ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine block heater

Clio 200
Anybody got any experiance with engine block heaters?
Thinking about running one on my new build because with forged pistons it seems like a good idea to really help reduce wear - also I hate the cold so would be nice to have warm blowers in the morning! :)

Seems like there are 2 types but I have no experiance with either, hence wondering if anyone here does?
DEFA make a kit actually for the F4R, it looks like an element that goes into the frost plug blank by the exh manifold, seems like a nice solution. The other type are those that splice into a block coolant hose, more universal in application but aslong as high quality clamps are used and possibly an excuse to upgrade to silicone hoses this should also be fine?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I assume HGV's don't have them? Lol
Not in this country dan
you can either use a fuel(diesel) burning heater as fitted to a lot of later Rovers/Land Rovers called thermo z tops
or the electric element type that you plug into the mains much simpler and cheaper to fit in the heater pipes, this are mostly fitted to stationery engine like big diesel generators etc

Clio 200
Whats a thermoplunger then? Where does it install on the DCi and would it install in the same way (same parts) on mine?

Sounds like it would be a more complicated setup? The main idea with the dedicated DEFA setup is I could ust hook the car up to the mains when I'm at home and leave it on, you can get timers and wifi controls etc but they are more geared at cold climates really.

Whats a thermoplunger then? Where does it install on the DCi and would it install in the same way (same parts) on mine?

Sounds like it would be a more complicated setup? The main idea with the dedicated DEFA setup is I could ust hook the car up to the mains when I'm at home and leave it on, you can get timers and wifi controls etc but they are more geared at cold climates really.

Thermoplungers on the DCI go on the heater-engine block pipe. Basically a small block with 4 glow plugs in it.

It's ideal if you don't want to run mains to the car.

Clio 200
Yeah thats the kind of thing, this one looks a bit low rent though as the power doesn't look to have any sort of weather sealing. Kenlowe list something similar on their website (small compact single piece item), but all the Googling for Kenlowe pre-heaters brings up results for some huge contraption with seperate pump and heater. I've emailed them for clarification.

Thermoplungers on the DCI go on the heater-engine block pipe. Basically a small block with 4 glow plugs in it.

It's ideal if you don't want to run mains to the car.
If it's not using mains then is it using battery or fuel to run? Tbh it sounds way more complicated to install.

They all seem to work by heating coolant though, so do they just rely on the heat radiating to the block/pistons etc? Are there any devices out there that target the oil?

Clio 200