ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I need a fuel rail guard?

...because mine's fallen off
...and I have a 1000+ mile trip over the next week

21348449410_206a248519_c.jpg

It looks like it's been held on by one nut, and that's fucked off. The other bolt has completely snapped and gone.

Am I alright without it?
Can I buy new nuts + bolts?
Do I just unscrew these ones and screw new ones in?

Cheers!

phase 1 flamer 172
Don't believe this would do much in a front end smash, its cast alloy, more to protect against flying debris I would think. Front end smash would stop the journey and see the damage, flying debris would possibly not stop the journey and may continue with fuel leaking.

It won't hinder the performance or drive ability of your vehicle so if you need to use it without one fitted, then only issue you may notice is the fuel leak in a front end smash.

I wouldn't let it put me off a journey, but replace when you have sourced the bits.

I've a spare guard and bolts if you want one posting.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
f**k me £3.50 for two nuts!!

This is why I hate Renault

Yep, when I phoned to ask how much, the chap said 'probably a lot more than they should be'

He wasnt joking! But mine was falling off, the the sake of a couple or pounds I chose to have renualt bolts.

Yep, when I phoned to ask how much, the chap said 'probably a lot more than they should be'

He wasnt joking! But mine was falling off, the the sake of a couple or pounds I chose to have renualt bolts.
They want to be magic for that price. As long as you know the diameter of the bolt and the thread you can pick these up for next to nowt at any fixings place. Last time I needed some of these the local fixing place near me just asked for a contribution to their tea fund.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
They are a stud that winds into the inlet then guard on, then 2x nuts

Looks like you can remove your studs with a spanner and replace with new ones too.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
I took mine off to change the oil filter and never bothered putting it back on. That was about six months ago and I've not spontaneously combusted into a fireball yet.

I can't honestly see anything big enough to do damage hitting it in normal driving.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Two replacement bolts and two exhaust manifold bolts I believe are the ones for this.

BG Clio 182
I took mine off to change the oil filter and never bothered putting it back on. That was about six months ago and I've not spontaneously combusted into a fireball yet.

I can't honestly see anything big enough to do damage hitting it in normal driving.
What if you have a front on collision though and it ruptures and kills you? Seems a bit silly to me not to put it back on tbh.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As said, you can run without one quite happily, but it does help protection in a front end smash.

If you run the Charger kit I have, you can't run one because of the boost hosing position. I try to tell myself that crashing is a bad idea, fuel rail guard or no fuel rail guard.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
What if you have a front on collision though and it ruptures and kills you? Seems a bit silly to me not to put it back on tbh.

I'd have thought a sufficiently nasty crash would bust that aluminium thing anyhow.

I kind of agree though, Renault did put it there for a reason and these cars do score high on NCAP. Maybe I'll dig it out of the garage...

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Was one of the first things that came off mine. I don’t think it would do a great deal either but again these were crash tested.... 20 years ago. I’m sure conclusive evidence should have proven one of the other by now but 🤷🏼‍♂️ Hey!

You’ll be fine without it till you get a new one or decide not to bother

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Can’t see any reason why anyone would want to remove this?

No performance gains at all, just marginally less safe in the event of a crash…

As said above, you have to remove it if you run a supercharger.

But other than that, yes, I can’t really see why someone would actively choose to remove it if they didn’t have to?

Before I charged mine, I got it powder coated and it looked great.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
but again these were crash tested.... 20 years ago. I’m sure conclusive evidence should have proven one of the other by now but 🤷🏼‍♂️ Hey!

I wonder if 20+ years ago the car was running and full of fuel when it went through the crash test :unsure:

Seems obvious, but then if VW taught us anything, no test is perfect.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if 20 years ago they thought every other vehicle that a clio could crash into would be nearly 2 tonnes?
I wonder if @jesus managed to avoid smashing and burning his clio or if he's been resurrected afterwards?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The performance gain is I can do my oil change quicker than you 😉

Exactly that about VW, I'd assume tests were in a state of worst-case scenario and not best-case scenario when performing said tests.... 🤞

HK52 VLW 172 Cup
I took mine off today just to see if I had the RS inlet do dah. Unfortunatley I don't. Two 13mm nuts using a deep socket and a tommy bar, easy.

I'll remove mine when I do an oil change to make it easier when stabbing the oil filter.

On the hunt!
I took mine off today just to see if I had the RS inlet do dah. Unfortunatley I don't. Two 13mm nuts using a deep socket and a tommy bar, easy.

I'll remove mine when I do an oil change to make it easier when stabbing the oil filter.

The bolts are M10 I’m sure. Changed mine this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk