ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

excess vapour

White APE
In recent weeks ive felt like there's been too much vapour coming from my exhaust when sitting in traffic and then pulling away. I know you get it in this cold weather but there just seems to be more then there should, im always looking at other cars around me and mines always got alot more wafting around the rear end.

Is this normall for 182's or do you think theres a slight fault somewhere. Leak in the exhaust maybe?

182FF
In recent weeks ive felt like there's been too much vapour coming from my exhaust when sitting in traffic and then pulling away. I know you get it in this cold weather but there just seems to be more then there should, im always looking at other cars around me and mines always got alot more wafting around the rear end.

Is this normall for 182's or do you think theres a slight fault somewhere. Leak in the exhaust maybe?

I was thinking the exact thing the other day.
I think it my be that both exhausts are right under the rear window so you see all of it where as go other cars the are off to one side and pointing away. I'd say if your still getting usual mpg then it's prob ok.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Pretty normal mate. I wouldn't worry about it unless its really thick white smoke.

106 GTI
When I had my standard exhaust removed both silencers were full of water, if you waved them about you could hear the ocean inside

White APE
Thanks guys, kinda put my mind at rest a bit. Its not thick white smoke, nor oily blue smoke. I was thinking it may be down to the exhaust system design. Its my first winter with the car so wasnt sure if it was normal.

Thanks chaps!

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
I get that in my 1.6, it all drifts pass me at the traffic lights on the left had side of the car :S

I had my exhaust changed a few weeks back and found the rear boxes had a fair bit of water in them too - possibly engineered into the design so the exhaust rots quicker giving your local dealer some more business??

When I had my standard exhaust removed both silencers were full of water, if you waved them about you could hear the ocean inside

106 GTI
I had my exhaust changed a few weeks back and found the rear boxes had a fair bit of water in them too - possibly engineered into the design so the exhaust rots quicker giving your local dealer some more business??

Seems that way, but yeah thats how your car always smokes as it would never evaporate all that

R56 JCW
LoL Leeshez as this aswel, but you cant see the back of his car when he sets off or puts his foot down, its like a cloud covering his car

^Yes his is terrible. Had to put my wipers on last week when I was following him and he booted it, thought it was raining!

When I'd hit 5500rpm on the standard exhaust water would splatter the rear-screen it was that bad. For other people I guess when it rots its an excuse to fit an aftermarket one.

Had an Orb fitted a week ago and that smokes too, just hope it doesn't rot!

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I had a burn in mine today the first proper time I opened it up in 2-3 Weeks.

My normal jorney is 3-4 miles into work in stop start diving.

Totay I was taking it to over 6k in 2 & 3rd coming off a few roundabouts.

At the 5.5k Kick the back of my car was engulfed in steam & my rear screen got wet.

This kept happening and it was not until continous booting on my way home it finally cleared and my rear pipes were HOT.

I cant believe the amount of water that must have been sitting in the system. I thought it was knackered only thing stopping me from thinking this was it felt so sweet.

RB 182 with CUP packs
I was going to post about this exact problem this morning.

My car has only covered just under 17,000 miles & yesterday we popped out & it was a fair old drive. I noticed as I pushed the car there was excess moisture coming from the tailpipes so much so that it like others had said it caused some moisture on the rear window.
It done it less on the return trip.

I take it from the posts above that the OEM exhaust system holds water then & it'll be blown out the harder you push the car?

It seems to release more vapour than normal on the over-run if I rev it whilst static too.

I checked my oil, coolant etc & all seems fine.

Does this sound like the OEM system is full of water & could need changing shortly or is there more serious things to worry about?

Sorry for the silly questions guys, just want to put my mind @ rest before Xmas is all.

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

Yozza'd BG
I just started a new thread before reading this with the exact same problem thinking it was the headgasket...hopefully not!!:eek:

The only other thing is that one of my exhausts feels hotter than the other on tickover and the hotter one obviously steams for longer. Why is this?

Also, would you see a difference between headgasket problems steam and the other steam from the water in the rear boxes of the exhaust system?