ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust nightmare

Arctic 182
Evening all

Bought my new 182 on Saturday and have had a massive smile on my face since then… well until tonight.

The car is fitted with a Milltek straight through exhaust system, which looks and sounded awesome. It was perfectly fitted when I picked it up and there was no way either me or the previous owner could have known this was about to happen… however the weld on the left backbox has now blown, and quite dramatically too - see pics.

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

Is this salvageable? It looks as though it may have been welded up before and failed again. If not does anyone know if Milltek supply just the backbox set up? (the centre straight through section is fine). Also can anyone recommend somewhere in the north west (manchester area preferably) or around northamptonshire (near my dad's in Rushden) who can fit a Milltek system well if I was going to get a new one?

The tailpipe's still pretty solidly supported, so it's ok driving for now - it's just loud as fk!

Cheers, Chris

S4 Avant
Cracking welds on a miltek?!

...and yes they do supply the back boxes seperately.

Yozzasport also do a good exhaust that you may consider instead.

Arctic 182
Will a Yozza back box fit on to the Milltek centre pipe does anyone know?

Think I prefer the sound of the Milltek (when it hasn't got a huge hole in it!), but if a yozza would fit then it would have to be a consideration

S4 Avant
Nope, completely different exhaust. You'll struggle to mix and match any cat back systems.

Replacement back box section, or new exhaust.

Arctic 182
Thanks Dave

Anyone know if this has got any hope of passing an MOT with some carefully place gun gum? Can you request which tailpipe they take the reading from?

RS RIP
it looks like a kindergarden-toddler has been given a welding tool in that pic! ! ! !
that's someone who has NEVER done a weld in their life before

Last edited:
B

BoRo182BoYo

orite im just inbetween choosing for my 182 a milltek or yozza any suggestions

Arctic 182
Right, it's gun-gummed up now -*used a whole tin of the stuff! Fingers crossed it'll hold for a little while, if only to stop me going deaf until I find a replacement system!

Sprint 172
There is a Milltek for sale on pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1741193.htm

Also, as you mentioned Northamptonshire, BTB will have a brand new batch of exhausts for the 182 available next week. Probably fit them for free if you ask them nicely. Before you ask, I don't know the price yet - likely to be their keenest pricing yet - although will still be a more than the Millteks of this world!

Dodgy one
Mines been good for two years now, touch wood itl do another 2 years, I think the main thing is, is to keep all the mounts in good order and not put any stress on the exhaust and they are fine.

Arctic 182
Quick update on this*- supplied the part/batch number to Milltek and they're going to replace it FOC. Guess it was a part of their bad batch of exhausts with dodgy welds!

Fantastic customer service from Milltek IMO :)

Arctic 182
Don't think there are issues with Milltek with the exception of this bad batch. And they seem happy enough to replace if you do have a problem –*definitely one of the best looking and sounding systems available for the 182 I reckon

Thanks for the listing link - had my eye on that one, if it goes for £100 it'd be a bargain for someone!

Arctic 182
Yeah free replacement. I think the warranty does only apply to the first owner... however in this case it was a part of the notorious dodgy batch so they were happy to replace, didn't even have to ask, just enquired as to how much a new one was and explained what had happened