ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disconnecting 182 tweeters

ClioSport 182
After removing the dash on my 182 today I decide to "deinstall" a tweeter bodge job done by my local stereo shop.

The had replaced the standard Renault tweeters with some Clarion ones which didn't fit properly. So they just filled the gaps with some black gunk stuff which set the tweeters at horrible angles. 'Nuff said.

I just snipped the connecting wires and removed the tweeters. For some reason they had also installed a capaciter inline ... what would this have been for? Something to do with x-over?

Being a noob when it comes to ICE is it ok just to seal the two bare tweeter leads (+ and -) on each side (driver and passenger) with insulating tape and forget them, and just run my Apline with the front and rear door panel speakers?

Thx,
KnightAzul

Polo + Micra
removing the tweeters will make your music sound s**t

the capacitor is the hpf for the tweeter

it is ok just to tape them up just make sure you do a good job

ClioSport 182
"hpf" = high <somthing> frequency?
Was it there originally or did the stereo shop install this?

Thx,

KnightAzul

I think you should buy yourself some replacement tweeters. Cos as Dink says your music will sound s**t but then again some of your cd collection might be s**t in the first place!!! ;) (I'm joking there mate!)

ClioSport 182
Yep, Dink was right. Sound is sh*te! Just tested it this morning with some quality CD's from my collection.

So my options are:

1. Get some original replacements from Renualt. I assume they are pretty poor. Do they snap or screw to the plastic somewhere? or do I have to glue 'em down?

2. Get some new ones. Will I have the same problem again as with the Clarion tweeters, in that they just don't fit? Are there any out there which are the same shape as the original ones from Renualt?

Thanks for any help!

KnightAzul

Polo + Micra
i've got alpine ones in mine they fit in the hole but had to put a little glue to hold them but they are lying flat.

it's surprising how much you lose not having any tweeters

ClioSport 182
I think that I'll just make life easy for myself and buy some original replacements from the stealers.

I'm gonna have a go at doing a "professional" job with heat shrink tubing for reconnecting the speaker cable. Being a noob at ICE ... what kind of heat shrink tubing do I need? There seems to be shed loads of the stuff out there with different spec walling etc.

Thanks,
KnightAzul