ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Euro Road Trip (Nurburgring)

Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi all,

Thought id post a quick write up from the trip I got back from last week.

This is the third year running we have done a similar trip, looks like its becoming an annual event now too!

We took the following cars this year...

Clio 197 Cup
Clio 197 (mine)
Mini Cooper S Works
Saab 93 Aero (300bhp!)
Volvo S60R (340bhp)
Skoda Octavia VRS

Before anyone says anything - the graphics are done as a bit of fun...

The first day saw us head down from Leeds to Dover to catch the ferry over to Calais. From here we went down to Lille for our first over night stop. Was impressed at the size of this place, plenty of bars and restaurants to go at - I felt very rough after the first night out!

After recovering and getting some breakfast we headed on to Spa Francorchamps via the back roads, however these were not as good as we had experienced on the way from Amiens, unfortunately when we got there it was throwing it down and there were vintage bikes racing (not our thing!) so on from here we headed to Liege in Belgium for the second night stop. A similar format to the first night again :D

On the third day we headed over to the ring, first stop was to book in to the Ringhaus (very close to the Tourist entrance). After watching a few of the Porsches going round on a Porsche track day we headed for the nearest MacDonalds (typical English!) and found some excellent roads on the way there!

We went for the Monday evening session on the ring, as we have found it to be quiet giving you a good chance of some relatively clear runs round the track. The Saab that went with us (300bhp 2.8 v6) set fire to its brakes on the first lap. Apart from that it was all plain sailing - I was particularly impressed with the way the standard 197 went round the track in comparison to the Cupped 197 I took last year, I was expecting it to be a lot softer on track but it wasnt all that different. The brakes stood up well to the abuse, I now have Ferodo DS2500 pads and Birchdown changed the fluid for 5.1 recently - there was no brake fade!

The fourth day we spent heading back to Rotterdam for the overnight ferry, however we went to spectate at some of the viewing points for the industry testing - worth doing as you get to see all sorts of stuff going round at silly speeds!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playtoymotorsport/sets/72157620738036694/
3673400560_c514d30f3c_o.jpg

3672599895_a5662c7e2b_o.jpg

3672583119_05d41b0190_o.jpg

3673409974_09af714cc5_o.jpg

3672587565_47aeb1b9ce_o.jpg

Last edited:

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You sure do get through them clios!
Spot your old R27 around these parts quite often.

The trip sounds great. Does it cost a lot to do a trip like this?

Suzuki Swift Sport
You sure do get through them clios!
Spot your old R27 around these parts quite often.

The trip sounds great. Does it cost a lot to do a trip like this?

Really? NG57 N*P I think it was!

It didnt the first time we did it, but this time It was about 270 per person based on 2 sharing for ferry and hotels, plus 90 each in petrol, plus spending money and laps :(

Was good though!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Really? NG57 N*P I think it was!

It didnt the first time we did it, but this time It was about 270 per person based on 2 sharing for ferry and hotels, plus 90 each in petrol, plus spending money and laps :(

Was good though!
Aye yeah, around Rainworth. Driven by a lady now. First time i saw it i thought "I'm sure i recognise that plate!"

That's not too bad if you consider it to be like a holiday. Exchange rate is a killer now as well. Hopefully i'll get round to doing one of these someday.

Flame Red Delight
nice pics mate and actually really like the car with the stickers on it, was there any particular reason why all the same stickers were put on all the cars in the same places? (if that makes sense lol)

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
270 a person sounds pretty cheap,I so want to go to the ring :approve:,Dont know if my 200 will make it though lol.

Expert HDI & R53
Quality photos as usual, Looks a fun trip!

2nd picture is my favorite..Can honestly say i prefer it to the cup. Looks mint!

Suzuki Swift Sport
Yeah the star logo is Drivers Republic.

Want to do it again now already! Id spend more time at the Ring next time though if possible :)

Ay up Mate, long time no speak!
Didn't realise you were in a Clio these days!
I was at the Nurburgring a couple of weeks before you by the looks of it! Superb circuit isn't it!