ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exact copy of one SSD to another...

F82 M4
Alright folks,

Basically my C: drive is nearly full as it's only on a 60GB SSD. I'm thinking of buying a bigger SSD and moving the whole drive over to the new one. Let's just say that my Windows is not exactly "retail" so is there a way to make an exact copy of the whole drive over to the new one, plug it in and carry on as normal?

I've considered getting Windows 8.1 and starting fresh but from what I've read it's not worth the upgrade from 7, not unless someone says otherwise? My rig is 100% for gaming and I've heard that some games actually run better on 8.1 than 7.

I'm off work on Friday so I can spend all day reinstalling and tidying everything up.

Choices, choices!

F82 M4
This may seam like a silly question and I do appologise but with regards to the drive cloning does it remember absolutely everything? So for example I have other pograms installed to different drives so it remembers the other "paths", and all the registry etc will all stay the same? Appreciate the help by the way :)

340i
What make SSD do you have?

I've used the Samsung Magician software a number of times for copying / cloning Samsung SSD's to larger volume drives.

F82 M4
It's currently a OCZ Vertex 2 so one of the early ones. Going to order a Samsung 840 Evo in the next hour or two :)

If you are changing to a completely diff ssd, i personally wouldnt copy over, and just reinstall out of principle.

It also means you'll have less drivers running and a tidier setup. As for 8.1 or 7, that is a tough call. Last time I formatted I went with 7, but 8.1 wasn't out then. Around now, I'd probably go 8.1 for the sake of it.

F82 M4
That's what I'm thinking mate. Would be nice to start fresh and tidy everything up. Surely 8.1 will only get better and better?

F82 M4
Pulled the trigger on a Samsung 840 Evo 250gb (£104 from Amazon, bargain!), Windows 8.1 and a Corsair H100i :)

Hopefully I don't regret Windows 8.1. :cool:

340i
Pulled the trigger on a Samsung 840 Evo 250gb (£104 from Amazon, bargain!)

Make sure you install the included software and set the drive to the performance profile and enable RAPID mode. Makes a noticeable difference :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Windows 8.1 is great these days, if you know what you are doing you can pretty much configure it to be very similar to Windows 7, with the added layer of the start screen & apps.