ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drove a RB182 from Motor Depot Today

Nissan 370Z
Before i start...if i dont have a new car with pictures posted by the 7th June you can BAN me from the forum.
I have a budget of up to 10k..but id rather have a 182 rb and save my money..however my grandad wants me to get a diesel..of which a 1.9cdti astra remapped would be my choice.

Anyway..

The RB182 had 60k, immaculate, extensive service history, NO rattles or squeeks on the test drive.
IT also had the clima control in there rather than the switches..janspeed exhaust sytem, 4new tyres and new brakes..cambelts all done too.
MPG computer was showing 35.6which was good.

The price was just £4990...which is on the cheap side isnt it?

I found no REAL power came until after about 4700rpm..is that normal?

Thanks

clio 182
the around the "5k kick"

check to see if its not a parallel import, thats all really seems good.

i paid 6500k for a silver 182 from scunny with 41k on the clock. i paid well too much but nowt i can do about it now lol

Clio 182
depends what type driving you do... personally id go for a lower milage one.. after all no matter how tight it feels now, its still only french!

Nissan 370Z
well im doing 30miles every day...20of these are motorway..10are traffic and slow moving. havent seen many with the climate buttons and what not it..only thing it didnt have was the splitter.
Seems daft id go for a car for 5k when i could get a 08plate 1.9cdti astra! but i just love the rb 182's!

MCS R56
The Clio is not really a motorway car but it'll handle it, for sure. The diesel will suit you better on the motorway, less so in other situations.

Nissan 370Z
I have posted at the top..so if i havent got pics up with my private plate Y18 JWL then ill leave the forum for good.

What are peoples opinions on the astra cdti...with a remap there around 200ps!

MCS R56
I have posted at the top..so if i havent got pics up with my private plate Y18 JWL then ill leave the forum for good.

What are peoples opinions on the astra cdti...with a remap there around 200ps!

Wrong forum to ask about diesels.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
well im doing 30miles every day...20of these are motorway..10are traffic and slow moving. havent seen many with the climate buttons and what not it..only thing it didnt have was the splitter.
Seems daft id go for a car for 5k when i could get a 08plate 1.9cdti astra! but i just love the rb 182's!

its an astra :(

MKV R32
before i bought my 182 a clio and an 1.9cdti astra were on my list.i test drove the astra and hated it, the seats are horrible the steering is light as anything, and was not fun to drive at all.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
My experience of Astra hire cars are pretty similar to El Marko's, fair enough mine were less powerful models but everything else about the car is just horrible. It is probably better screwed together than a 182 but it is uncomfortable and doesnt feel half as big as it looks, the boot opening is terrible as well if you ever use the boot.

The steering in particular is very light and remote feeling, they arent an involving drive and in no time at all i think a person who enjoys 'driving' will be bored s**tless

Nissan 370Z
looks like its going to be the astra with a tuning box..looking around --214ps and 333lb ft torque. dont know why my grandad wants to spend an extra 5k for an astra when id be more than happy with a 182 rb that i drove today!

320d
I'd get a decent tuning box though, over on the Astra forums theres a really popular one that makes a good 200bhp and around 330lbft. Theres more to it that headline power figures, want to make sure its a decent map ad will be healthy for the engine.

Its good your getting a free car though. I'd definately drive a free astra. I'd probably want a fun car too though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not prying in your buisness (even if 24 hours doesnt pass between these threads you post) but, why would your grandad have any influence over your choice if its your car?

Nissan 370Z
he insures it through his company, and he just likes diesels!
but tbf...with those figures for the astra its hardly going to be slow..and great on mpg too.
but deep down id still prefer the clio.

Nissan 370Z
well..in say 2years time the vauxhall will be worth alot more..and he is paying for it..so i guess i should listen and have respect to him for that. and if its worth more in a few years then that will be better.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
well..in say 2years time the vauxhall will be worth alot more..and he is paying for it..so i guess i should listen and have respect to him for that. and if its worth more in a few years then that will be better.

It will be worth a fraction more, you can get them for 7k now...!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I didnt say which year though did i?

Tbh, im beginning to think you just wet dream about these things and never actually put words into action with it, as i said, these threads are 4 a week with you.

It seems like your trying to convince the rest of us rather than yourself

A ANIMAL
he insures it through his company, and he just likes diesels!
but tbf...with those figures for the astra its hardly going to be slow..and great on mpg too.
but deep down id still prefer the clio.

Wouldn't bank on it mate, my friemd has the 150 and on our trip to Alton towers he got 43 mpg and i got 44.3. he had 2 extra passengers but still.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Wouldn't bank on it mate, my friemd has the 150 and on our trip to Alton towers he got 43 mpg and i got 44.3. he had 2 extra passengers but still.

To add, a 182 will sit at 40mpg (easily) all day.

I know what id rather from the two, i have a mate with a 5 door SRi and whilst i really like them they arent all that on the reliability front...

Inlet manifold failed
EGR valve needed replaced
oil leak from injector etc

All covered under warranty but i was suprised these things failed

320d

W17GLE off here has a 150bhp CDTI Vectra with a tuning box and he can get over 60mpg out of his on the motorway and 50 around town.

Thats a bigger heavier car too.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Diesel though? Really?

Nothing, nothing, nothing, 400lb/ft, wheeeeze, nothing, change up.

No thanky. I can't live without revs.

MCS R56

I take it you worked this out and didn't just read the trip computer?!

So let me get this right...your Grandad is buying and insuring this car and is keen for you to get an Astra derv but you like the idea of the 182.

Obviously, on a Clio forum, the majority that can be bothered posting will tell you to get the Clio, which is a fair shout. But are you going to be allowed the Clio, as it sounds like you are trying to build up a book of evidence to show your Grandad to sway him to buy you the Clio.

For Grandad...

If you are looking for a car that can get good gains for £400, is quick in gear and is cheap to run, go for the Astra. It will be easy to drive on the motorway too, so arthritis will not be an issue.

If you are wanting a fun car that handles well, has decent performance when you ring it's neck and is also fairly cheap to run, get the Clio. It won't be as forgiving on the motorway but it will get you there. Remember piss bag on B-road blasts.

Rusty Cup
I found no REAL power came until after about 4700rpm..is that normal?

Lack of power before 5k is normal :) RStuner will help alleviate this, but as far as im concerned when im driving the clio im either driving it fast!! or driving it slow there kinda isnt much in between.

My pet hate about my clio is putting my foot down at low revs in second and nothing happening!! lol

Nissan 370Z
at the end of the day if he wont let me get the clio i wont! personally if it was my money id buy a 182straight away.

People that mention the things that go wrong with the astra..surely my warranty will cover that?