ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

differences between 172 & cup

a cup is a race bred 172 which has been stripped of a few luxuries to lower the weight. this makes it a better handling car and lso fast and cheaper

ABS, climate control, leather seats, (its got firmer racing seats), lighter body, lighter alloys, lighter bench rear seat. stil has cd payer, electics and 2 airbags. also comes in a stunning unique blue and slightly bigger rear spoiler.

(its got firmer racing seats)

nope its got all the extra bits that was in the mk2 removed also thinner glass dont think the wheels are lighter than a mk1 15" vs 16" the seats are crap in the CUP dont resemble anything like racing seats

where u get this info from one of the main criticisms is the completey crap seats (more racing type) wtf (not just plush leather) wtf well there mainly alacantara (172) the rear seats are lighter are they cus they dont have headrests?(cup) ive never heard that

same as the 172 but with no alcantara on them. ......

the mor important diffs apart form the loss of weight which is only half the storey, is the increase in castor which accounts for the 3mm reduction in ride height, the increae in front track by 20mm and rear by 10mm is achieved through simple decrease in offset. But it does increase the front scrub radius which will in theory lead to a more torque sensitive, thats the steering torque, not engine.

still, its only a 1cm increase on both sides, so thats nothing.

As Teady says, the front seats are the same, just covered in a different material to the 172. The rear seat is a very simple, hard bench, and there are only 2 seat belts in the rear so it is only a 4-seater technically!

someone on here replaced the cup seats cus they dont hold you in place at all youl end up holding onto the steering wheel lol

S2000

Ben you managed to get a testdrive of a Cup yet in this country. You should try it some weekend, that increase in track and increased castor angle have transformed the handling, and the pick up from 2krpm is a completely different world to my 172!

Personal choice Andy - dont ask for peoples opinion, youll stir a hornets nest!! Loads of people chose the 172 for the luxury and loads choose the Cup for a real race focused car without all the luxuries that the modern driver usually requires.

nope, but my 172 has been sold and should be replaced with a cup, ill have to wait till the summer though.

S2000

Andy IMHO, it is not worth paying more for a 172 over a Cup. The handling and straight line speed make up for everything else.....well apart from the xenons, they are the dogs...

the seats in the cup look identical to those in my Dynamique? am I right? would be a bit pissed if they were! I like alacantara/leather.........wish I could afford either cup or 172 atm!

The cup is "an homologation special" - not my words - the words from renault, EVO and CCC and all the other mags - produced so the cup can be homologated for Grp n competition. The seats are the same as in all the clios except they dont have leather or alcantara, but they are the same basic seat. No airbags, no Air con, no climate control, no zenon lights, thinner glass, no spare wheel, no side airbags, 3mm lower, 20mm/10mm wider, differnt alloys, different spoiler, front splitter, special paint (also on the new megane though now) No rear headrests, no split folding rear seats - just a bench which should be ditched anyway! No engine rocker cover, sound deadening removed, castor angle adjusted by 3 degrees for better turn in and responsive steering. No mats or flaps and if Ive missed anything please forgive me in advance! lol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I forgive you..

No Heat reflective, sound dampening front windscreen
Seats in the Cup and lower models dont have exactly the same seats as there is no lumbar adjustment in the Cup and the 1.2 dynamique i had..

I would say the Cup is a cheaper option to the 172 but its not really if you get an import you can get them for 11,900 maybe even less ..

In my view I think the 172 cup looks cheap. once you have got used to the increased performance which isnt exactly mind blowly more (0.3 sec faster over 1/4 of mile - cup-14.8sec , 172-15.1sec) what have you got to fall back on. you got no luxuries that make the car stand out. what they should have done is give you more bhp and kept all the luxuries. thats what people want.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by andysport on 11 April 2003

In my view I think the 172 cup looks cheap. once you have got used to the increased performance which isnt exactly mind blowly more (0.3 sec faster over 1/4 of mile - cup-14.8sec , 172-15.1sec) what have you got to fall back on. you got no luxuries that make the car stand out. what they should have done is give you more bhp and kept all the luxuries. thats what people want.
more bhp???? 172 and 172 cup =172 bhp