ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally ordered new brakes from k-tech

Cayman S Edition 1
Went for their new bundled offer of Brembo HC's, DS Performance Pads and braided lines.

Will hopefully make a big difference over the existing standard setup!

Clio 182
Lucky you :)

Make sure you bleed the old fluid through front and rear with some new stuff (nothing fancy, just decent)

I did it recently to my 182 and it was the simplest and the best thing i've done to car since I've had it. So much better, didn't realise how crap the brakes had got! :)

rSi

Silver 182
nice, post final cost & how they perform please. Ill monitor this thread as I need to do the same in the next few months before my MOT is due.

TA

Si.

Cayman S Edition 1
nice, post final cost & how they perform please. Ill monitor this thread as I need to do the same in the next few months before my MOT is due.

TA

Si.

Won't cost much more except for new fluid as my mate next door is a mechanic for McLaren and he's also doing the 12,000 service for me.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Just bled my brakes for the first time, going to test them on route to work tomorrow!

Cayman S Edition 1
If all goes to plan, hoping to get it done next weekend sometime. Although depends on weather and if I'm about or not (moving my mum in to a care home)

polo
Went for their new bundled offer of Brembo HC's, DS Performance Pads and braided lines.

is this a standard package from ktech? just looked on their page and cant see it.

Audi TT
Great. I ordered Brembo HC front discs, DS Performance pads, KTR braided lines and their standard rear discs within the last month and came to £405 before discount and credit note! And the braided lines were wrong when they turned up :(

G

Cayman S Edition 1
My mate fitted the new discs, pads and braided lines this morning. We also flushed out most of the old fluid and replaced with new Castrol Dot4 (from Opie Oils).

Brakes are already much more responsive, even from lightly pressing the pedal. Obviously there's some running in to be done, but I'm really glad with the outcome.

Audi TT
Are you finding the DS performance pads squeal a lot? Also have you found that they sit quite tight and the wheels don't spin very freely?

G

Renault Clio 182FF + Cup
Considering this same setup. I would be interested to know how there fair after a few weeks use.

200 Gordini
Might go for these if the ds2500 group buy doesnt take off very soon.

As for the squealing i think you need to take a bit of the pad

Cayman S Edition 1
Are you finding the DS performance pads squeal a lot? Also have you found that they sit quite tight and the wheels don't spin very freely?

G

Hi mate

No squealing what so ever. We coated the edges of the pads and back in a thin layer of copper grease. We also removed the pad shims as the new pads wouldn't fit with them in.

parts wise, its in all an excellent deal from K-tec. Oh and the braided lines are pant wettingly nice.

I'm just lucky my mate next door is a McLaren mechanic;)

C

Cupster

I would recommend cleaning and re-greasing all your caliper sliders at the same time. Will make a big difference with that setup!

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I've just had sorted a fairly major issue with my front discs which might help some people regarding tight fitting pads and squeal:

(not a set from K-tec I might add, standard discs/pads from local motorfactors)

Fitted new Discs and Pads end of november.......discs went on fine however the pads (even being the correct one) took a lot of effort getting them into the calipers (which I even tried wire brushing to remove build up of old dust). After fitting them took them on a short journey (gingerly) to find they were sitting on the disc even after letting off the stop pedal.......also only half the disc was being contacted by the pad and they were getting very warm.

After a bit of jiggery pokery with a mahic wand I managed to get the pads to contact properly but have not been 100% sure of them since.

Then last thursday on the way home from work managed to cook the pads.......this was following a line of traffic at quite a slow speed 30-50 country roads (although I did pre warm the pads with a little left foot breaking coming out of work as I have found they are rubbish from cold).

Took my car to my friendly local Kwik-Fit garage and left it with them sat morning, got a call to say it was all ready so headed back down:

Was told that although the pads were correct the paint on the pad guides (bits on each side of the flat surface to locate in the caliper) was too thick and was causing the pads, when applied to the discs and warming up, to expand into the caliper and sticking on. Hence getting very hot!! Eeeek

Kwik-Fit kindly deglazed my pads (which I was told were still fine and I hadnt warped my discs luckily) and had removed the extra offending paint.....

...the best bit was they didnt charge me either.......I guess I do go there a lot though......

Brakes are now more responsive, but until they are bedded in I wont be totally sure. I reckon my fluid needs changing, but intend to get some braded lines from K-tec, so will prob do the two jobs together.

Currently the left brake squeals under 20-60% braking.....if someone knows which it might be helpful to others in this thread: is this a toe in senario of the pad-to-disc or toe out, causing reverberation/squeal? Same as the squeal on mountain bike brakes....? Can it be fixed by putting a chamfer on the leading edge of the pads?

Cayman S Edition 1
Sounds like a nightmare mate. Glad you got it sorted.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, my mate removed the anti-rattle shim as the pads wouldn't fit in otherwise.

He was also careful about applying the copper grease to the edges and back of the pads.

have only done around 30miles since fitting, but have had NO sqealing whatsoever.

Braided lines are a good mvoe. We also flushed through 1 litre of castrol Dot4 fluid, but will prob do it again in a couple of thousand miles or so.

Golf GTD Mk7

Where are the bundle kits on the webby? Should be a good set up mate. Be interesting to see what the DS Performance pads are like.

Audi TT
I watched the guys at Angel works fit mine and can't remember a shim being removed. Everything seemed to get a coating of copper grease though. The squealing didn't start straight away it was after a few hundred miles so yours might start yet. If it stops dry this week I'll get the car up and have a look for these shims.

G

Cayman S Edition 1
I watched the guys at Angel works fit mine and can't remember a shim being removed. Everything seemed to get a coating of copper grease though. The squealing didn't start straight away it was after a few hundred miles so yours might start yet. If it stops dry this week I'll get the car up and have a look for these shims.

G

There's two on each caliper (top and bottom where the pad sits). If you've got them on, just lever off on opposite directions e.g. bottom one, lever upwards etc and they just ping off.

Would also re-grease the pads if this is the case.

My front pads are in need of replacement very soon, and I was thinking of getting a setup like this.
I was hoping that I might get the brembo max grooved, but I think the insurance comp would notice the difference between these and 'standard' discs, at least brembo hc's would look the same!
Would brembo grooved discs be considered a mod?! I could just say the discs needed replacement, and I was recommended these!

Cayman S Edition 1
Jay what are these like then? Im upgrading v. soon
Hi mate

So far so good. Still got a fair bit of running in to do, but the brake pedal is firmer and there's more of a reaction higher up in the pedal. i.e. when you just dab the pedal, you can feel the brakes now.

Still no squeaking!

At this stage I'm not confident to say whether I'd track it with performance pads on, but they seem great for fast road use.

End of the day you get what you pay for. They're not the most expensive pads, but with teh combination of new discs and braided lines, its a great move forward and I'm over the moon with the results.

rSi

Silver 182
Jay any chance of a longer term review?

how they doing and any info/help on fitting?

Ta

Si.