ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine chage 1.2 to 1.4/1.6

Clio 172 ph2
hi all im going to change the engine in my 1.2 16v clio to a 1.4 16v or a 1.6 16v because the headgasket has gone and im bored of the 1.2
i was just woundering how much work is involved i.e engine mounts, wiring loom, gearbox, drive shafts
i no ill need the ecu and key i was planning on buying a damaged car but i cant find any:(
but how much work is involved

thanks

Megane 225 F1
I'm sure it will be pretty much the same amount of work as a 2.0 conversion.

So a lot of other stuff such as suspension, exhaust...

MK2 Clio
TBH mate, buy a 2l if your going to do that, if you can afford the insurance on an engine conversion you can afford the 2l insurance and my mate just changed his engine with the world of problems (from 1.2 to 2l)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
quite rare for a 1.2 16v headgasket to be blow, they commonly leak oil from the gasket at the rear but not enough to worry about

Clio 172 ph2
im not sure if it is the head gaskit there is a lot of mayo in the oil filer cap but no oil in the water and the breathers are all clear but im geting a lot of gasses cuming up through the oil filer cap

Clio 172 ph2
so do you rekon that its nothing to worry about then. But im stil intrested about doing the conversion thanks

ITB'd MK1
sounds entirely normal for that engine.

If you really want to do a conversion, and not go for 2 litre, the 1.6 16v (k4m) is the better option