ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"el diablo" mk2 1.4 from Colombia

Hi everyone, i'm kinda new over here, been following lots of projects and getting some inspiration but barely posted anything 'til now. I already introduced myself, i'm from Colombia and i'm very jealous of all of you than can get quite cheap 172/182 and an extensive aftermarket for them, i just tell that we don't even have 2 doors Clios over here, and the Sport only came from 2002-2004 i guess, and they're very rare and expensive.

Anyway, i started with a mk1 Twingo, 2007 over here (we had the mk1 Twingo until last year), phase 3 i think, 1.2 16v. I started doing little things to it until i crashed and the insurance gave it for a total loss, paying me it's total commercial value.

Those are 14" F1, wich come with the Dynamique Clio, we don't know them in 15" ^^
IMG_8275.jpg

Another one before the crash, tinted fog lights... ugly plate i know.
2012-10-14 12.30.58.jpg

And this is how it ended... doesn't look so bad but it affected the carter, chasis points and plenty of things that made the repair value too high for the insurance... i don't really know a scrapyard over here, what the insurance companies do is sell it cheap, someone fix it on their own to keep, or to resell.
2012-12-07 09.12.19.jpg

After all the wait for them to pay, i finally came to buy a 2006 mk2 ph2 Clio Expression, (the more basic of them all) from a cousin, cheap for me and for the market, expensive for you. You will notice funny thing about this models over here, the ph2 kept the boot door badgeless from the ph1 until this year, when the Campus 1.2 just arrived. It also kept the interior form the ph1 until 2006. The top model (Dynamique) came with F1 alloys in 14", other models had some 5 fat rays in 14", and the basic models had stealth wheels with crappy plastic trims. (mine), there might be other things i don't recall that differ from European models. Oh, we also have the sedan Clio (Symbol) that you found so rare and ugly, some mexican guy has a thread over here.

Now some pics and progress.

Making the deal..
2012-12-15 16.28.58.jpg

It needed service, my cousin was first owner, 70.000 kms, already changed belts, needed brake discs, afination, cleaning injectors, sparks plugs, tires, and love.

i put the Twingo wheels but i didn't wanted 14" and the tires where too small for the CLio (perfect for the Twingo)
2012-12-18 16.01.59.jpg

So i wasloooking for some OEM 15" from renault, but all of them are too plain, i almost get some 16" from a Megane mk2 but 16" were too much for me i guess, and still to plain, barely offset and no lip. And i was on a budget so i got to buy some 15" stealths from a Logan, and got them turned over, to make the dish dipper and with more lip, but i didn't measured it so they started rubbing on the back with the arc.

2013-01-26 11.45.41.jpg

2013-01-26 12.48.11.jpg

They were too wide and without lower springs it looked like a truck, i kinda liked the aggressive look but wasn't 100% happy, and they were rubbing...
2013-01-26 13.26.46.jpg

2013-01-26 13.45.37.jpg

I left it that way a couple of weeks, painted the front badge with plastidip, and tinted the windows (that's not your style, but we do have sun over here, it's pretty effective for the interior, dims the lights on my rear view mirror aaaand i actually love the looks of it, it goes with the two tone plan for the car.

2013-01-27 17.35.08.jpg

2013-02-02 13.40.43.jpg

I'll leave it 'til here and keep posting the progress until this day, so it won't be just a long boring post, but several long boring posts ^^ one after the other.

Then i fixed the wheels and got them with less lip, no rubbing but a pain in the ass with the vibration (always do this on a profesional shop, not just some guy around ^^) i put a K&N air filter on the box, and after some photoshop i decided to look sooner for some springs, i posted on a local forum and someone had a set of Vogtlands kind of cheap, to get me started.

2013-02-07 14.03.15.jpg

2013-02-07 14.03.25.jpg

clioLow.jpg

A bit lower (35 to 40 mm on both front and back i guess), not too hard, and our streets are pretty shitty and full of speed bumps, great for the road.
2013-02-17 12.18.52.jpg

2013-02-17 12.19.16.jpg

But then the freaking rubbing came back on one side, on the test drive of the springs i scratched a tire :(..

So i sold the F1 wheels and closed my eyes and bought some Enkei RPF1 reps, very good quality, there's a dealer over here and gave lifetime warranty, never had problems with other users from the local club forum, so i went for it.
2013-02-22 13.57.43.jpg

Can't afford actual Enkei sadly, very expensive over here. the RPF1s are a bit JDM but they're also similar to the F1s, my other option was TE37s but those are more JDM and the offset they had on 15" had no lip at all, and that's the beauty of those wheels.

I like the two tone theme for this car, and i'm planing on wrapping / dipping the roof black, but it needed some life too, something to bring it out, specially the wheels, there's a black hole in there, so last weekend i painted the calipers and side mirrors bullets.

2013-03-31 09.56.22.jpg

First a good clenaing on the arcs, years of dust, i'm always pretty impressed when you post pics from these lower parts of the cars, your weather really is hard on the parts, there's a lot of dirt over here, but not so much rust.
2013-03-31 10.56.21.jpg

I'm not surre about color coding, like i said, like the black / silver combination, i'll give it a though. I painted the side strips and mirror base with plastidip, to protect from the sun and bring up the black.
2013-03-31 11.36.42.jpg

some masking
2013-03-31 12.42.36.jpg

2013-03-31 13.38.59.jpg

2013-03-31 13.39.15.jpg

i painted the side badges but i hated it, they're coming black again.
2013-03-31 13.39.30.jpg

woop... bright yellow FTW
2013-03-31 13.40.21.jpg

base
2013-03-31 14.21.13.jpg

2013-03-31 14.21.20.jpg

2013-03-31 15.47.25.jpg

2013-03-31 15.52.05.jpg

2013-03-31 16.22.20.jpg

2013-03-31 16.36.35.jpg

Final result... loved it.
2013-03-31 18.02.35.jpg

That's the way it is right now, have plans for it, but really slow progress, parts are hard to get and kinda expensive for what they are.

