ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodo DW Double Wax Test

106 GTi
Thanks to my boss Mr Brazo I have had my pots for a few weeks now :)

After re-insuring my 182 yesterday morning I remembered I actually had one, and on a gorgeous sunny afternoon (T-Shirt weather in Feb!) with a few hours to spare rolled it out of the garage for the first time in since Xmas !!!!

I was greeted by a very dusty Grey car lol Ideally I would have liked to polish the paint and use the Dodo's 24 hours apart. The wax as you may know comes in two pots designed to be used together, one hard one soft. As it was I used both with an hour cure time between after QDing the car with some Chemical Guys QD with Carnuba.

Hard Wax

014.jpg

Soft Wax

034.jpg

First up I applied the hard wax to a few panels at a time, i.e one Side of the car and then removed, then the other, then the roof, then the tailgate and finally the bonnet.

I feel I could have done the whole car and removed but it was quite bright and sunny so did not want to risk it. The wax was fairly hard in the pot, not as bad as say Swissvwax Mystery, but did take some warming to get it to spread, a few mins with the pot in the sun helped, and the warmer panels in the sun made it more workable. The shade side did take some effort. It did allow you to get a thin even coat eventually using very little product. Not as easy as other waxes but it is a hard wax.

Removal was fairly easy, though despite a very thin coat it did give some slight dusting, something I have not had from a carnuba wax for a long time ? Not as easy of as Say Swissvax Onyx, BOS or even Dodos Purple Haze. Apperance wise it added to the looks instantly over the Purple Haze that was applied to the car at Xmas (Garaged since and not drive). Looked wetter and more glossy, but no real addition of depth.

015.jpg

Some pics after the application of the Hard Wax.

Sunny side - Full blown direct sunlight

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Shade

009.jpg

010.jpg

After removal, I left the paint an hour before applying the Soft Wax, meanwhile cleaned the glass and dressed the tyres, soft wax results in the next post.

Mito Sportiva 135
Looks good Treen - just make sure you blast it through some muddy roads before you sell it to get it out your system! :D Love that car and good photos and write-up as per.

Shed.
Any idea on durability from the hard wax rich ?

Also, how do you rate it over purple haze ? Would you use it instead of or best to be used with ? which is your personal preference ?

I can apreciate youve not had long to test it just yet.

106 GTi
Onto the Soft Wax.

033.jpg

Initial impressions of the wax in the pot it is not actually that soft ! It is softer than the DW Hard version, but still took some warming to get it going, compared to say Swissvax Onyx, Dodo Purple Haze or Zymöls it is fairly hard, again a few mins in the sun and on the warmer panels it was very easy to apply and spread, easily allowing a layer to be applied to the paintwork, much quicker and easier than the hard wax. Again it was applied in the same panel sequence as I had used and listed above for the hard wax.

Looks wise it seemed to warm slightly the very clear finish the Hard Wax had left. It was hard to get a direct result as the sun was fading by now and starting to sit lower in the sky. It clearly added some depth to the paintwork. As others have commented and I noticed it lacks the depth and wetness I get from Swissvax Onyx or Best of Show. It seems to leave a clearer and glossier finish but at the sacrifice at some of the wetness and depth. Lacks the liquid look.

The finish however seem to mute the very fine metallic gold flake my car slighty less when compared to the Swissvax's and a fair bit when compared to Zymöl Concours and Destiny.

Some after Pics of the hard wax topped with the soft.

016.jpg

021.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

Overall a nice product to use, even though I am not normally a big fan of Hard Waxes. THOUGH - I am left feeling that I do prefer the look I can get for half the price from a tub of Swissvax Onyx. Obviously this takes into consideration nothing about durability. Something I will not find out about on the Clio. May try and get coats on the daily drive 306 this afternoon.

A big step up in looks over the normal Dodo range and none of that horrible added colour magicness the normal range has.

Rest of the pics here - http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/dw/

Cheers

Rich

106 GTi

Also, how do you rate it over purple haze ? Would you use it instead of or best to be used with ? which is your personal preference ?

Second post now added above -

Will be going on the 306 this afternoon to obtain results. Even the hard wax added to the look the Purple Haze had given ( this was the last product I had used on the car) I would pick the double waxes everytime. Though I think I would pick Swissvax Onyx over them all on looks.

106 GTi
Looks good Treen - just make sure you blast it through some muddy roads before you sell it to get it out your system! :D Love that car and good photos and write-up as per.

Saw another GTi this morning - doubt I will be selling now tbh, no way on this earth I will find a GTi as good as the Clio.

Shed.

Second post now added above -

Will be going on the 306 this afternoon to obtain results. Even the hard wax added to the look the Purple Haze had given ( this was the last product I had used on the car) I would pick the double waxes everytime. Though I think I would pick Swissvax Onyx over them all on looks.

