ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY std ECU mapping

If I wanted to map the standard ECU myself what equipment would I need?

Something to read/write the map from/to the ECU - what?
Something to record sensor states - what?
Lambda sensor that can read AFR?

Thanks

53 Clio's & counting
Id suggest speaking to Paul at RS Tuning mate, for tweaking the standard ECU's he is 2nd to none, and im sure he could fill you in on some helpfull info :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the hardware isn't too hard, the difficult part is decoding the information that you pull off. Without location files you're pissing in the wind

If you fancy some DIY decompiling, download Tunerpro RT 5.0 from the tunerpro forums and look on www.moates.net for leads that will let you pull off the code

I've used Tunerpro and a moates emulator for years on older ECU's, but the location files for the ECU's I was tuning are freely available. I don't do decompiling hex, it frys my brain

Last edited:
Paul has mapped my car already and I agree his work is quality.

I'm just interested in playing with the map myself - just for fun ;) as it is my project.

Wondering what sort of kit I'd need to do it.

53 Clio's & counting
Paul has mapped my car already and I agree his work is quality.

I'm just interested in playing with the map myself - just for fun ;) as it is my project.

Wondering what sort of kit I'd need to do it.

I didn't mean for Paul to map it mate, as Paul knows these inside out Id have thought he would be a great bloke to have a chat with about it :)

You do know how many variables there are when you map something? I looked into this and its not as straight forward as you would think.

I write software for a living so I know about checksums, thanks for the link.

You do know how many variables there are when you map something? I looked into this and its not as straight forward as you would think.

I used to do some scientific modelling that involved optimising very complex systems with lots of variables. I figured it would be similar.

What do you use to measure the AFR when on road mapping?

From what I've read the std lambda sensor will only tell you lean, rich or ok it won't tell you by how much.

Do you fit a wide band lambda in the post cat hole or is the std reading enough?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I agree is doesn't have to end in tears but when asking this ^ i very much doubt if you should do this....

Also if the car is already mapped i can't see why you'd want to change fuel settings. Ignition could give you some but then again if it's mapped properly you won't see any gains. Only risks...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Theres a little project going on here http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1051

I plan on remapping my own ecu if I can get more interested parties?
For those of you that don't know me, I reworked the early evo ecu to be mappable and wrote the codes for launch control, anti lag etc, I also reworked the scoob ecu and was involved in ecuedit, so if your up for it and capable drop me a pm
Ah I used a version of ECUedit on ca18det ECUs a longtime ago. Where are you based?

Clio 197 R26
Ah I used a version of ECUedit on ca18det ECUs a longtime ago. Where are you based?
I also did some work on the ca18det and 20det, the eprom chips are fairly easy to do, and you can turn them into fully on the fly mappable cheaply!
Ostrich is your friend for those!

Clio 197 R26
Very good book, contains some very good information right from basic principles upto more complexed stuff
The ecu mapping bit is easy as that's been my job/pastime for many years
The problem is getting to read/write to the ecu hopefully through the OBD port although I do have a BDM to write direct

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I also did some work on the ca18det and 20det, the eprom chips are fairly easy to do, and you can turn them into fully on the fly mappable cheaply!
Ostrich is your friend for those!

yes I moved over to tunerpro and an Ostrich and it was very usable. the Ostrich2 was even better as it did live address trace and you could edit on the fly.
I've just started using tunerpro again actually. Prefer it to winOLS. creating XDF's from scratch is new to me though as they've been available almost complete for most things in the past.

Clio 197 R26
yes I moved over to tunerpro and an Ostrich and it was very usable. the Ostrich2 was even better as it did live address trace and you could edit on the fly.
I've just started using tunerpro again actually. Prefer it to winOLS. creating XDF's from scratch is new to me though as they've been available almost complete for most things in the past.
XDF or XLM are easy enough to prepare once you have the basic map properties, getting them is time consuming however, yes originally I was building my own boards to slot inside the ecu's but ostrich made this so much easier! plus Mark Mansur is a great guy to get on with, proper techy though

XDF or XLM are easy enough to prepare once you have the basic map properties, getting them is time consuming however, yes originally I was building my own boards to slot inside the ecu's but ostrich made this so much easier! plus Mark Mansur is a great guy to get on with, proper techy though

Very interested in this I had a few guys over at geekmapped interested also but nothing ever came of it

Clio 197 R26
Very interested in this I had a few guys over at geekmapped interested also but nothing ever came of it
i posted on geekmapped to your question but as far as then numb nuts are concerned id rather not get involved with Andy Fox and the rest of the cronies again

There needs to be a knew thread started and a list of whats needed/targets ect

I use winols as I've never managed to get my head around tunerpro but then I never really tried.

