ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine/exhaust/subframe knock

2003 Clio 172
Hey gang,

We have all been through this at some stage.....and we usually resolve it with a polybushed dogbone or just healthier mounts but I am in a situation where I am getting the exhaust/manifold - subframe type knock from the bulkhead under acceleration....usually only 1st gear.

• My dog bone mount is poly bushed
  • Upper driver side mount brand new
  • Upper gearbox mount brand new
  • Both upper GB and drivers side mounts loosened and engine pulled forwards/re-tightened

Gave it a squirt this morning and was gutted to hear that 'orrible knock/vibration.

Is it possible to see where the manifold and bulkhead/subframe hit? I looked for ages last night but could not see anything.

Has anyone ever had a poly bushed dogbone wear to the point of replacement? Do they even wear or do they have a lifespan?

Losing the plot here a bit :S

J

Hey gang,

We have all been through this at some stage.....and we usually resolve it with a polybushed dogbone or just healthier mounts but I am in a situation where I am getting the exhaust/manifold - subframe type knock from the bulkhead under acceleration....usually only 1st gear.

• My dog bone mount is poly bushed
  • Upper driver side mount brand new
  • Upper gearbox mount brand new
  • Both upper GB and drivers side mounts loosened and engine pulled forwards/re-tightened

Gave it a squirt this morning and was gutted to hear that 'orrible knock/vibration.

Is it possible to see where the manifold and bulkhead/subframe hit? I looked for ages last night but could not see anything.

Has anyone ever had a poly bushed dogbone wear to the point of replacement? Do they even wear or do they have a lifespan?

Losing the plot here a bit :confused:

J
The exhaust does not touch the sub frame its impossible.
The exhaust manifold on the 182 touches the anti roll bar you will see a shiny witness mark.
On the 172 its the cat that touches the arb.
I used the phase 1 172 dogbone and mounting bracket to increase the gap on my 182,this works because the overall length of the mount is shorter compared to the twisted dogbone on the 182.
1st gear foot to the floor in the dry and over bumps in the road with no vibration.

2003 Clio 172
Well that's interesting......so on my Ph2 172.......the knock is coming from the cat/arb?

That might be something down to the exhaust hang........the centre section was replaced over the summer (warranty replacement from Ktec) and while I haven't noticed the knock back then, thinking about it.....I haven't given the car much stick either.

I will have a look at the weekend and see if the way the exhaust is fitted (notably the centre section) could be pulling the cat into the line of fire.

Cheers for the thoughts guys

J