ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy welds in boot? 182 Cup

182 Cup
Hi everybody,

After selling my GTi6 I've decided to buy a 182 Cup. I test drove a very nice low mileage example. Cosmetically and mechanically everything seemed to be in good order.

But.

When I lifted the carpet out of the boot, I saw what looked like welds possibly as a result of an accident. I realise that the 182 doesn't have a spare wheel well due to the exhaust system, so I was wondering if it might just be dodgy French engineering and hence nothing to worry about.

If somebody wouldn't mind taking the boot carpet out of their 182 and posting a photo of what it should look like underneath, I would be most grateful.

Cheers..

Tubbs

182 Cup
If it's the bits I'm thinking of then it's normal.

Thanks for your quick response.

I'll try to describe what I saw. There was a stripe of thick paint of a slightly different colour to the boot floor that described an arc which looked vaguely in the shape of a spare wheel well. That seemed reasonable, but there was also a rectangular piece of metal about 18 inches by 7 inches near to the left side of the boot. It followed the contours of the boot, almost as though it had been melted on top of it.

This is what looked particularly out of place. I'm concerned that if the car was crashed and lost a mounting point for the exhaust, that this thing was grafted in to hang the exhaust on.

If anybody could snap a pic of their boot floor under the carpet, it would really set my mind at ease.

Thanks so much for your help

Tubbs

2 litre twin turbo estate
there ya go

IMG_2146.jpg

is this the bit yer talking about

IMG_2147.jpg

182 Cup
That's it. So that's normal?! Go Renault!

Anybody know why it's like that?

Thanks loads for the photo by the way.

Tubbs

RB182cup&golf gti
what was the mileage and how much were they asking - just curious as mine is a minter with 12k miles on it. top cars btw

182 Cup
Well, I bought the car and it's great. Much better control when pressing on over bumpy roads than the 306.

I have noticed that occasionally the STOP and (|) lights flicker at high rpm. It's only happened a couple of times. No loss of power or any other symptoms. Maybe a dodgy connection between the battery and alternator? Any ideas?

Williams 1
Well, I bought the car and it's great. Much better control when pressing on over bumpy roads than the 306.

I have noticed that occasionally the STOP and (|) lights flicker at high rpm. It's only happened a couple of times. No loss of power or any other symptoms. Maybe a dodgy connection between the battery and alternator? Any ideas?

how come you have taken a step backwards? I would take the GTI6 anyday over a 182

Lionel Richie

low brake fluid, caused by low brake pads

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

yep

182 Cup
I had a look in the reservoir and it seemed fine. The flickering didn't happen under braking.

Also, it'd just been serviced, so you'd think that the brakes were checked. You'd think.

182 Cup

how come you have taken a step backwards? I would take the GTI6 anyday over a 182

Step back in build quality. Step forwards, if not huge, in performance and handling.

It's change for the sake of change really. And the 306 had 60'000 miles on it.

I think the 182 Cup will be considered a bit of a classic in years to come (no Trophy for Oz), so it'll be nice to have for a year or so.

I had a look in the reservoir and it seemed fine. The flickering didn't happen under braking.

Also, it'd just been serviced, so you'd think that the brakes were checked. You'd think.

the flickering seemed to indicate the pads where low...usually happened when going up a very slight incline, or sweeping corners....

oops...didnt notice that one...

182 Cup
im telling you thats what the flickering is

Sorry, didn't mean to sound skeptical. The reservoir (the one with what looks like a steering wheel on top of a box which looks like a power steering logo to me, but the manual points to it) seems full.

Are you saying the flickering represents fluid and/or pads: ie can one or the other cause the flicker?

Should I be concerned? As it's Easter I'm doing a bit of driving about (including some mountainous roads), and getting access to parts will be more difficult.

im telling you thats what the flickering is

Sorry, didn't mean to sound skeptical. The reservoir (the one with what looks like a steering wheel on top of a box which looks like a power steering logo to me, but the manual points to it) seems full.

Are you saying the flickering represents fluid and/or pads: ie can one or the other cause the flicker?

Should I be concerned? As it's Easter I'm doing a bit of driving about (including some mountainous roads), and getting access to parts will be more difficult.

the fluid wont need topped up....

its your pads that need replaced...prob the rears..or the front ones..

im sure its registrering as low fluid, as the pads have to be pushed further as they are so thin...but with pads the right thickness there will be enough fluid

don't
Tubbsy - I had the exact same worries when I was looking at a Fiesta ST for my misses.

Car all checked out fine but under the boot carpet it had the same kind of welds etc, just didnt look natural so we walked away to check online on an owners club.

I'd taken sneaky photos before I left the car and the club confirmed it was totally normal, we went back and bought the car and its been perfect

and, I had a gti6 for ages, now got an ibiza cupra for a bit, stupidly quick but the handling is shocking