ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Differences Between 172 and 172 cup

Please please please can someone tell me the majour differences between the 172 and the 172 cup, im unsure which one to buy ? (I love the Mondial blue colour but can only get that with the cup) I think the cup doest have abs but im not sure please help me out, cheers

Nippy white cup

Simple really. If you want more luxuries spend that bit extra and get a 172.

If your not too bothered about posh seats and heat reflective windows then get the Cup. So you dont get ABS, there are plenty of fast 16 valves and the like which havent got it.

Really is down to what you want m8

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 04 September 2003

define better?:)

for me its better to have aircon, abs, leather seats, thicker glass than to be 0.1s quicker to 60

http://forum.cliosport.net/search.asp?search=cup+differences&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchDate=ap&searchSort=dateDESC&Submit=Start+Searchhttp://forum.cliosport.net/search.asp?search=cup+differences&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchDate=ap&searchSort=dateDESC&Submit=Start+Search

that link should help you

About .3 / .4 difference to 60 and about 1 1/2 secs difference to 100, less focused, softer and less grip.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Sorry I couldnt let one comment drop..

WTF is less focused ??

Cup owners are just making sh*t up as they go along now.. this is getting crazy.. and Neil you know my 172 could whip your Cups ass.. muhahahha

The 172 is less focused ive driven both and its handling is much softer and has way more body roll, I just feels very soft compared to a Cup.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I know you not getting at the 172 but sorry.. just to re-itterate..

WTF is less focused ???

how can a car be less focused ?? it has no mentality of any sort ? its all in you head ! its a mental thing in your head !

and by softer you mean better ride quality. ;). while still being able to go round a 90 degree bend at 100mph ..

hah.. Cup owners .. ya got to love em really.

_KDF if you ever want to meet and and try to follow me round some corners/round abouts your more than welcome m8. Teady has tried to follow me and a Cup on the limit will just drive away from a 172 round corners, i.e because the 172 is less focused.

Just like a CTR is less focused than a ITR, because Honda have made the CTR more comfortable, quieter, better ride quality i.e less focused.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

He is saying that the 172 is less focused than a Cup, in terms of handling and out right performance. There is no quibble there from me, I have seen it, driven it and suffered it!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I would be more than happy to meet up.. in all seriousness I would expect the Cup to win, be faster in a straight line and round bends.. its what being lighter is all about.

I just didnt get the focused bit ? in order to be focused it would have to have some kind.. you know what it doesnt matter.

I can say that yes the Cup is faster and quicker round corners.. I just like to wind you up.. and just because you should be quicker and faster round corners doesnt mean I wont give it a go. (but not this w/end as I am off to alton towers).

Ps. a CTR is nothing compared to the GOD that is the ITR. I dont even see them and being part of the same family of cars.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Less focused as in 2.55secs per lap sloooower than a Cup round Bedford using the same racing driver!!!

Quote-

"First time out in the Cup and within half a lap its obvious that the 172 will struggle to keep sight of the new car when we strap the test gear on, while the V6 will need an exceptionally brave & skiiled pilot to challenge its lap times!"

;)

Horses for courses really. If you want a quick but well specced car you get the 172, but if you want a no-frills peformance car and/or fancy doing track days then the Cup is the one you want.

I also prefer the look of the Cup and the mondial paint, alloys, splitter & spoiler are spot on IMO.

lol, stop arguing! The bloody things are nearly the same car with just a few minor factory set up differences. If a 172 driver cant get round a track as quick as a Cup driver, then go and spend a hundred quid on suspension and ditch the spare wheel.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

lol i wonder if 911 owners do this?

the gt3/911 turbo debate must be similar

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 04 September 2003

lol, stop arguing! The bloody things are nearly the same car with just a few minor factory set up differences. If a 172 driver cant get round a track as quick as a Cup driver, then go and spend a hundred quid on suspension and ditch the spare wheel.
shadup ma b**ch.. get back in the house and do the dishes.. ;)

besides nobody was argueing.. just a discussion thats all.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 04 September 2003

besides nobody was argueing.. just a discussion thats all.
Yeah, just a discussion that happens to have loud shouty text in it ;)

As Rich-D states I also prefer the look of the Cup and the mondial paint, alloys, splitter & spoiler are spot on IMO

I agree with this i think the colour, alloys etc are much better than the standard 172 but guess its down to personel choice.

I would like air con but guess i can live with out it, and abs would be nice.

I can get a new cup deliverd to my door with mats, 12 months tax and usual waranty for £11,718 - not bad i guess unless you know different?

Im still a bit confused.

Cheers

You can order a new Cup with air-con now, so your problems might be solved...

Oh yeah, and given the choice between a Cup and a 172, Id probably go for.....a Civic Type-R

<runs>

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

that would be me.. I intended to stay out of this one but as you can see it didnt work.. :(

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ive said it before and Ill say it again...

If they did a hybrid of the 2 models that was basically a Cup but with all the 172s toys, then Id probably buy one!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 04 September 2003

If they did a hybrid of the 2 models that was basically a Cup but with all the 172s toys, then Id probably buy one!
erm.....lower the 172 by 3mm (is it?) and change the wheels....thats it, a cup with 172 toys :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by VivJ on 04 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 04 September 2003

erm.....lower the 172 by 3mm (is it?) and change the wheels....thats it, a cup with 172 toys :confused:

Yeah, but it wont be as quick as a Cup :(