ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust differences between 172 and non Sport

2003 Clio 172
What exactly other than bore size differs the 172 catback from a 1.4 or 1.6 catback?

Reason I'm asking is a company is offering exhaust systems in stainless steel for 1.4 and 1.6 but no Sports. I asked them if they could make an exhaust with a slightly bigger bore for my 172, but unfortunately they couldn't tell if it would fit.

Are they same length? Will one fit to one other's catalyst converter?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
No. wont fit because the 1*2 manifolds are longer and the hanger mounts are placed differently. Not impossible if you are willing to cut&weld but very annoying

2003 Clio 172
No. wont fit because the 1*2 manifolds are longer and the hanger mounts are placed differently. Not impossible if you are willing to cut&weld but very annoying

Are you sure about the hanger mounts?
I've bought both exhaust hangers through the local auto store using a Clio 1.6 plate as no parts would show up for the 2.0. The parts turned out to be identical and I believe even the part numbers are the same.

I'm only interested in a catback so can't see what manifold length has to do with it? Surely the cat section would be longer to compensate for the shorter manifold on a non sport, no?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I was pretty sure the exhaust mounts are located in differnent places. The manifold length will effect the exhaust build no matter what the system does around the cat. If I'm reading correctly, you're trying to put a 1.6/1.4 exhaust on a 172? If that's the case you'd get a longer cat section, which you will need to cut and weld. Probably easier with a flexi section.

2003 Clio 172
I was pretty sure the exhaust mounts are located in differnent places. The manifold length will effect the exhaust build no matter what the system does around the cat. If I'm reading correctly, you're trying to put a 1.6/1.4 exhaust on a 172? If that's the case you'd get a longer cat section, which you will need to cut and weld. Probably easier with a flexi section.

Cat will be kept as is.
What I'm asking really is whether the centre pipe with silencer and back box for a 1.4/1.6 are the same length and look somewhat the same other than bore size as their 172 counterparts.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Pretty sure the length from centre pipe to back box is different also (by a little bit at least. The bore will have to be adapted so that's either a flexi section or other similar section. You'll have to add/take this length to/from the new exhaust.