ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Ph.1 Owners with Dual Optics and HID's Fitted - Important.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
IF YOU ARE USING DUAL OPTICS WITH HIDs, YOU MAY BE BLINDING OTHER ROAD USERS.

Dual Optics, as standard, deflect part of the headlight beam upwards towards signs. With HIDs this deflected part of the beam (created by a cutout in the headlight shutter) will blind other road users.

Not too hard to fix though. I was expecting to have to fabricate a new headlight shutter without the cutout, however after looking this evening, I found out that Renault (or rather Hella) have fitted dual optics with a 'HID safe' mode, in which a moveable plate behind the shutter covers the cutout, preventing blinding.

Here's how to make your Dual Optics safe for use with HIDs:

1. Remove the headlight bulb. You'll probably need to look down the opening it sits in to verify the shutter position. (You can do this with a small mirror, or if you're doing the conversion you can set them up before fitting them to the car). In this guide I'll be doing it with the headlight off of the car like so:
DSCF2135.jpg

2. Remove the rubber cover around the dipped beam holder. It just pulls off.
DSCF2136.jpg

In the red circle is the lever we're interested in. It moves left-right, and controls the shutter. Slide it left to move the shutter into HID mode. Verify the shutter has moved correctly by looking through the bulb holder at the shutter:
shuttercomparison.jpg

Obviously you want to have it set up as on the right.

Then slide the cover back on, reinsert the bulbs and you should now be able to test the headlights. The beam's not totally level here as the unit's sat on the floor and the light is being provided by my phone hence the change of brightness.
[ATTACH=full]1023444[/ATTACH]

Hope this helped.

Attachments

• beamcomparison.jpg
    beamcomparison.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
  Changes to often
my standard xenons look like the halogen lol, i though that switch was for if you went overseas and drove on the right

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ph.2 headlights are HID safe anyway, as the cutout is permanently in the position shown in the right of the picture above.

I'll check at the SW CS meet tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks for this McGherkin! I'd seen your post previously about having to fab up a brass sheet, i've noticed the light from the HIDs on mine gets flicked up right up in the air - i'll have to move the lever.

Potentially saving lives here ;)

Nice to see someone bothering with stuff like this, absolutely detest retards who have blinding HID's, there's a couple round here with bright blue lights in reflector lamps :dead:

​Good find!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
wrong a HID can have the same pattern as a halogen bulb. it wont blind other road users as the kick up is on the nearside of the road same as a halogen bulb. if you have removed your headlamps then you need to get the aim rechecked.
only HID conversions using the h4 bulbs will need converting.

the bit you moved is so the headlamps can be made to be used abroad.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst the kick up is to the near side, when cornering and when there is a vehicle in front of you, there is a risk posed that the kick up will allow the other vehicle to be exposed to the full beam strength. Which is dangerous. As for checking the aim, I can do that myself, but for the record it's worth rechecking the aim after doing the above. HID conversions using the H4 bulbs in the reflector headlamp unit are completely forbidden by ECE Regulation 98.

Like I said, I'll confirm which beam pattern is used on 1*2 HIDs tonight.

This actually has nothing to do with being "HID Safe". As mentioned, its the adjuster for when you are driving abroad meaning the kick up would be in to oncoming traffic instead of the side of the road.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Im a tester that is just making sure its for when you go abroad. espace has the same set up on there xenons.
Its the reflector inside that can't deal with the light power.
It is a good idea though.