ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fake 172... why pretend...

I had to pop down to my reno garage yesterday, and in front of me was a renaultsport clio 172.

Or so the driver liked to think. He had stick a "sport" badge under his reno badge. Thing is, it didnt even look like a proper sport" badge. Wrong font, size etc, everything wrong,

best bit was, he turned into the reno garage as well.

Took great pleasure in pulling into the parking bay opposite, so he could see what a real renaultsport badge looked like.

Caught a glance at his face, and he looked pretty embarrased to say the least.

perhaps he thought his magic sport badge would give him another 100bhp or something. Ho Hum,

faceman

Renaultsport Clio 197

Ive got a "Sports" badge on my car got it from a Laguna sport and the amount of folk that thinks its a 172 is unbelievable and should see there faces when i tell them its only a 1.2 16v and even one thought it was a V6?

some people just aint got a clue

ok when you badge up a clio(or any other model) to a sportier model it looks good to those that dont know but to those who do you just get laughed at. sorry its a fact

dont know why people insist on doing it

wongy

GR7

Shiny red R32

This is probably the reason why folk in Novas, Saxos and Fiestas think they have thrashed 172s, because of pretenders who stick a sport badge on their cars!

Maybe those so-called Nova drivers have beaten a 172, on a twisty road!
Cos Ive kept up with a 206 GTi and mines a 1.4 16v dynamique!

but anyways, I think its fair dos to stick the SPORT badge onto the 1.2 or 1.4 16v Clios, since they are rather sporty so I dont see a problem! it looks rather cool!!!
Ive ordered a set for mine and cant wait to stick it on!!!

And on the question of laughing, ive learnt that 172 boys are just smug gits!!!

coz maybe if your car deserved a sport badge reno would of put one on. reno did not coz your car aint sporty

nuff said

rather be a smug git than a complete t**t

wongy

My 94 RT gonna stay a badged RT!!!
only so that i can be the smug git when close to 180bhp comes rolling past you!!!

oh, i own a 172 too so dont start on me!!"align=absmiddle>

Lionel Richie

Sorry 172 boys and girls, but the Dynamic is the sport model (ok i admit it aint quick, but it handles well and brakes are brilliant)

320d M Sport

Correct me if Im wrong but Ive also seen a Clio with a different style Sport logo, thought it came with the car...cos they do 1.4 sport and all that dont they? Unless he stuck it on as well???

Paddy

I had a 1.2 Clio ages ago. I did loads of stuff to it (and secretly wanted it to be a 16v). I never stuck any badges on the car. In fact, the best thing to do is take them off. Everybody knows that all the fast cars never have bages - which is why Ive blacked the "16v" on the side of my roastin 16v now too

There were "Sport" trim levels with the old, new Clio (confusing eh?!). But they were only badged "Sport" on the side, in an itallic font. Only the 172 and V6 have ever had the proper "Sport" under the Renault badge.

Ford Fiesta

some ppl on here love to remove badges others love to put em on.
SO WHAT!!!!!!? each to their own!!!

Well done Fred!!

These 172 boys obviously think that they are above everyone else and that its only their model that deserves the sport badge!

The 1.4 Dynamique can also be classed as a sporty car!
For one, it is a 16v, for two the interior is very sporty, and for three in terms of looks, theres not much difference with the 172! To be honest, the look of all clios are sporty!!!
Point made!!

I dont see anything wrong with putting on a sport badge, its not like Im putting a v6 badge or trying to badge it up as a higher spec model car- ie. sticking GTi on a 1.4 or something!
I just want people to know that my car is sporty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im just thinking, when I get a v6, will i be as smug as the 172 boys on here??

Yeah, each to their own and so on. Theres no problem adding badges if you so wish.

I think that when youve got the real thing that you tend to look down on people a bit - especially when theyre trying to look like you. But I also think that when you havent got the real thing then you should cut some respect too. Its Karma man!

Like I say, I had an old 1.2 for ages - it sat on massive wheels with nowt suspension and looked mean. I personally took the badges off, becuase I reckon that people can tell if youre car is sporty in other ways than simply a badge. I mean, I dont wear a badge to work saying that I have a...errr...you get the message!!

My line if I had a 1.2/1.4 Clio - and they do look very nice, especially the Dynamiques - would be this:

Keep it spotless
Take of the 1.2/1.4 badges
Slam it!
Add some fat wheels
Colour-code anything that isnt already

That way, youll have a mean-looking and handling motor that will have people asking "whats that" - rather than people saying "oh theres a 1.2 with a badge on it". Easy peasy

Yeah, each to their own and so on. Theres no problem adding badges if you so wish.

I think that when youve got the real thing that you tend to look down on people a bit - especially when theyre trying to look like you. But I also think that when you havent got the real thing then you should cut some respect too. Its Karma man!

Like I say, I had an old 1.2 for ages - it sat on massive wheels with nowt suspension and looked mean. I personally took the badges off, becuase I reckon that people can tell if youre car is sporty in other ways than simply a badge. I mean, I dont wear a badge to work saying that I have a...errr...you get the message!!