I've found some maps but not sure where the load axis is located in the maps. Also what the factors and offsets are.

My understanding of the Sirius is as follows.

Cold and warm timing maps for both 95 and98 Ron.

Part throttle fuelling.

WOT fuelling.

All based on load?

I've found the rev limiters.

I would love to know all the key maps like vvt, injector scaling, injectors temp map and anything else I probably don't understand lol

Would love to be able to reverse engineer the c167 processor. But do to understand how the CPU and memory works.

I've started reading up on the Bosch me and that's totally different.

I have the following from my 182 Sirius 34 ECU.

01455 Ignition Cold 98. Factor 0.375000
01509 Ignition Warm 98
015BD Ignition Cold 95
01671 Ignition Warm 95

01916 Fuel WOT Cold 98
019CA Fuel WOT Warm 98
01A7E Fuel WOT Cold 95
01B32 Fuel WOT Warm 95
028E3 Fuel Part Throttle

03C13 VVT Cam shift

043F8 Rev Axis. Factor 0.125
0477E Rev Limiters

Anyone know where the load axis is and the offset? Also the offset for the fuel.

Clio 197 R26
Fuel Part throttle : 1735 in 32kb file and 9735 in full read 9X20
Fuel full throttle : 814 in 32kb file and 8814 in full read 9X20 (cold?)
Fuel full throttle : 8c8 in 32kb file and 88c8 in full read 9X20 (Normal temp?)
Ignition : 392 in 32kb file and 8392 in full read 9X20 (cold 98 ron?)
Ignition : 446 in 32kb file and 8446 in full read 9X20 (normal temp 98 ron?)
Ignition : 4FA in 32kb file and 84fa in full read 9X20 (cold 95 ron?)
Ignition : 5AE in 32kb file and 85AE in full read 9X20 (normal temp 95 ron?)
Revlimits : 266E in 32kb file and A66E in full read 5X1 16bit LoHi
(cold/hot,Launch in launch-file,normal-temp,temp limit?, shiftlight on X rev before rev limit)

There is a few maps that i am unsure about:
I guess that 667 (8667 in full read) is lambda map 9X20
and those i have no clue
28C0 (A8C0 in full) is a map 13X17 16 bit LoHi
And 24AE is (a4ae in full) another 9X20 16bit map.

Clio 197 R26
I have the following from my 182 Sirius 34 ECU.

01455 Ignition Cold 98. Factor 0.375000
01509 Ignition Warm 98
015BD Ignition Cold 95
01671 Ignition Warm 95

01916 Fuel WOT Cold 98
019CA Fuel WOT Warm 98
01A7E Fuel WOT Cold 95
01B32 Fuel WOT Warm 95
028E3 Fuel Part Throttle

03C13 VVT Cam shift

043F8 Rev Axis. Factor 0.125
0477E Rev Limiters

Anyone know where the load axis is and the offset? Also the offset for the fuel.
What are you using to read with and where from?
I believe the trouble stems from what's 'available' to read via OBD

Clio 197 R26
cam shifting is 9X9, 0/20 for off/on
looks like this in mine :

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

rev is at 247E in the small bin-file 16 bit LoHI factor 0,125
for ign. i actually think the offset is -23,62500

I'm still trying to find the mapsize def for fuel and ign. size is 9X20 and that would make someting like 9 and 14 at 16 bit

I've only got the partial 32kb read. That was using a galletto clone. Not used the mpps clone yet.

Yes forgot to add the offset which I have as the same as you.

For the ignition maps I've found the size are 9x20 in 8bit.

Yes I gave the cam shifting map. As it's not 20 in size, do you know where the rev axis is? As it won't be the same as the others.

I'm keen to find the lambda map.

I take it Reno clip is best for logging?