RS Grill (Might take a look at the new campus grill, not so bad and easier to get here)
Fog lights
Dynamique spoiler (Cup would be great but no way to get it here, just the long U shaped one and i don't like it)
RS Rear boot badge and lock. I'll ask if the new campus one fits the ph2 boot door, it seems to be a bit more straight thant the ph2.
In the far future, lower errr... would love some coils, but like i said, pretty expensive.
Would be nice the Dynamique door cards, with electric windows commands, as i have some generic commands on the sides of the shifts stick.
Decat, and better pipes, with a nice muffler (would love to change the rear bumper for a 182 (impossible to get) and the double muffler.)
Front lights refurb
Silver visions (send me a couple ^^)
Not many plans for the engine, might do a remap, and a better air filter, combined with better exhaust will be fine for my needs.

There's no race track here, just a few improvised ones, and we like to do is hill climb and downhill, grip, not drift.

Keeping in mind my plans and tastes, i'm open to compliments ^^, and recommendations, my main problem lke i said is the shipping, everything, even small must come from UK, if some of you fit a big package and send it over would be nice jeje.

​Cheers, and thanks for reading.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Personally not keen on the yellow mirrors, but it looks good.

Never seen wheels turned like that before either - looked good until you found they started rubbing. And that they made the car look like it was on stilts! :D

Personally not keen on the yellow mirrors, but it looks good.

Never seen wheels turned like that before either - looked good until you found they started rubbing. And that they made the car look like it was on stilts! :D

yea, a shame with the wheels, specially because the vibrate too much, not so well welded i guess, i still have them tho.. i wanna keep them for when i have some coils and can be dropped a lot, then some stretched tires and a nice and slow ride :D ... even they're not so wide.

i'vee seen a lot of discussion on this matter on different forums, but i;m gonna ask again...

getting some spacers affect the suspension, and everything wheel/related? bearings, springs, dampers, etc... and how about safety, it;s a daily car, but i do push it hard sometimes, i need it to be steady and safe, but i would like to take the wheels a bit out, too much fender gap, and those springs will have to remain for a while, so it won't get lower soon.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
i'vee seen a lot of discussion on this matter on different forums, but i;m gonna ask again...

getting some spacers affect the suspension, and everything wheel/related? bearings, springs, dampers, etc... and how about safety, it;s a daily car, but i do push it hard sometimes, i need it to be steady and safe, but i would like to take the wheels a bit out, too much fender gap, and those springs will have to remain for a while, so it won't get lower soon.

Loads of folks running spacers on here. As long as it's not a stupid size, and you use hubcentric spacers, which bolt to the hub, and then the wheels bolts to the spacers, you'll be fine.

​I'm running 20mm spacers all round on my mk3.

Loads of folks running spacers on here. As long as it's not a stupid size, and you use hubcentric spacers, which bolt to the hub, and then the wheels bolts to the spacers, you'll be fine.

​I'm running 20mm spacers all round on my mk3.

ok thanks, i'm not sure how wide are my wheels, the offset is 6.5j i guess, looks like stock 15"s, i guess 20mm should be fine, i'm not so sure where to get around here jeje. I'm in need of some centering rings, my wheels have a bigger hole than the cars hub, will the spacers come with the same diameter than the cars hub or will it be bigger? might have 2 birds on one shot if the spacers have the correct size for my wheels... how about custom made?

and last Q: with hub centric i wont need longer lugs right?

Clio 172
Liking what you've done to the car, banded wheels are a big thing with VW's over here especially MKI and MKII Golfs but as you found out if they are not done right they can wobble or be just dangerous. As for spacers I run 15mm rear and 25mm fronts. I use my car mainly for track use but hubcentric spacers shouldn't wear out your car and more then normal driving will.

Liking what you've done to the car, banded wheels are a big thing with VW's over here especially MKI and MKII Golfs but as you found out if they are not done right they can wobble or be just dangerous. As for spacers I run 15mm rear and 25mm fronts. I use my car mainly for track use but hubcentric spacers shouldn't wear out your car and more then normal driving will.

good to know that, thanks. Any refs, brands or links would be helpfull.

Clio 172
good to know that, thanks. Any refs, brands or links would be helpfull.

Mine are H&R, but you can get eibach. There is a guy on here in the Traders section from Dan from M.A.D and he is doing spacers from 15mm - 25mm. As for the longer wheel bolt question some Hubcentric spacers have their own bolts and bolt to your hub and then your wheel bolts bolt to them. Other Hubcentric spacers have longer wheel nuts so you bolt through the wheels then the spacers and into the hub.

Mine are H&R, but you can get eibach. There is a guy on here in the Traders section from Dan from M.A.D and he is doing spacers from 15mm - 25mm. As for the longer wheel bolt question some Hubcentric spacers have their own bolts and bolt to your hub and then your wheel bolts bolt to them. Other Hubcentric spacers have longer wheel nuts so you bolt through the wheels then the spacers and into the hub.

ok, thanks again, gonna look into it. I hope he ships worldwide ^^