ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disable PAS, Fail MOT

ClioSport 172 Cup
Apparently if you disable your Power steering by either bypassing the PAS pump or removing the system completely you can be failed on the MOT. I didn`t even know about this until i found it on the internet after some searching! :S
Its a bit crazy cus surely PAS is a luxury, not a necessity!

Sam

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
link to the site?

if there is no record or trace of the car having PAS how will the tester know?

*do you mean disconnect the pas pump and leave the pas rack on though?*

ClioSport 172 Cup
Well i have just bypassed the pump with a shorter belt and left the system intact yes. This is so i can put it back on easily when i get rid of the car.

ClioSport 172 Cup
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_230.htm

Reason for rejection

a. Power steering malfunctioningor
inoperative
b. a leak in the system showing that a component Joint or seal has failed
c. a fluid pipe excessively damaged, or fouling other parts of the vehicle.

2. Pump insecure or its drive system missing
or defective.

well no wonder, if you just disable the pump and leave everything in place it will be classed as a hazard because the steering will become very heavy compared to a standard manual rack

yours might not, but they have to make a general ruling as most cars you take the pump off will be near undriveable

ClioSport 172 Cup
That is a good point. I suppose it feels ok because the cup is fairly light compared to other cars. I have been tempted to ditch all the system and get the DCI rack and pinion..but wouldn`t this affect the sale value of the car? + all the hassle of having to remove the PAS piping?
I was thinking i could just swap back to the longer belt to get it through MOT. Does it damage the PAS rack running it without the pump working?? Obviously if i drained all the oil it would, hence the reason i have kept oil in the system.

Sam :)

Lionel Richie
erm what about the loop hole "if its not there it can't be tested?"

i binned the ABS on my car, ripped the lot out, they questioned it at first, but rang the VOSA lot and they said if its fitted it MUST be working, or it can be completely removed

yeh thats what i was getting at before Fred, but as he has left it all in place and just used a smaller belt it will fail

i removed my power steering and abs, using a manual rack now and have no trace of abs left, simplicity ftw :D

BMW M5 & E36
Where did you get the manual rack out of interest geesus? Scrappy out of a 1.2? I assume the column is needed too? Something I'll be doing to the valver over the winter.

yeh found the manual rack on ebay, brand new for about £20. not an oe part but has done the trick, and yes you will need the manual column as they are a different length. if you have any problems just give me a shout and i will help you the best i can.