will have to give some of them a try. Yeah I was a bit unsure with the white spirit, I searched the forum and people said they had used it, so had my dad, won't be doing it again! I think I will get a proper clay bar at some point as it is desperately needed!

Clay-Blu tac, really?. Op it looks great. im having a clear out of a few bits, wax samples etc over the next few days. I could send you some bits to try?

Took long enough, can become a little tedious but the end result is worth it. That would be great mate, would be good to see what different products do, i'll give you a pm. Cheers.

Mini GP2
Good effort, its what you have got and how you use it rather than wasting stupid money on fancy waxes etc.... problem with detailing is there's always that itch to try something new and it quite becomes costly...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Detailing on a budget :eek:

When I was speaking to a guy at work about car cleaning he was saying "you'll never guess how to get tar off a car!" When I suggested wd40 as the budget method of choice he said blu tak. I couldn't really fault his logic. Not that I'd do it myself mind.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks for the advise mate I will have to give some of them a try. Yeah I was a bit unsure with the white spirit, I searched the forum and people said they had used it, so had my dad, won't be doing it again! I think I will get a proper clay bar at some point as it is desperately needed!

I wouldn't seriously recommend those pikey alternatives I said lol, but I'm sure you can pick up a clay kit (clay, cloth and lube) for £15ish in halfords

BG Clio 182
I wouldn't seriously recommend those pikey alternatives I said lol, but I'm sure you can pick up a clay kit (clay, cloth and lube) for £15ish in halfords
It's an important step. I wish I'd got some pictures when I did my dad's car but it looked clean I mean really clean. We clayed it and it used a full 200g bar and 2 bottles of lube it was the most disgusting thing ever. There was so much coming off I couldn't believe it.

Boy did it visually look better for it too! Just saying that for £15, what a bloody difference! Wow! Get the clay block and luber by chemical guys or autofinesse ones are good. Very mild clay, won't damage the pain if lubed correctly lol.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
PM me your address and I'll send you a tub of Autoglym HD wax. Theres probably about a third left but your welcome to it if you want to try it. It's hardly top end wax but it's what I started my 'detailing' journey with and I found I got some lovely results with it for how much it's costs.

Anyway I don't use it any more so you're welcome to give it a try.

BG Clio 182
PM me your address and I'll send you a tub of Autoglym HD wax. Theres probably about a third left but your welcome to it if you want to try it. It's hardly top end wax but it's what I started my 'detailing' journey with and I found I got some lovely results with it for how much it's costs.

Anyway I don't use it any more so you're welcome to give it a try.
That's ever so kind!

BG Clio 182
It's what this club is all about. @gally is sending me a little sample of something so I'm just paying that kind act forward I guess.

Its nice to be nice.
Couldn't agree more :) it really is a lovely atmosphere. Ever so welcoming. I really do love the forum it's ace. Everyone's so helpful. Makes me laugh really. Sterotypcially renault sports, especially 1*2's are driven by ignorant young w*****s but this forum has none of those really, makes me happy how many decent people enjoy these cars and how the forum welcomes and encourages newer members.