ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you have to preload a car before tightening up suspension/steering parts?

172DD Cup
something somebody said...
i've got a steering issue on my car that goes away whenever you work on it (ie tighten strut bolts, fit new top mounts) but returns after about 10 miles or so.

before you tighten anything in this area should you preload the car first?

172DD Cup
i never did any of that

how would you tighten one up? for example in the case of the wishbone would you drop it with bolts nipped up and then tighten, or use a trolley jack under the hub to take the weight?

172DD Cup
thanks, i wasn't sure about access but i might drop them onto some bricks or something so it keeps the car in the air.

172DD Cup
is there anything else that would need preload? can't seem to get to grips with the fact my steerings nice and tight after working on it, but then goes crap. happened when i did top mounts, shocks, and wishbones and three different times. fine, then pants.

172DD Cup
when i change a part and tighten it all back up, it feels nice and solid and i can go over small (or medium) bumps and the car soaks it up and i don't feel it through the steering wheel.

after a few miles, it gradually starts to get crap until i can feel every tiny bump through the steering wheel, if i let go of the steering wheel then even small bumps make the steering wheel move where it didn't ten miles previous.

sometimes it tracks left, sometimes right and sometimes straight on. it changes when i go over a small bump. everything has been changed and it has been hunter-aligned three times.

172DD Cup
oh and it's alot worse when braking to a stop on uneven road, steering wheel will pull 45 degrees to the left or 45 degrees to the right.

That's a funny one.

I had the same issue when I changed my suspension, but the tracking sorted it straight away.

Clio 197
when i change a part and tighten it all back up, it feels nice and solid and i can go over small (or medium) bumps and the car soaks it up and i don't feel it through the steering wheel.

after a few miles, it gradually starts to get crap until i can feel every tiny bump through the steering wheel, if i let go of the steering wheel then even small bumps make the steering wheel move where it didn't ten miles previous.

sometimes it tracks left, sometimes right and sometimes straight on. it changes when i go over a small bump. everything has been changed and it has been hunter-aligned three times.

is anything actually coming loose when you check after driving it?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
oh and it's alot worse when braking to a stop on uneven road, steering wheel will pull 45 degrees to the left or 45 degrees to the right.

i think my car does this aswell, i would be interested in a solution