ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Wheel Refurb/ Paint

V6 230
Hi,
I have searched on here for tips and have found some good links, however still a bit unsure :dapprove:

I have some VERY limited experience on painting wheels, but want to do a good job this time!

Have a black PH1 172, with standard wheels and was thinking about removing scratches then painting black.
There are 2 main question i have:
  • I know i SHOULD, but can you paint leaving the tyres and valves on the wheel to save time/money? I understand that this is not ideal but if i mask the tyres well would this be ok?
  • Secondly what is the best colour for a black ph1? I was thinking that normal pearl black, the same colour as the car, would be ok but any advice welcome!
Thanks in advance :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
hiya mate, if u want any more info apart from the thread give me a pm, i might be able to give you a hand.

V6 230
Cheers Sy, been looking at that thread earlier, which made me think about leaving the tyres on.
Pics look really good so thought i could save time/money by not mucking about taking each one to the garage twice for tyres removal/fitting.

Cheers mate

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
Cheers Sy, been looking at that thread earlier, which made me think about leaving the tyres on.
Pics look really good so thought i could save time/money by not mucking about taking each one to the garage twice for tyres removal/fitting.

Cheers mate

Its ok, I have my other wheels in garage I keep meaning to do but I can't see it happening lol.

Sy

Clio's
mask
DSCN0888.jpg

use metal filler to fill the curbing then sand down to a smooth finish using wet and dry paper.

Prime
All4primed.jpg

put several light coats of primer on then sand to a smooth finish again with wet and dry.

Allfourfirstcoat.jpg

spray the colour of your choice on the alloys using about 5 light coats.

Allfourpainted.jpg

then laquer

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Whoops^^ Bit of a mistake! if you don't sort it asap your wheels will fall off.

You haven't masked the wheelbolt seats, you need to remove the paint from the seats asap, or the bolts will become loose and the obvious will happen.

Remember when refurbing wheels (with cans, not powder coating) dont paint the bolt seats!!

Other than that great job on the above!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
which bit r u talking about?... i wanna spray my wheels, so i must know what he's done wrong!!

V6 230
Right, advice needed :)

I need some opinions, decided to refurb alloys as looking tired but am tempted by doing them in black.

Obviously the first pic is as it is now, and second is photoshop.
(and yes it will be lowered next month) :)

Any opinions welcome

Last edited: