ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT on worn front discs

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Just taken my 04 1.2 clio for an MOT and came back saying the front dics(s) were excessively worn
They gave me a quote of £189 to replace both front discs/pads inc labour etc
Seems like a lot, what are you're thoughts?
Heard him on the phone and it sounded like the parts guy said it was £100+vat for the parts so that leaves £75 labour!
Can't see it taking that long to do really, and the parts seem pretty expensive

What do you guys think? And how hard are they to change yourself!

Cheers

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Change them yourself, simple as anything really to do! Parts wont cost £100 at a local motor factors anyway.

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Just phoned a local motorfactors, he said they have:
Discs : £12.90 each
Pads : £9.14 each all plus vat
So thats £40ish altogether

Does that sound too cheap? If that sounds kosher I'll pop over and get those and fit them myself

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
That sounds alright. Do it yourself mate, piece of piss

Cool, sounds promising

There's probably a guide in the guides section on here is there? Membership ran out the other week - will pay for it again if there is one!

Otherwise, what sort of tools would I need? I'm not an idiot, but haven't changed discs before

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Just the basics, socket set,jack, 18mm spanner, powerbar to get the wheels off, and a set of torx keys for the stupid little disk retaining bolts.

Haynes manual will talk you through it. axle stands also a good idea

Haynes won't explain what to do if you get stuck, but just fire a thread up on here if you do - should get plenty of real-time advice for something like a disc/pad change

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
I've got axle stands and basic tools, not sure about the g-clamp
Don't really fancy being halfway through doing it, and needing something else as there's noone else here/no other cars!

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Had a quick look earlier, looks like it should be fine - looks pretty rusty there but I think/hope I know what I'm doing!
Had a look through the guide in the guides section although that includes painting etc too but it shoudn't be too different

PH1 Clio 172
Seem's alot that tbh.. but then again i just paid out £209 for all around discs + pads, fitted them myself though so saved on the labour costs =D simple enough job tbh!

200 FF Storm Grey
Are you not going to get charged for a second mot though if you take the car out then take it back again? Where as with them they'll pass it once they've put the discs on?

Bumder With A Buffer
Are you not going to get charged for a second mot though if you take the car out then take it back again? Where as with them they'll pass it once they've put the discs on?

No providing you take it back to the MOT station that did it within 7 days they cant charge again..or so it says on the sheet somewhere.

Was quoted 140 at my local, buying and fitting them yourself (or getting a kind lad called Ben off here to fit them for me ;)) is the best bet.

330i. E30 Touring.
Easy job.

If you get any problems, whack a thread up and it'll be easy.

Oh, and smear some copper grease on the back of the pads, and a tiny bit where the pads run against the caliper to stop 'em squeeking..

ITB'd MK1
No providing you take it back to the MOT station that did it within 7 days they cant charge again..or so it says on the sheet somewhere.

some may charge a small retest fee, some will do it free inside 24 hours, it varies. most do free within 7 days, and i wouldn't go anywhere that didn't

Bumder With A Buffer
some may charge a small retest fee, some will do it free inside 24 hours, it varies. most do free within 7 days, and i wouldn't go anywhere that didn't

Thats what I thought..it usually says on the MOT sheet I believe (well it did on mine anyway)