ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine reving to hard at height speeds will it break

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Renaultsport clio197
Hi all I just brought my first clio 197 07reg is it ok to go flat out in it coz when I started really giving some on the motorway the engine revs are so high it's like the car is screeming for u to slow down will it do damage to the engine goin so fast for long drives on the motorway

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Warm it up with 10 mins of driving, then rev its nuts off, will be fine.

Renaultsport clio197
I'm not on about sitting at 70 if I wanted to do that I would of got a 1litre I'm on about sitin at 110-flat out

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I'm not on about sitting at 70 if I wanted to do that I would of got a 1litre I'm on about sitin at 110-flat out

The limit is 70, nobody is going to help you with 'sitin at 110-flat out' also, 110 isn't flat out.

However, having said that, 110 for long periods won't cause any issues.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
FlameSuit2.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On our recent ring trip we needed to do a bit of a last minute dash to the ferry (one of the rare ones where you catch it from a german autobahn, not a french one which is by roads with speed limits) and we did over 200 miles in under 2 hours in our 172 (essentially the same engine as yours although ours makes a little more power than yours will), it never missed a beat, and during the entire trip of 1700 miles including 3 ring tourist days, 1 ring closed circuit day, and a day at spa, it used only about 250cc or so of oil, in fact possibly even a little under that.

Thats on phase 2 gearing which is 5000rpm for 100mph roughly, we were sat at mainly 6Krpm for most of the 2 hours.

Obviously going to wear more than driven steady, but no real drama. Ours is now on 150K miles nearly and did 20 trackdays or so last year.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all I just brought my first clio 197 07reg. Is it ok to go flat out in it because when I started really giving some on the Autobahn the engine revs are so high it's like the car is screaming for you to slow down. Will it do damage to the engine going so fast for long drives on the Autobahn?

EF spelling, grammar and the OP's safety :p

Renaultsport clio197
No I said I was goin 110 mininum to flat out I Neva said 110 was flat out all u slathers u tell me u Neva been flat out at 2am wen it's like your the only one on the motorway

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ours N/A clio gets to about 150mph or so totally flat out, Ive never held it there for long though, as I cant see the point, my turbo zings round to 170mph or so in no time and then runs out of gearing and no way would I want to hold it at those RPM for long.

What sort of speed and what sort of distance are you talking about?

Personally I would never hold one of these engines anything much past 6K for more than a couple of minutes.

Buy something geared for 200mph if you want to do 150 for long periods is your best bet for a happy life (till you go to prison of course)

Renaultsport clio197
I gota on a 100mile motorway drive earlydoors sat morning and I wana sit at 110 the whole way

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I gota on a 100mile motorway drive earlydoors sat morning and I wana sit at 110 the whole way

Other than the obvious risk of the police, that should be absolutely fine. The engine should have no drama with that, like I said we did twice that distance at more than that speed recently in ours and it was fine.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Regardless of whether your car can go 110 or 210mph, it's illegal for a reason. We have all done things we shouldn't do but if you're more concerned about the damage to your engine than the damage you could do to your (or other people's) lives then you really need to sort your priorities out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Where about is this drive from and to? Just so we can gauge additional load on the engine from hills etc

Flol :)

Sunglasses ron on here would be a good one to ask about that, tell him exactly where and what time of day etc you are going, and he can really help you out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Regardless of whether your car can go 110 or 210mph, it's illegal for a reason. We have all done things we shouldn't do but if you're more concerned about the damage to your engine than the damage you could do to your (or other people's) lives then you really need to sort your priorities out.

Seriously?

You actually fall for all that "speed kills" nonsense the government pedal while justifying fining people for fast safe driving cause its easier than fining people who actually drive badly?

There is nothing dangerous about doing 110mph on an empty motorway in a modern car IMHO.

The germans have unlimited roads and no worse a road safety record, speed in built up areas kills, speed on the open road with adequete gap between cars is not a significant risk to life at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Might be worth you videoing it and posting up on here, then we can give feedback on how your engine sounds etc.

Make sure you include your numberplate as then we can look up any specifics about your engine from the chassis number etc.

Renaultsport clio197
Seriously?

You actually fall for all that "speed kills" nonsense the government pedal while justifying fining people for fast safe driving cause its easier than fining people who actually drive badly?

There is nothing dangerous about doing 110mph on an empty motorway in a modern car IMHO.

The germans have unlimited roads and no worse a road safety record, speed in built up areas kills, speed on the open road with adequete gap between cars is not a significant risk to life at all.

Thank you

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Seriously?

No, for the record I don't fall for that... Having driven quite a lot in Germany I firmly believe that it's safe provided that the conditions are right and you're well aware of what's going on. What I have a problem with is the average driver in the UK, typically absolutely clueless.

Poor driving does need to be tackled, but you're right... It's easier to milk the ones that push the boundaries on the speed limits.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No, for the record I don't fall for that... Having driven quite a lot in Germany I firmly believe that it's safe provided that the conditions are right and you're well aware of what's going on. What I have a problem with is the average driver in the UK, typically absolutely clueless.

Poor driving does need to be tackled, but you're right... It's easier to milk the ones that push the boundaries on the speed limits.

The way people on here treat speeding as a whole as if its dangerous rather than just clearly there purely for environmental and revenue generation purposes is quite surprising.

I dont think someone is doing anything morally wrong doing 110mph if doing so in appropriate conditions, regardless of the law.

30mph in the pouring rain in a crowded town centre in the dark though by comparison, is potentially dangerous but not illegal.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Handy that, he should know that road well then so can offer some really good feedback on how the guy is getting on once he posts the videos up.

ITB BG 182
M1 m25 a12

M1 and M25 are my routes to and from places of work, Ive had a few things changed on the car recently and would not mind finding out how it runs against a 197.

What day and time are you looking at? I'll see if I can meet up with ya for a 140 run. An going on to the A12 is Rons area, I am sure he would be up for a high speed run.

Status
Not open for further replies.