ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dilema selling track spec 172 need advice plese pm e

172 turbo
basically my 172 gearbox went the day of silverstone trax day , before I even got to the place. NEVER TRACKED THE CAR ONCE!

Scenario is , ive spent looking at receits on parts and labour, etc roughly about 14000 on my 172, mainly is carbon fibre panels ie boot lid, bonnet, extreme splitter, roof scoof etc. I need to sell it but I really cant see the point in me getting the box fixed and then selling it, alot of time and hassle , do you think a person who knew there stuff would buy it as engine still runs perfect just gearbox is shot and what type of price shall i be looking at selling it.

milage 89000
mods etc - 14000 - high spec car.

x sport welded cage, interior white respray, corbeu sprint seat and new revoloution, removable lifeline boss and omp sterring wheel, flocked dash, cf roof scoop with vent, coilovers, 2118s white , cf bonnet, cf custom splitter, cf fog light surrounds, cf badges, cf boot lid and perspex window, wilwood 4 sport brakes with braided lines, jms induction kit remap pops and bangs, k tec stealth exhaust system , omp 4 point harneses and a few more bits , its basically a road legal track car and i need a rough idea of price to sell it at. i reckon with the box gone 10k plus easy pm me for details and advice thanks stacky

MK5 Fiesta Zetec S
You do not have a chance in hell of making your money back! Not even half of it.

Sorry to be negative dude.

If you break it I am very interested in all the lightweight panels so please PM with a price if you go down this route. Other than that I would recommend for the cost of a box rebuild which will be circa £350-400 + labour to take it out and put back in I would just get it done and sell the car running.

E36 M3. 182
Mate, if youve got 10k in this car, £400 for a new box is well worth investing, as youll get no more than 3k if you sell the car. Id just get it running and use it as you wanted to in the first place.

Last edited:
  172 turbo
cheers just whgats the best option as who would buy it with a gearbox needed would it sell eventually as a mint car done well ?

Golf GTD Mk7
Sorry to say mate, but the mods you've got aren't that desirable. Panels would sell no doubt, but even with a working box you'll be lucky to get anything more than 3K for it. Welcome to modding cars ;)

Why are you thinking of selling up though? Fix it and use it if you have put effort into modifying it.

ph1 track weapon
I still find it an absolute joke that you spent all that money and the car never saw a track. I used to see it down at xsport quite a bit and though it looked pretty nice, but to do all that and never use it as had obviously been intended? Stupid really

Price wise if you're lucky maybe £3500 because of the cage and buys but you'd be much better off breaking it, although even then you're gonna fall a country mile short of what you spent!

182cup & 172 racecar
Sorry,but you cannot even consider the amount you've spent in the selling price,it's just lost money.
Our car would be worth over 20k if that's the case!

Non runner that needs a gearbox,2k-2.5k tops.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sorry but I laughed hard at "10k plus easy"

You will never make your money back, ever. New gearbox is the best option.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
basically my 172 gearbox went the day of silverstone trax day , before I even got to the place. NEVER TRACKED THE CAR ONCE!

Scenario is , ive spent looking at receits on parts and labour, etc roughly about 14000 on my 172, mainly is carbon fibre panels ie boot lid, bonnet, extreme splitter, roof scoof etc. I need to sell it but I really cant see the point in me getting the box fixed and then selling it, alot of time and hassle , do you think a person who knew there stuff would buy it as engine still runs perfect just gearbox is shot and what type of price shall i be looking at selling it.

milage 89000
mods etc - 14000 - high spec car.

x sport welded cage, interior white respray, corbeu sprint seat and new revoloution, removable lifeline boss and omp sterring wheel, flocked dash, cf roof scoop with vent, coilovers, 2118s white , cf bonnet, cf custom splitter, cf fog light surrounds, cf badges, cf boot lid and perspex window, wilwood 4 sport brakes with braided lines, jms induction kit remap pops and bangs, k tec stealth exhaust system , omp 4 point harneses and a few more bits , its basically a road legal track car and i need a rough idea of price to sell it at. i reckon with the box gone 10k plus easy pm me for details and advice thanks stacky

My advice is; Stop doing drugs.

The car is worth (as it is) about £2-2500. (i'd give you £2500 for it, can collect tonight, got pound notes waiting.)

If you strip the car down COMPLETELY you will get a fair wedge of your money back so that is the way to go.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
APRIL FOOOLLSSS..... Oh, wait, what ?

You can't call labour 'adding value' on to a car. If that was the case, every car out there would be an appreciating asset from the day it left the factory.

Another person who has built a track car and never been on track. Unsurprising TBH. How (and why) you've spent 14k is beyond me unless you're including the £10k you paid for the car years back...?

Swap the box, and go use it doing what you've built it for !

RS6 C7
You want 10k for it? SRS? Who in there right mind would buy this over a standard 200? I bet a standard 200 would be faster on track as well.

Mk1 16v brooklands
My mate spent 40k on his Rs turbo and a year later sold it for 4500 mmmm and that was still mint and running

ph1 track weapon
He's had it a while.

The cage cost him a grand
Tailgate and screen 450
Bonnet 450
Wheels and coils maybe a grand together

In total I'd hazard a guess at total spend maybe Of around 6-7k on parts, 14k would mean somebody was laughing to the bank over what they charged you on labour!

172 turbo
wow great advice lads, well ignoring the nob heads and people who have good advice im not breaking it because of the welded in cage, it can never go back to standard and not scrapping it , looks like a box and sell it see what i can get or i keep it, whats the point when i work 7 day weeks all the time .

So. Just so we're clear. You've spent fourteen thousand pounds building a track Clio that has never seen a track and probably never will do because you work 7 days a week. The gearbox has gone, and rather than spend an extra few hundred quid fixing it, you're going to set fire to eleven of those fourteen thousand pounds. And now, people who are pointing this out to you in a thread which you posted on The Internet, are "nob heads".

Yeah?

172, Tiguan
There are plenty of gearboxes available if you look hard enough for them. A secondhand box should set you back about £250.

£14k? Really? I've spent a lot, but nowhere near that!

Golf GTD Mk7
i'm still trying to work out where the 14K has gone? Unless that includes the price of the car.

Renaultsport 220T
Would really hate to think how much in fact. :)

O/poster, just buy a box and have it + new clutch fitted. If you are feeling flush, but a gripper diff in too.