ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally the 1.6 16v Conversion Begins!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
well after nearly 7 months of planning and saving etc its ready to go ahead and get started.

Waterpump went on the 1.2 16v engine (been leaking for ages!) pissed coolant everywhere, waterpump bearing is completely screwed. engine overheated, was running very low on oil at the time due to the oil leak lol (had been filled up that week too!!) engine sounds like a bag of nails.

anyway on to the fun stuff....

cars sitting in my garage now, going to drop the engine out it this weekend hopefully, then phone matt black and get my conversion kit ordered and ready to go in.

the spec:

BASE CAR:
2002 1.2 16v Renault Clio Expression, Pearl Black

ENGINE:
Renault K4M 1600 16v DOHC
JB3 Renault gearbox
Supersprint Stainless tubular manifold
Supersprint Decat Pipe
Powerflow catback (from the 1.2, probably replace it with something else if im not happy with it on the new engine)
Pipercross pannel filter
Remap (possibly RS Tuning if i fancy the drive!)
Uprated 2.0 16v Engine mount with Powerflex/K-Tec polly bushes

CHASSIS:
FK Silverline X Coilovers (konigsport replacement)
Powerflex Uprated Polly Dogbone & anti roll bar bushes
OMP Front and Rear Strutbraces
Black Diamond 259mm Vented, Drilled & Grooved brake disks
EBC Greenstuff pads
Eagle F1 195/45

EXTERIOR:
Clio 172 colour coded door handles
Osram Diadem indicator bulbs front and back
PIAA Platinum Sidelights
PIAA Platinum dipped beam lights
Dynamique Spoiler
Dynamique Front Fogs
Ph2 Dynamique Wheels Anthracite
Ph2 Dynamique Wheels Silver
16" speedline Turinis Silver - For sale!

INTERIOR:
Dynamique Dial surrounds, dash inserts, gearknob, handbrake button, interior door handles.
Dynamique front and rear seats and door cards.
Dark colour interior plastics, parcel shelf and lower dash to replace horrid grey ones! - also came from a dynamique lol)

Future mods over the next 6 - 12 months:
Buckets and harnesses
4pot brakes
engine rebuilt, lightned and ballanced
headwork
cams
possibly throttle bodys after a year or 2 depending on how happy i am with the car.

Progress pics coming soon...

any comments, anything on the spec i should change? (especially the air filter, looked into the viper but was told not worth it?)

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
erm, cant use an uprated dogbone on the 1.6 dude.. Get an alloy one of a kangoo, lighter and stronger!

Image009.jpg

Chocolate Bar™
get ready for loads of hassle! fair play for giving it a go, but personally not heard of anyone doing a conversion without loads and loads and loads of hassle and expense.

BMW F31
just reading your list of stuff, i bought a pipercross panel filter 2 weeks ago, looked fine until i came to fit it into the airbox and doh, its back to front, turns out pipercross dont seem to make one, got a k&n in the end fitted it today and all is good ;)

if i were you its the least of your worries but check it fits ;)

M

mini-valver

Hoorah! Some competition, get ready to get your ass beat down ;) Just messing mate, impressive spec!

About the dogbone Andy, why not just get brand new bushes from Renault?? Any specific benefits of a Kangoo mount? Do all the dogbones fit from the diesals etc??

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
it's lighter and the construction of the rubber looks better. it feels tighter than the std mount too.. although ma exhaust has started rattling at idle now... :(

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
i agree wi the 2.0 conversion too btw...

with the amount of time, effort and cash your about to spend on it, within a month you'll be wishing it was a 2.0 block u put in!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i cant insure a 2.0 conversion cheply, 1.6 conversion i can insure cheap tho, already had quotes.

i could do a 2.0 conversion but a 900kg 1.6 clio pushing 180bhp would be pretty nice, although VERY VERY expensive to get there.

as for the hastle, i dont mind, i call it fun rather than hastle lol

the only thing that would possibly make me go for a 2.0 conversion is if the £1500 matt charges includes standard brakes and suspension as i cant afford to stick a 2.0 16v in along with coilovers and new brakes! not sure if this is included tho?!

BMW 330D
You dont know till you ask mate!
i would seriously go for the 2.0 conversion though, i reckon you would regret it after a while
im insured with adrian flux with my 2.0 hybrid with coilovers, 17" alloys, colour coded rs parts etc. £1285 with 1 NC with 1 accident in 2005.
A standard 172 would cost me £1600! so im quite chuffed with that quote!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol well im 18 1yrs ncb..... so 2.0 is probably a no no for less than £3500 a year, but might consider it, will hold off till pay day and see what ive got, might get a 2.0 conversion + coilovers.

does the kit come with hubs/brakes?

BMW 330D
I would say it would come with hubs to match the driveshafts etc. I dont know tbh though i didnt get all my bits and pieces from their. Phone Matt up next week sometime if he is there. He will happily have a chat with ya im sure. He knows his stuff!

CB600FS
8200 154 186 - You'll become familiar soon enough. Around £40 each

Edit jon beat me to it

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
Stiffen everything up, gearstick doesn't move about any more whilst your driving and its much nicer to use the box as its not moving around as much. Tradeoff is increased vibration on idle.