ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Feels like I have ABS, but I don`t!

ClioSport 172 Cup
On/off feeling through the pedal when i brake, it looks like i'm purposely pressing the brake pedal on and off from a pedestrians point of view because the car moves slightly. My front discs and pads haven`t been on for long, brembos and they have lots of meat on them. My rear discs look ok apart from O/S has rust on the top half of the disc, they always seems to rust up at the back. Really annoyed because I`ve got my MOT end of this week. Might it fail the MOT ? Is it one of my rear pads shot?? The car brakes pretty sharpish apart from this annoying feeling through brake pedal.

Samuel

"Navy" N17 TWO
Is it like the pedal is vibrating and you get a "farting" noise from it?

Could be ABS rings or sensors mate

I very much doubt that you have warped a disc.

Chances are, you have glazed your pads. How long have you had the problem? Did you notice it after giving the car some stick?

You say that the front brakes haven't been on for long, what pads did you buy?

Because it is a lot harder than people think. Braking late into a roudabout on a rainy isn't going to warp his discs.

There is a far greater chance that his pissy cheap Mintex pads have taken offence to a quick thrash, and have glazed.

ClioSport 172 Cup
can i unglaze them???? if i just need to change pads im fine with that. have i chosen the wrong pads for my brembo discs??

Never thought of that Danny.

Sammy, if it is glazed pads, they will sort themselves out over a week or so. If they don't, it would be a good indication that it's what Danny said.

Will, lol, why would I need to gaurantee it? From my past experience, Colin McRea would struggle to warp the discs on a Clio. You must have seen the picture of the LY 182 with the glowing discs, (it's on the forum header thingy) those discs weren't warped...

ClioSport 172 Cup
Is there a check I can do for this whilst the car is stationary to confirm?? I've had the CV boots replaced before, but a CV joint rattling sounds expensive...

ClioSport 172 Cup
I just called a local garage out of interest and the guy on the phone and he said the pulsing through my pedal sounds like warped discs to him and he reckons more than likely the new front brembo's that I have fitted because I probably heavy braked before the pads had bedded properly.... If I do have to replace the front discs do I have to replace the pads too?? even though they still have plenty of material on them?? Samuel

I had very similar symptoms - Turns out the front discs were badly corroded on the inside. I got the discs skimmed plus some new pads and it sorted it right out.

I've read similar to the above - It's bastardly difficult to warp your discs. I'd be checking for corrosion.

SQ5
Cv joint means new driveshaft, you can jack car up and feel if the inner or outer click when moved rather than free moving.

182cup & 172 racecar
I have only ever come warped disc's once,and that was on Porkies Clio after we had thrashed it to within a mm of it's life,takes some doing believe me.

The only way you'll start to warp discs on the road is super heavy braking, then sitting on the brakes whilst somehow rapidly cooling the disc not touching the pads.

That or buying discs made from monkey metal.

ClioSport 172 Cup
I can see alot of surface rust on the rear O/S disc, top half is pretty much rust... Could it be that disc?? I haven`t had chance to look properly yet because by the time I get home from work its bloody dark and can`t do anything, hate winter time..will have to wait until the weekend to look.

That could mean you are just ready for new pads and/or discs on the rear. I doubt you would feel it through the pedal. I could be wrong though.

ClioSport 172 Cup
I had a look at OS front last night. Jacked car up and turned the wheel slowly, it turns smoothly then all of a sudden slight resistance and you can hear something rubbing on the disc, then it continue to turn smooth...If you keep turning the wheel you get this all the time, smooth turn then resistance at a certain point, then smooth again.