My line if I had a 1.2/1.4 Clio - and they do look very nice, especially the Dynamiques - would be this:

Keep it spotless
Take of the 1.2/1.4 badges
Slam it!
Add some fat wheels
Colour-code anything that isnt already

That way, youll have a mean-looking and handling motor that will have people asking "whats that" - rather than people saying "oh theres a 1.2 with a badge on it". Easy peasy

hmmm, I agree with the "Badging it up as something its not" isnt a good idea. But what does a car need to be "Sporty"?

Sporty Looks? Quick?

Ive got a 1.2, going to make it look "Sporty", so would it be wrong for me to put a "Sport" badge on it?

I have thought about putting a "Sport" badge on the back of my car, but decided against it cus I quite like just the "Renault" and the "Clio" (oh, and the Cliosport.net sticker in the back window )

And a final thing to get everyone going (Hehe): Would it be wrong for a 172 to have 1.2 badges on it?

Daz

Well...I have some 1.2 badges from my old car...and I was thinking...

But to be honest I dont think anybody would notice them as they wouldnt have time to look at the badges!!

To be honest, it is quite cheesy to do it.. I must admit, i did it on my first car (changed the engine size badge on the back), but when you move up and on to the next car, youll realise how sad it is.. It also degrades the image of the more superior cars and indeed brand of the car.. For eg, on the Clios that we have here, the 172 has a lot of minor differences such as colour coded features, different interior features etc. Someone who has a completely different brand of car may see the 1.2 with the 172 sport badge and think "f\/ck in ell, the spec on them 172 things are sh*te, youd think theyed have bla bla bla"... Get the point? You dont (not very often anyway) get Honda 1.4 owners putting Type-R badges on.
By all means do them up, and make them look great, but i wouldnt upgrade the badge cos when you get dusted by a Nova GTE or something, the Nova boys will be thinking that the 172s and indeed Renault are sh*te..

I dont own a Clio or a renault by the way,, just putting across another opinion.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Why dont the 172 owners put some fake 1.2 badges on their cars. When passing other cars like Willys, 206 GTis, Pugs etc they will be posting messages saying that they have been whooped by a 1.2 Clio!

Renaultsport Clio 197

Just to stir it up a bit more, even the guy at RENAULT thought it was a 172 i think its because i have the renault clio sports kit onit?

GR7

Shiny red R32

He would have changed his mind had he looked at the upholstery! Bet you dont have the leather and alcantara seats with the Renaultsport logo stitched on them!

Renaultsport Clio 197

Nope, would show everyone a photo but my digital camera is broken and havnt got a scanner so as soon as its fixed will get a photo

Why does everyone relate "Sport" to 172s anyway?
There are more cars in the "sport" range - doesnt make them non-sport cus they aint 2.0

Yeh! I agree with Daz!

What does a car have to have to have to be defined as "Sporty"!?

Ive already mentioned the reasons why the 1.4 can be considered sporty!

There is definetly not much between the 172 and 1.4 in terms of looks,
My Black 1.4 has been fully colour-coded, bump-strips and side mouldings, and door handles!! So it would be hard to set it apart from the 172!!
Especially when I get the sport badge on it LOL!!!

Just face it 172 boys, you lot are smug and think you are too good and that no-one else deserves the badge!!! thats just a load of boll0cks!
I would never badge my car up to make it look faster!
I just want the sport badge on my car as I believe my car is a rather sporty car, albeit being a 1.4!!!!!!!!!!!

The Diesal Drivers must be really pleased the 172 wanted to be part of their "Sport" Group

*runs for cover*

On the same note, Id like to know what Renault class as Sport.

It must be the way it looks?

I dont know of many other manufacturers who have a Diesal car in their sport range... hehe.

Everyone should all get along with each other on here.. nice and friendly chat

Daz.

(I know Im posting 3 times in a row, but I cant help myself! HEHE)

The 172 and V6 are part of the "RenaultSport" Family... the "proper" sports of the Clios...

The others named above (e.g. 1.2 16v Dynamique) are part of the "Sport" Family.

RenaultSport is the proper sporty, quick, nice styling, whole package. The "Sport" is the nice styling including other extras, but not as higher spec as the "RenaultSport" and of course with a small engine.

Now, does this clear it up for everyone?

Ive seen a few of the "Sport" Clios and they dont include the "SPORT" badge seen under the "RENAULT" on the 172/V6... Does this mean that the "SPORT" badge is intended to mean "RenaultSport" and not "Sport"?

So many questions, such a simple topic

Daz.

Well I have to admit, badges can be the finishing touch to a car!

But I think its cheesy when a smaller engined car badges itself up to be a bigger engined one!
For example, Ive seen some 8v Corsas using the VTS 16v badge! This I think is stoopid, but if the car is a 16v, I dont see nothing wrong with this!!
So to stick the sport badge on the car is fine, since there is no "real" definition of sport or whats sporty!!!

Just last week I saw a Pug 106GTi and Pug 206GTi parked next to each other! obviously mates!!!
They had de-badged the "PEUGEOT" and instead had the word "PUG" and used the Clio "SPORT" badge next to it to spell PUG SPORT!!!
I thought this looked kinda cool!!!!!!!!!!!