ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why you shouldn't use a HID bulb in a reflective housing

Below I have drawn a diagram trying to explain why using a HID bulb in standard reflective housings can be dangerous to other road users.

HID.png

The "un-usable" beam is also know as light bleed. All reflective headlights have light bleed, a certain amount of light bleed is acceptable. Although they are deigned to point as much light down towards the ground as a "usable beam" to minimize light bleed.
However, a HID (high intensity discharge) bulb emits a much brighter light than a halogen bulb. So, when using a HID bulb in reflective headlights the light bleed becomes much brighter. This makes any car heading towards you unable to see due to the intensity of light hitting them.

"I will just adjust my headlights and fit them" - Although it is possible to adjust your headlights, they will always bleed a dangerous intensity of light and will always dazzle others.

I know that some reflective headlights are better designed than others, but Clio reflective headlights are not suitable for HID bulbs. Light bleed will vary across the thousands of headlights out there.

The only reason iv'e wrote this up, is because I find myself increasingly being blinded by cars and their owners think they have good lights.
It's dangerous! So fit projectors or decent brand halogen bulbs because you get what you pay for.

Cory.