ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO: ALL those who had/have the 4k rattle

Hi All,

My 172 got its 24k service today, nice and cheap at £124 (Lookers Renault in Altrincham). I demod the horrible noise to one of the service reps in the morning, before handing it over, and he agreed he heard it (lol) and to get it checked out. I told him that it was a known problem (apparently) and that it was more than likely the midsection of the exhaust.

They ring me half way through the day saying yes indeed the noise is caused by the midsection of the exhaust, but as far as they know, they have never heard of this problem, and that they dont know if it is covered by warranty. The service manager is going to be calling Renault tomorrow (maybe!) to check if it is a warranty issue (if Renault will pay their asses to do the work). He was telling me Renault are changing what is and isnt covered v soon, and so this might be very important to sort soon..

So please ALL you guys/girls, post a reply here:

1) If you have / had the problem (resonance / rattle @ around 4000 revs)

2) How you got it fixed, did your dealer sort it under warranty etc?

3) Some names of dealers who recognised the fault and fixed it under warranty..

This thread can then be printed off for future dealer reference to help us all out, and prevent any confusion and nonsense.

Look forward to your co-operation,

Cheers all, Si.

320d M Sport

balls!!!!!!!!!!!!

i took mine there and they fixed it!! mines also Mk2 172, reg is P44DYS, tell them that!

1) had same problem

2) was under warranty.

its coming back less than 1 yr on though, useless they are. tell them its the guy from carole nash and theyll remember !!!!

ive had the 4k buzz and it was sorted under warranty by my local dealer (fish bros) i had about 5,000 miles on the clock when they replaced it. the car is now a year old and ive just had my 12k service done and it seems to still be ok

320d M Sport

stjb, i had mine fixed AT ALTY RENO! Cant believe theyre trying to blag u like that, actually.....i can. I feel like going in with u to see what they gotta say about mine coming back (like yours will!)

S2000

Glenvarigill in Dunfermline seemed to know what to expect when they changed my mid-section. They hardly looked at it, the guy spent all of 2 mins examining the exhaust, before whipping out a new mid-section.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Ive had it!!!!

First they refused to fix it withoug me paying 50% of the cost (my car was past its first year of warranty) so I made a bid fuss to renault. Even showed them the article form EVO about their long termer that had the same problem.

So after lots of complaining/arguing they aggreed to replace the exhaust at no cost to me!

This is important now in helping people, everyone should mention who their dealer is and what they did / didnt do...

Ill be sending all this to Lookers / Head Office in the morning, so lots more home truths guys!

Si.

Ad

MK2 FRS

I have got it but the centre sections has factured and wrecked the Cat. There are no cetres sections in the coutry at the mo so it will be a 4week wait!!!

Golf 1.4 TSI

MINE IS GOING IN ON TUESDAY, SO HOPEFULLY NO PROBLEMS, THEY ARE PAYING 80% AT THE MOMMENT, HAD THE CAR FOR LESS THAN 6 MONTHS AND HARDLY DRIVE IT. GONNA PUSH FOR THEM FOR FULL 100%. BOUGHT IT SECOND HAND AND FOUND OUT IT WAS AN IMPORT, STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THAT TOO. NORTHAMPTON CAMDEN ARE THE WORST DEALERS EVER:(

I had this on my Mk1 172 Year 2000 turned out it was the midsection but my car is just over 3 years old so i had to pay for it.

Got a wheel bearing done at the same time (this IS a common problem) cost me near on £500, what a supprise they could not fit the mid-section cause there was a problem with the back box so this needed replacing to!!!

1 - Had the problem

2- They fixed it under warrenty7 but due to mileage (15,000) cost me £85

3- Dealer was in Edinburgh

I had this problem.

They replaced it no questions asked the milage was 12K and the car about 9 months old.

CO-OP motor group Derby.

RB5 & 172

i had the centre section on mine go just after i bought it second hand. took it to reno who identified the problem. they would pay towards it but not cover the whole cost as it was over 1yr old. they told me that the reno warranty only lasts 1yr on the zorst? in the end i replaced it with a magnex as i did not want the same problem in another 1yr and keep paying for reno zorsts that have manufacturer problems.

got my wheel bearing and damper done on warranty though.

reno dealer was mill lane in aldershot.

Lookers never called Friday (of course..?)

Ill chase up Monday and post a reply. Im expecting a warranty replacement, due to all the bullsh*t Ive had withmy car anyways..

Surely if this is happening on so many clios then it is a manufacturing fault.. so should be easily "haggle able"

Si.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Agree, you shouldnt have to pay!! My centre section and Cat has arrived at the dealer on Fri. Being fitted on Tue. Makes a change for renault to beat the eta. Gotta metion that Dutton James of St Helens have really kept the waiting to a minimum an kept me well informed.