ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine transplant? 2002 clio 1.4 16v To 1.6 16v??

clio 1.4 16v 02
Ok so I am thinking of changing the cylinder head on my 2002 clio 1.4 16v, took the spark plugs out today to check/clean. One of the spark plug was a little warn, (when putting the spark plug back in it was a little harder to put in than the rest, last thing I want to do is f*k the threads on the head) so im thinking of changing the head b4 this happens just to be safe..

Anyways had a look at cylinder heads and they are the same as the 1.6 (brain wave) why not just drop a full 1.6 16v lump in instead..

Is possible to fit the 1.6 and use/swap the ecu from the 1.6 without any issues? would it run as it should or would I need to change the full loom? also the 1.4 and 1.6 use all the same parts IE coil, head, radiator, exhaust etc etc, would the gear box be the same as the 1.6 meaning I could use my gear box????

What I am saying is, can I drop in the 1.6 engine, plug in the 1.6 ecu! bobs ya uncle wet fannys fart an off I pop? I no I will not see much of a gain in power etc am not really bothered bothered about power its just summet different

Thanks

Last edited:
  clio 1.4 16v 02
A lot of effort for a car that will be worth less, more expensive to insure, and no real gains.

If its just a engine an ecu swap ad have it done in a day, insurance will go up a few pence, and there will be gains not much but like I said gains dont real bother me,, supose am just a bit bored an fancy a little project :)

Anyways had a look at cylinder heads and they are the same as the 1.6 (brain wave) why not just drop a full 1.6 16v lump in instead..

Is possible to fit the 1.6 and use/swap the ecu from the 1.6 without any issues? would it run as it should or would I need to change the full loom? also the 1.4 and 1.6 use all the same parts IE coil, head, radiator, exhaust etc etc, would the gear box be the same as the 1.6 meaning I could use my gear box????

What I am saying is, can I drop in the 1.6 engine, plug in the 1.6 ecu! bobs ya uncle wet fannys fart an off I pop? I no I will not see much of a gain in power etc am not really bothered bothered about power its just summet different

Helicoil th head if bugger the threads is cheaper.

Everything will bolt straight back up but the ECU won't just plug in unless you get a new or blanck coded one as they are locked the ECU/UCH you could get your 1.4 one remapped for the 1.6 though