ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does ne1 eles think the 172 sound weedy

right this is well bugging me, but why is the 172s engine and exhaust sound so muted from standard, i know after market stuff will sort it but y does it have to be like this! if we wanted a quiet car and not interesed in the driving experience we would not buy the 172/182 . manufactures shoud have made it more beefy. ever a mini one sounds more powerful!

arrrrrr ...rant over for now at least

GR7

Shiny red R32

I agree with you and have said it before, a standard 172 just sounds like an ordinary Clio!
My previous Pug 306 Rallye and my S16 sounded far sportier than my Clio!

It sounds much better with my new Magnex, without being over the top.

mini cooper s sounds like a hairdrier

its not actually that bad as standard it has a gruff note to it more than most cars but hey just face it its never gonna be an alfa ;) engines only sound any good with more than 4 pots

VW Potato

yep but...it has to pass emissions regs etc. I think it strikes the right balance - hushed when you need it to, and LOUD AS when you boot it.

g

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

The standard engine note is very quiet. It can start to sound a bit harsh up at the top end as well but not noisy as such. I like the sound on mine more now that Ive got a Viper kit on. Gives a nice noise once you pass 4k revs.

suppose it is ok but a car with 172bhp should have a bit more gurrrrr to it . however i am agreed it does sound mint at about 5k

Ziel Nurburgring

Internally they dont sound great, but with with full loud peddle pulling away they are pretty meaty sounding from outside

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 23 December 2004

mini cooper s sounds like a hairdrier

its not actually that bad as standard it has a gruff note to it more than most cars but hey just face it its never gonna be an alfa ;) engines only sound any good with more than 4 pots
disagree, I love the sound of a straight 4. never heard a 172 without a zorst... well, Donnys Cup I have and that sounds mint.

VaVa

I get a lovely bit of induction noise when I boot my 172, and thats standard. One of my work colleagues commented "You can tell its not an ordinary Clio when you put your foot down. Sounds good"

Its never going to win any prizes, but I think the standard car sounds OK. Not a patch on my TR6 though..

Agreed my 172 has got a full magnex and sounds mint, but our 182 sounds so sh*t its unbelieveable, why should we have to spend almost another £500 to make a brand new car sound how you want it too.

the bend on my cat pipe snapped the other day in glasgow. i had to drive it 100miles with the emissions leaving before the last silencer and backbox. oh my god i couldnt have a boy racer exhaust again. i like the sound of the 172, especially when you boot it :)

Ive got a longlife zorst, fairly quiet until you put yer foot down. At 4K it pumps out 98 Db noise!! Yeah baby!! Drove one without a zorst the other day and it sounded ok, but no better than my old mans vectra. Shame really. Makes it a sleeper though, blends in well with the more subtle styling tweaks that the 172 has over a standard. Meaty, but not over the top. IMO you understand.

its so the car appeals to a wider audience, not everyone wants a car to be loud - so by making it quiet as standard its good for people who want a nippy runaround but for people who wanna go fast, they know they can put an aftermarket exhaust on it...... at the end of the day its so renault can make more money

I used to think my 172 sounded nice with an aftermarket exhaust and filter, But now compared to the V6 its made me realise how crap the sound was.

Elise/VX220/R26

its supposed to sound muted, its meant to be a luxury! Mine sounded like an F-15 just putting the pipercross filter on it, sounds ridiculous now with decat and backbox hehe