ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R engine build article

DSC00049.jpg

BenR said:
The rebuild service totally depends on the specification your going for, but that stock ish build cost circa £4k including new engine, all the modifications highlighted, all new genuine renault parts, new high flow low cavitation oil pump, ARP rod bolts, cams, headwork, machining and circa 35 hours labour, off the top of my head.
Would that include the cams head work etc and fitment of the engine to car and mapping?
Would using a used engine help in any way I think Nick Hill was on saying rebuilt used engines make more power than new rebuilt ones as they've been worn in a bit?

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
looks really good, in some detail too! Out of interest how do you re time an engine if your putting fresh cams etc in? Always wondered :D

If you read it i did say "cams, headwork etc" lol.

Yes, used engines go through an aging process where they run through several heat cycles and you can run a much more stable block, being 'worn' in has little to do with it as we dont want anything 'worn'. The engine used was 'new' in the effect that it was a cup racer engine that has minimal miles on it.

ajketley said:
looks really good, in some detail too! Out of interest how do you re time an engine if your putting fresh cams etc in? Always wondered :D

Depends on the engine and spec.

Older engines like the F7 require timing via setting relative valve positions at set crank positions.

The F4 requires cam setting tools in near stock trims and the cams are ground in to work with the installation tools that lock the camshafts for lift @ tdc method. This is because the bearings are int he cam cover and you cannot get a DTI onto the retainer to measure lift.

For high spec engines where you junk the vvt you have to drill holes in the cover to get a DTI on the retainer to measure lift accurately.

FredYozzasport said:
ah, rossy's new engine, the truth appears, i know the guys that look after the original engines

Not rossy's new engine.

His will be a fait bit more extreem, but we have to get his one up and running again.

Look at you lol, who do you think i bought the engine off!

Shhh........keep the source schtung.

BenR said:
If you read it i did say "cams, headwork etc" lol.

Yes, used engines go through an aging process where they run through several heat cycles and you can run a much more stable block, being 'worn' in has little to do with it as we dont want anything 'worn'. The engine used was 'new' in the effect that it was a cup racer engine that has minimal miles on it.
Ooops didn't spot that.

I take its not a Renault sport car used in the series as I thought they had sealed engines Is this a Britcar?