ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dull finish on resprayed panel, how to bring it back to life?

Impreza Wagon
I recently bought a Saab 9-3 Estate and have noticed the rear quarter has been resprayed at some point. Upon closer inspection you can see where it's been masked off against original paint work! The overall finish is also a little duller than the rest of the paintwork and actually looks a bobbly if that makes sense?

Can anything be done with cutting compounds to bring it back to life or does it sound like another respray will solve it?

I'm afraid I don't have any photos at the moment but will get some this weekend. The car in question is below, it's an odd colour because it's not metallic as such.

ACB5137A-515B-4350-8581-F94D3A2FC617-4558-0000078485888401_zpsdae8bc1c.jpg

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
IMO not enough top coat so goin at it with a compound might break through.

Try a light polish by hand and see if it brings back the shine

Impreza Wagon
Not sure I trust myself with a rotary polisher! It does seem like there's just not enough paint on it...

Impreza Wagon
I know I won't get it perfect but a little better would be nice. I'll report back with some results at the weekend of the weathers good.

It's impossible to say what would sort it without seeing it.

TBH unless it's very very light flatting marks, which it doesn't sound like from your description, you're not going to improve it much if at all by hand.

Need a picture of the said issues. :) Definately do not rotarty polish it if your a novice, your asking for epic fail, especially if its a lacquer blend or very thin applicaiton of paint..