ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Double Arse (Help Me Please!)

Hello folks

Well a few days before I did my airbox "conversion" I decided for no apparant reason to put the car upto the rev limeter in 2nd gear I think, but it might have been 3rd. I only did it once and it only lasted a second or two before I dipped the clutch and changed to a higher gear. Anyway since then its not been starting correctly. I have to give it some gas every time I start to stop it juddering and running badly. Its not bad juddering its just, erm, rough I would say. Once I have given it a few very high revs its usually a lot better and I can drive off normally. When I come to a rest again when my journey has finished its ok. Perfect even, just like it used to be. I tried to set off today, this is with my airbox conversion (see the end for what the conversion is). I started the car and tried to pull away with it being all juddering, and it had no power. I dipped the clutch, reved it a bit and then tried again and it worked ok, just like normal. My brother said when I set off normally there was some darker coloured smoke comming out of the exhaust. Tonight when leaving work I started it up and it sounded rough, so I reved it. This time I swear I could hear what sounded that like slushing water. Everytime I reved it high there was that sound. I reversed back and drove home. When I got home I did the same high reving and it made no other sound apart from the normal engine sounds.

Any ideas?

My airbox mod was basically the removal of the hot air feed pipe (pointed it away from the engine). And the removal of the cold/hot air switch and replaced them with some bigger cold air feed pipes from some custom scoops behind the venting on the bumper. Works really well, picks up better and seems to rev smoother. Its not mad a massive difference, but I never expected it to. I am getting a high flow filter for it, and only really expect it to make a bit of a difference when I get my new exhaust system.

Paul

Help, I got to go out in a min, and re-live my terrible start ups. Not looking forward to it!

Paul

Cheers paddymph and elliot.

First elliot, the problem started before I did the airbox, so I doubt its that.

I will be reseting the ecu now paddy. I thought it might be that, but lets just wait and see.

I was also thinking today, could it be the autochoke?

Paul

Mk2 172

Autochoke or something similar. I think the 1.4rt still has an advance/r****d pipe & diaphragm ("dia-fram") which might have been damaged by red-lining your engine.

This might now be making the mixture too lean or too rich for the engine to start when it is cold. I guess it would be too lean.

If it hasnt got the AR diaphragm, then an ECU reset might shift it.

Well I detatched the battery for 15 hours and it was a lot better. Still wasnt perfect though. But all day yesterday it was working normally again. Could it have been the temperature?

Paul