ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Conversion -1.2 To 1.4 Or Renault 5 Gtt

MK1 CLIO
HI ALL,

The bottom end on my 1.2 (energy engine) is causing the car to smoke, and the head ive been told is not in good nick, i have a friend of mine who is a renault mechanic willing to swap my engine, anyway to cut a long story short.

what is involved in putting in the R5 GTT engine??
  • Does the exhaust meet up?
  • Do i need special mountings?
  • Will i have to change my ecu/wiring?
  • Driveshalfs / brakes?
also on the topic of swaping would a 1.4 (energy engine) slot straight in and what would have to be changed for it to run...

All help would be greatly recieved and please dont tell me to put a 1.8 16v in. Thanks

Exhaust can be made to fit
Yep 1.1 day and night mounts I belive.
GTT engine nice and simple wiring won't be huge.

Brakes I'd upgrade and use the 259mm sets from Williams/Valvers etc.
I think shafts are fine but you need the gearbox realy although I've been lead to belive (never checked) the 1.2 gearbox is a GTT direvative box so might handle the abuse for a bit.

Personally I'd get a GTT doner car it will be much chepaer and sell of the rest of the unused bits you don't have any boost gauages so you'd want them plus I think the GTT had oil temp and level lights so you'd want them as well.

S2000
Not too sure about the GTT lump. The 1.4 energy though would slot straight in though in terms of loom, mounts gearbox, driveshafts etc etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is the ECU as I would think it would need to be changed if you put the 1.4 in there.

Why would you not want to put a 16v in there? tbh all you need is the 16v engine, ECU, fuel pump, suspension and brakes. The mounts, gearbox and driveshafts could all be re-used.

S2000
edde said:
Exhaust can be made to fit
Yep 1.1 day and night mounts I belive.
GTT engine nice and simple wiring won't be huge.

Brakes I'd upgrade and use the 259mm sets from Williams/Valvers etc.
I think shafts are fine but you need the gearbox realy although I've been lead to belive (never checked) the 1.2 gearbox is a GTT direvative box so might handle the abuse for a bit.

Personally I'd get a GTT doner car it will be much chepaer and sell of the rest of the unused bits you don't have any boost gauages so you'd want them plus I think the GTT had oil temp and level lights so you'd want them as well.

As long as the gearbox fits fine then it will definately be strong enough as the JB1 boxes are actually quite strong.

Looking for a ph-quick...
Valver lump is far easier than 5 GTT, wiring will be a pig! With the valver its just a straight swap! You will need valver engine mounts as there slightly different, loom and ECU is a simple swap, supension is a swap, Plus i have hybrid engine and williams box for sale ;).

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Sorry to bring this up from the dead,

Clioman51 do you have any guides or advice / help on the 1.2-1.4 conversion as I'm looking to do this, cheers

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Probably more likely to get a reply from PMing him mate, looks like he still comes on sometimes but was nearly a month ago last time.