Cool, ill keep my eye open then. Might try a pot, is it available from cleanyourcar yet (goes and checks).

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah obviously your 182 is MINT....but at the same time unless you are minted (bdm-ch!) it is something quite expensive to be sitting depreciating away in the garage. Seems a shame not to see it out and about more, it is a stunner.

106 GTi
Depreciation is not a bother to me, I am not minted, but did buy it to keep long long term. For the money it will free up, I may as well keep it tbh, but I am the first to admit it is a waste for what I do use it.

Fair enough, I can understand why you don't use it over the winter but it should be ok to use in the summer.

106 GTi
As said I use it whenever I get the chance winter or summer. Does not get used for work due to not wanting tow bar marks through the front valence like my 306 has from the road outside my work.

Mito Sportiva 135
I am hpefully going to FCS this year so hope to see the bad boy there Rich.

We can have a "shine off" :eek:

16v Dynamique
What happens with this when you want to top the wax up? Do you just use the soft wax? I can't see you having to start from scratch again with the hard wax or is this how it works?

Shed.
ive noticed the purple haze doesnt stick around to protect my paint for very long also. im thinking another harder wax.........

106 GTi
Shall I take that as a massive compliment?!

For Sure !

Can't fault it mate, a credit to you.

xxx

What happens with this when you want to top the wax up? Do you just use the soft wax? I can't see you having to start from scratch again with the hard wax or is this how it works?

I believe they say to use the soft wax, in all honesty I will just use some of my other Swissvaxs as and when it needs topping

forget the megs number 16

has he tried the butter wet wax by chemical guys?

Bin FTW ...

106 GTi
Slight update ...

As the Clio is never going to do any good for durabilty tests it only sees water at bath time ! and pepole have asked I have just applied a couple of panels of the Dodo DW on my daily drive 306.

The car was currently wearing Jeffs AJT and Titanium from last September which is still holding up well. So I lime primed a couple of areas and used the Dodo. Unlike on Black paint the hard wax added nothing looks wise on Silver, but the second coat with the soft wax added a nicer gloss and glow to the panel. Will see how they hold up.

Mito Sportiva 135
forget the megs number 16

has he tried the butter wet wax by chemical guys?

Haha haven't heard that mentioned for a while, and pay your fiver as Alan says! :D

For the time being my 476s/ Onyx combo is doing great so no real need to move over yet, and don't really think buying the DW is worth it seeing as I think I prefer the Onyx finish. I might be interested in the hard wax alone buy you can't buy that by itself yet, gash!

106 GTi
Just buy one of the normal Dodo hard waxes Darth ?

TBH if the 476 and Onyx is working why change it ?

I wish I was not a wax ***** and could resist not buying more shizzle all the time.

Mito Sportiva 135
Well I was considering the Blue Velvet but you didn't rate it that much and neither have a few others, and plus not really a fan of the whole coloured effect either. 476s is brilliant for durability and leaves a decent gloss for over the winter, when depth of paint isn't all important as its dark/ raining all the time, and the Onyx layered on top just adds a great finish. To be honest I can just see myself getting more 476s but I want something similar but better if possible, just don't know what that is yet.

It is all about a shiny helmet...;)

106 GTi
My Blue Velvet review was tainted by the fact they say the cooling of the sample pots makes it harder than it should be but the colour magicness of it is shite. Just get on of the light coloured or generic ones without all the added colour. The Colour changed stuff is all marketing b****cks, the added colour will add nothing to them, if Onyx is going over the top anyway as long as the base wax is durable that is all you need really.

Megs #16 topped with Onyx ?

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah could give that a go...although my need for durability this winter was due to not being able to wash my car every week like I had at home, after uni that won't be as much as a problem, especially if some kind soul wants to give me a company car to abuse too!

What I would really like is an Elise though...seen a mint one for £17k...just need to get saving/whoring...that would be for weekends and evenings, although this is a complete pipe dream right now!

16v Dynamique
So you're obviosly goning to use the soft faster than the hard...but I didn't think they were availale seperately, so what happens when you run out of the soft?

Mito Sportiva 135
So you're obviosly goning to use the soft faster than the hard...but I didn't think they were availale seperately, so what happens when you run out of the soft?

Another reason why I am resisting buying it...at the moment you have to buy the whole set again.

106 GTi
What I would really like is an Elise though...seen a mint one for £17k...just need to get saving/whoring...that would be for weekends and evenings, although this is a complete pipe dream right now!

Me too, I keep drooling over them.

They are talking about selling refills separately, we will see. I won't be going through one faster than another just in case though !

Mito Sportiva 135
For the money the Elise is an aweomse car, with the touring pack looks mint. I have been looking at red, white and grey ones...and yes, also black! :S

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah the Zaino shots I have seen really seem to bring out a nice crystal-like finish to the paint, the metallic flake really pops out. Would like to try that too!