ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine shudders and pop from exhaust

172 with k-tec sound
ok guys can anyone shed any light my car ticks over lumpy and now and then goes to stall me and da have had a look and there is shuddering from the engine and there is a poping from exhaust cheers

172 with k-tec sound
ok cheers guys :D i changed my spark plugs about 2 weeks ago engine sounds really noisy down to the shudder just to add i had 16 new valves timingbelt head skimmed done about 5/6 week ago due to pretensioner collapsing and i have now got a whine in first and second gear also when revs are dropping back it just seams really lumpy also i seem to have a buzz from my throttle body

R35 GTR
ok cheers guys :D i changed my spark plugs about 2 weeks ago engine sounds really noisy down to the shudder just to add i had 16 new valves timingbelt head skimmed done about 5/6 week ago due to pretensioner collapsing and i have now got a whine in first and second gear also when revs are dropping back it just seams really lumpy also i seem to have a buzz from my throttle body

buzz from throttle body may be the normal noise it makes. It does make a high pitched noise.

Dodgy one
Is it lumpy and popping all the time or just while the choke is on?

If its any help mine does it with the choke on and is fine afterwards once warmed up

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Where about's are you based fella? Mine did this and it turned out to be the wiring

Da

Less
J - He lives near me ;)

Rich - hot or cold, doesn't seem to make a difference.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked all the wiring? I know the garage that did mine said it was bad earth on the ECU and the ECU contacts, could be worth a try

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
So many people so close lol, try the wires under the fusebox, they often corrode, and check the ECU connections etc, you checked the Lambda sensors?

172 with k-tec sound
So many people so close lol, try the wires under the fusebox, they often corrode, and check the ECU connections etc, you checked the Lambda sensors?
lol ok will do mate and will check the ecu connections aswell iv not checked the lambda sensors but iv had my toxic fume warning light on a few times comes on then goes off :S

172 with k-tec sound
were are you located mate is there any chance you can come and have a look for me as im crap at the whole car thing lol:D

120d M-Sport
My car will cut out sometimes when i start it if i dont give it a little rev, its not happened when warm though! Also in cold weather will give a pop or 2 from the exhaust. And finally i got the whine sound from 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds :rasp:

Sounds just like mine to be honest mate! But never gives any problems once on the road, i think most are like this matey but unsure. Just thought i'd mention that i have the same sort of things happening :)

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
were are you located mate is there any chance you can come and have a look for me as im crap at the whole car thing lol:D

It could well be a Lambda then, it it's not reading right it'll mess with the fuelling and could cause it to overfuel, giving bad performance and then the backfire, I live in foulridge, but am currently in Leeds for uni exams. When I'm back I'll give you a shout, I have a spare Lambda or can try mine to see if it sorts it :)

172 with k-tec sound
It could well be a Lambda then, it it's not reading right it'll mess with the fuelling and could cause it to overfuel, giving bad performance and then the backfire, I live in foulridge, but am currently in Leeds for uni exams. When I'm back I'll give you a shout, I have a spare Lambda or can try mine to see if it sorts it :)

nice one mate thnx:D

Da

Less
The car is still under warranty though so bear that in mind before you start messing with sensors etc.

Personally I'd have it back to Perrys and explain to them you're not happy. As I said to you yesterday, if it was my car I'd be dumping it back with them and not wanting it returned until it was 100%.

172 with k-tec sound
My car will cut out sometimes when i start it if i dont give it a little rev, its not happened when warm though! Also in cold weather will give a pop or 2 from the exhaust. And finally i got the whine sound from 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds :rasp:

Sounds just like mine to be honest mate! But never gives any problems once on the road, i think most are like this matey but unsure. Just thought i'd mention that i have the same sort of things happening :)
ok thanx mate cheers

172 with k-tec sound
The car is still under warranty though so bear that in mind before you start messing with sensors etc.

Personally I'd have it back to Perrys and explain to them you're not happy. As I said to you yesterday, if it was my car I'd be dumping it back with them and not wanting it returned until it was 100%.
yeah true i dont know if my sensors are coverd under warranty tho or its wear ect im not going to even touch the sensors untill iv spoken to perrys to see what they say:D

Clio 172Cup and Vw Bora
mine runs alittle lumpy ive been told many do
also i get popping from my exshaust always had but its always ran well enough

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Agh fair enough, if it's under warranty, steam into your dealer with a very stern look on your face and pick your target, tell them you want it fixing please, as it's not running, if you're polite yet serious they should sort you out swiftly and free :)