ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do these plugs look normal for 50K miles?

182FF
Took these out and I wondered if they tell any of you guys with experience anything about how my engine is running? I've found some info online about plugs and colour and they don't look too bad. Just wondered how they compare to other Clios.

They've done 50k miles. I realise one of the leads isn't sealing against the rocker cover so I've put the engine cover back on.

cidagbbg.jpg

ebijfcbi.jpg

Cheers!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I would hope they haven't been in for 50k! the interval is 36k i believe!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Other than the just you mention from the lack of seal, they look pretty acceptable overall wear for that sort of mileage to me but 2nd one looks a tiny bit black, might be nothing but I'd leakdown test it if possible.

I assume you arent thinking about putting them back in? lol

182FF
Yep a shiny brand new set in and torqued up properly.

What is a leakdown test? The car is burning some oil which is annoying me. It's eating around 2L in 5000 miles so not tooooo bad but still annoying. No sign of any serious leaks. A bit of weeping out the VVT solenoid. Signs of some oil being eaten through the breather and past the throttle.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

What is a leakdown test? The car is burning some oil which is annoying me. It's eating around 2L in 5000 miles so not tooooo bad but still annoying. No sign of any serious leaks. A bit of weeping out the VVT solenoid. Signs of some oil being eaten through the breather and past the throttle.

That's within official tollerence according to Renualt, but a fairly annoying amount.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Rings or stem seals most likely.

A leakdown test is where you put pressurised air into the spark plug hole and see where and how much leaks.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
just to expand on why those plugs in the picture are past it, on the far left, the ground electrode had erroded quite badly, see how it's rounded off? The far left, and 2nd from the right the center electrodes are both worn/melted back. The other 2 plugs are both showing signs of wear, but not as bad.

182FF
Dan,

Exactly how I feel. Not much I can do about it though without spending big bucks. The cars runs very well other than a little oil burning.

Chris,

My thoughts exactly. I got the car 6k miles ago and am working my way round all the serviceable bits and bobs.

Chip,

Thanks for the explanation. I don't suppose I would do anything about it even if I found cylinder two was a bit leakier than the rest. Therefore it probably isn't worth conducting a test.