ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Entry Level SLR. Is this a good deal?

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Hiya folks,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to cameras. I've always wanted a cheap SLR but they've always been well out of my price range. A girl at work has offered me a Pentax K110D (6.1 mp) with an additional lens for taking long shots. She offered me this all for £120. How does that sound?

All I want it for is various car shots and the odd walk I may go on.

Much appreciated guys. :cool:

I'd be looking at a Canon as well.
Entry level, an 1100D would be very good indeed.
MPB Cameras do new and used ones and have plenty of lightly used 1100Ds for under 200 quid at the moment.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Cheers folks, I'll get it bought then :cool:

I believe the additional lens alone goes for roughly £80 on ebay!

£120 for two lenses alone is good value and if you get into photography you can always upgrade to the mighty Pentax K5 or even switch systems should you feel it benefits you.

The majority on here have only heard of Nikon or Canon ;) But other capable cameras do exist!

Good buy that, K5 is a beast if you ever want a high level DSLR, plus you can use your existing lenses.

Sounds like a good but. Have to agree too many people in here think if it's not canon or Nikon its s**t, but I wouldn't swap my measly 5mp olympus e1 for anything, other than maybe a Leica.

Meg 300Cup
Sounds like a good but. Have to agree too many people in here think if it's not canon or Nikon its s**t, but I wouldn't swap my measly 5mp olympus e1 for anything, other than maybe a Leica.

It's not just the camera you're buying though is it, you're also buying into a family of lenses and accessories, I can't shoot anything other than Canon or Nikon simply because of the huge amount of lens options, You need to look into the future when you first start out, if its simply for snaps then yes Pentax makes some great lenses, but if you want to take it further, there are lenses that no one makes other than Canon or Nikon, in the SLR market anyway.

I'm afraid I disagree with what's been said about Pentax. You can use lenses dating back to way back when and also, the current range of lenses is huge ranging from a good collection of primes to telephotos etc. Also, Sigma and Tamron make lenses too. Pentax gets dismissed too quickly. The k5 is a better camera than its Nikon and canon counterpart TBF.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sorry, slightly off topic - Aren't modern Pentax SLR's a Nikon lens fitment anyway?

Mick

Meg 300Cup
I'm afraid I disagree with what's been said about Pentax. You can use lenses dating back to way back when and also, the current range of lenses is huge ranging from a good collection of primes to telephotos etc. Also, Sigma and Tamron make lenses too. Pentax gets dismissed too quickly. The k5 is a better camera than its Nikon and canon counterpart TBF.

Show me the pentax 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 85 f1.2/f1.8, 300 f2.8, 400 2.8, 500 f4, 600 f4, 800 f5.6 and 1200mm! And then on top of that there's a lot of cheaper lenses from Canon and Nikon.
Like I said, you're buying into a system, and Pentax is very limited with lens choices

Plus saying the k5 is better than the canon or Nikon alternative is just you're opinion, it depends what you need from the body, the focussing system is worse than the 60D and 7D and miles worse than the D300s, as is the auto exposure metering, auto white balance metering and Frames per second.

Show me the pentax 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 85 f1.2/f1.8, 300 f2.8, 400 2.8, 500 f4, 600 f4, 800 f5.6 and 1200mm! And then on top of that there's a lot of cheaper lenses from Canon and Nikon.
Like I said, you're buying into a system, and Pentax is very limited with lens choices

Plus saying the k5 is better than the canon or Nikon alternative is just you're opinion, it depends what you need from the body, the focussing system is worse than the 60D and 7D and miles worse than the D300s, as is the auto exposure metering, auto white balance metering and Frames per second.

Do you have an 800 5.6 and a 1200? For the most part people quote them as essentials before buying a 1000d and kit lens!

If I were a pro I wouldn't touch anything other than Nikon or Canon but I'm not!

Pentax have a range of great lenses, quality lenses too!

Meg 300Cup
Do you have an 800 5.6 and a 1200? For the most part people quote them as essentials before buying a 1000d and kit lens!

If I were a pro I wouldn't touch anything other than Nikon or Canon but I'm not!

Pentax have a range of great lenses, quality lenses too!

This is what I'm saying, some people have no option when they need specific lenses, I'm not hating on Pentax, I quite like some of their bodies. All I'm saying is look at the whole system not the camera body itself, I'm not just argueing for the sake of it lol.

I

I would agree on the 24-70, 70-200 and 85 prime, the others are extraordinary telephoto zooms, a 400 2.8 is nearly as big as a person lol! maybe for a sports togger but your average joe has a very nice selection of pentax primes for general, landscape use. Primes that would suit me down to the ground but sadly Pentax wasn't for me as their bodies lack features that I need.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You need to look into the future when you first start out
Disagree.
Especially in this instance. He's getting some kit for cheap.
Once he decides whether photography is for him i.e. next upgrade time, that is the time to "nail your colours to the mast" as it were.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Just picked the camera up. Must admit I'm very impressed! The quality of the photos is exceptional, the additional lens is pretty nifty too. I'm looking forward to contributing to the photo threads on here now. :cool:

The only gripe I have with it is that it takes batteries as opposed to charging the camera itself. The lady however has included some rechargable batteries and a charger so not too bad!

Just need to get an SD card now, £15 for 32GB on play.com. Bargain! :)

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search